Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Saban retiring

Michchamp

ESPN just reported.

On one hand, I think he's overrated as a coach. I mean the way certain programs took paying recruits to a whole new level in the 00's was a sea change in college football, really making a big divide between the haves and have nots.

So that was a big wave Saban was already riding. I'm not saying he's not a very good coach, but like Urban Meyer, his failed attempt at going pro undermines him a lot. It's suspect when a guy can only win big when he's at an SEC program or Ohio State, and they're providing him with superior talent & paying his players with no-show jobs, cars, etc. to keep them "bought in" and motivated.

Unless Alabama hires a complete fucking idiot, they'll be fine, and will continue to dominate the SEC, and make the playoff with some regularity.

ON THE OTHER HAND... I don't know how many "very good" coaches are left. This will undoubtedly change the college football landscape, by either taking Alabama down a peg, or taking whoever they steal a coach from down a peg.

Five minutes after the announcement Colin Cowherd posts he?s ?heard? that Karen (sic) DeBoer and Dumbo (sic) Sweeney are possible candidates to replace Saban. Riiiiiiight ?.

Last edited:
people are noting Bear Bryant died 2 weeks after retiring from Alabama, and was three years younger than Saban at the time.

But he was a lifelong heavy drinker and smoker, and had already suffered a massive heart attack once before that and a stroke.

SEE back then (1983) people didn't know that drinking yourself stupid every day, and sucking massive amounts of tar and nicotine into your lungs could be bad for your health.

I noticed something wasn't right during the halftime interviews of the game with Michigan. He seemed down. No enthusiasm for the game. I suspect he had already decided that it was done.

I don?t care very much.

I guess I care enough to say how much I don?t very much care.

Which isn?t very much

Shorter opinion is best.

Especially when the longer opinion is so incredibly dumb. LSU wasn?t elite when he took over there and neither was Alabama and his run at Alabama was unmatched. He?s been successful at every college he?s coached including MSU. Literally every take in that post is moronic. Lots of college football coaches aren?t successful in the NFL. The idea that means they?re not great is absurd. Saban is easily one of the greatest coaches of all time in college football.

Also turd, Saban is or at least was a chain smoker and a complete hot head. I don?t know if he drank much though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Whatever.

Like a lot of you, I?ve been basking on this top of the hill feeling I?ve been waiting for for over a half century for.

Even going a quarter of a century ago, the sting of what was connived from Michigan nation still sticks in my craw.

people are noting Bear Bryant died 2 weeks after retiring from Alabama, and was three years younger than Saban at the time.

But he was a lifelong heavy drinker and smoker, and had already suffered a massive heart attack once before that and a stroke.

SEE back then (1983) people didn't know that drinking yourself stupid every day, and sucking massive amounts of tar and nicotine into your lungs could be bad for your health.

I attended an event as a reporter for a local newspaper where Bo spoke and he said in his speech that Bear wanted to retire several years earlier but he was concerned that that would result in the loss of jobs for his staff, so he stayed on longer than he wanted to.

Last edited:
I attended an event as a reporter for a local newspaper where Bo spoke and he said in his speech that Bear wanted to retire several years earlier but he was concerned that that would result in the loss of jobs for his staff, so he stayed on longer than he wanted to.

I don't know whether to dig deeper into the Bear Bryant story or not; I talk shit, but I think he was generally a decent guy, insofar as he looked out for his players and assistants in addition to himself. And supposedly he pushed for integration on the football team.

Yesterday, I read that when he was asked what he was going to do in retirement, said "probably croak in a week" or something close to that. I think he knew he was on borrowed time.

They don't really make them like that anymore...

Especially when the longer opinion is so incredibly dumb. LSU wasn?t elite when he took over there and neither was Alabama and his run at Alabama was unmatched. He?s been successful at every college he?s coached including MSU. Literally every take in that post is moronic. Lots of college football coaches aren?t successful in the NFL. The idea that means they?re not great is absurd. Saban is easily one of the greatest coaches of all time in college football.

Also turd, Saban is or at least was a chain smoker and a complete hot head. I don?t know if he drank much though.

Successful at MSU? Saban would disagree. One of the primary reasons why he left MSU was this:

?At Michigan State we were never No. 1,? Saban said. ?It was always Michigan this or that. (In) Ohio it would be Ohio State. In Indiana, it?s Purdue. Chicago, it?s every other school in the Big Ten. In the East, it?s Penn State. Wherever you go you?re looking at someone else when you?re recruiting, trying to convince someone you?re up there.?

Link to quote

Now Saban is on the record stating that he has no recollection of uttering this quote. No surprise that he would want to forget he ever said it.

?First of all, I don?t recall making a statement like that,? Saban said.

Link to denial

On the RCMB some of them seemed to be going above and beyond UM-hate-watching during the Rose Bowl, and were claiming Saban was still an MSU guy, or acting like this would be a moral victory for them since he "started" by "beating UM at MSU."

I'm not surprised they were rooting for Bama, but was surprised they seemed to be happy Saban would be their White Knight to accomplish it.

I recall they were a lot more negative about him when he left for LSU, and the first time they met in the post season, there was a bit of a grudge match thing, no? Bama won 49-7.

When you add that with the '15 Cotton Bowl, Saban's Alabama teams outscored MSU 87-7 in the two bowl games they played. Seems like he took some pleasure in those blowouts.

If you want to have a good laugh, go look up their predictions (and game thread) for their 2015 CFB playoff meeting...

That was quick: Kalen DeBoer from UWash "agrees" (according to ESPN's Greasy Pete Thamel) to take over Alabama job.

Not a great hire... but maybe it will work out. You'd think Alabama would hire someone with a longer track record guiding a major program. I wasn't impressed with Washington, anyways... Penix just chucked the ball a lot. That was their offense.

That was quick: Kalen DeBoer from UWash "agrees" (according to ESPN's Greasy Pete Thamel) to take over Alabama job.

Not a great hire... but maybe it will work out. You'd think Alabama would hire someone with a longer track record guiding a major program. I wasn't impressed with Washington, anyways... Penix just chucked the ball a lot. That was their offense.

Afraid to face Michigan again. Going to the soft SEC. And why would you want to live in Alabama?

Back