Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Scalia sucks

https://www.au.org/files/2012-07-23 (89) Opinion on rehearing en banc.pdf

This looks like the other side.

One part that jumps out at me is that after mentioning the cases used as precedence when before they appealed (cases like polling or post offices being ok in religious places) they said:
We do not question the vitality of those decisions; we underscore how this case differs. The difference is one of degree, not kind.

One thing that is probably significant is that the ceremony involves minors. They also claim that after the ceremony was moved to the new gymnasium, the school would not state that they would never again hold a function in the church. There were people manning a booth with religious material in 2002 and 2009 which is one of the first things they look to in there argument of application.

Monster, Champ, and other atheists on the board, have you ever attended a service of any kind in a church? A funeral...a wedding...anything? If so, you obviously were mentally stable enough to not be coerced away from your atheist preference, and those events are by far and away more filled with religious tones than a high school graduation could have been.

Now, should there have been people passing out religious stuff at a graduation? No! However, if the school was not endorsing the distribution of material, then wouldn't the lawsuit be more appropriately aimed at those individuals or groups who were distributing that material?

Some people overstepped their bounds apparently, but that happens on a daily basis to just about every person. Everyone decides whether or not their personal boundaries were violated to the point that some form of retaliation is warranted, whether verbal, physical, legal, or whatnot. The fact that this went to trial indicates that someone(s) decided to use this specific situation as a proving ground, but failed due to lack of any actual damages occurring. By that I mean no atheists were converted, threatened, harmed, or otherwise inflicted with any degree of injury that warranted a lawsuit.

Monster, Champ, and other atheists on the board, have you ever attended a service of any kind in a church? A funeral...a wedding...anything? If so, you obviously were mentally stable enough to not be coerced away from your atheist preference, and those events are by far and away more filled with religious tones than a high school graduation could have been.

You don't have to have intelligence to have some kind of faith in God. All you need is a desire and a slight understanding of the basics of the bible. However, it takes a lot more than just faith to become an atheist. You have to have some kind of intelligence, a seed of doubt (which most christians will not allow of themselves), and some understanding of science that will confirm their reason to doubt. Without those things, being an atheist is almost impossible. Then again, there are those atheists that just enjoy not having a god and don't care to learn about the world they live in. Those people are what I like to call "morons".

And I was a Christian for 27-28 years of my life. Wasn't a very good teenage Christian, but I still believed. I attended (voluntarily) bible club every wednesday after school until I was a teenager and even went to church on days when my family wasn't doing anything else that kept me from it.

And I'll disagree about your choice of words "atheist preference". My preference would be that God is real and since I'm a good person, I get to be with my family and friends when I die. That would be my preference.

Actually, I would prefer that Allah was real so I can have a pool full of virgins when I die.

I wish the Galactic Empire would come down and tell us to shut the fuck up about invisible deity's, God's, whatever anyone believes in and just ask us if we want
"in"
Or
"out"
Do we want the marvels of a advanced species and long health fill fulfillment and advancement or do we want to keep killing each other over religions...

I truly want to believe in a after life and God is a great presence and he is all powerful but he just let's to many things slide for my tastes..

Actually, I would prefer that Allah was real so I can have a pool full of virgins when I die.

I think you only get the virgins if you're a martyr so you'd have to be an extremist jihadi or be killed for your faith by a Hindu, Christian or Jewish extremist. And what if the virgins are a bunch of dudes that played Dungeons and Dragons, Magic: The Gathering and went to Star Trek conventions in full costume? Seems there are too many ways this thing doesn't work out for you. You need to do some serious upside/downside analysis...

Last edited:
I think you only get the virgins if you're a martyr so you'd have to be an extremist jihadi or be killed for your faith by a Hindu, Christian or Jewish extremist. And what if the virgins are a bunch of dudes that played Dungeons and Dragons, Magic: The Gathering and went to Star Trek conventions in full costume? Seems there are too many ways this thing doesn't work out for you. You need to do some serious upside/downside analysis...

wow. I never thought of that. The 9/11 hijackers might be getting some geek virgin gay love from some justin bieber clones. You, my friend, are a jeanyus.

wow. I never thought of that. The 9/11 hijackers might be getting some geek virgin gay love from some justin bieber clones. You, my friend, are a jeanyus.

One can only hope that is their fate. But I can't take credit for the idea, I originally saw the joke years ago on Family Guy. This seems like the ideal time to post my very first youtube link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dxpMTFBg48

Last edited:
I wonder who gets to decide what hate speech is.

Nobody.

To my knowledge, there are no laws or ordinances against anything specifically defined as "hate speech."

There are laws and ordinances against profanity (in certain situations) and obscenity (situational again), libel, and inciting or 'fighting words' - "those which by their very utterances inflict injury or tend to incite an immediate breach of the peace." - per Wikipedia, Chaplinsky v. New Hampshire, 315 U.S. 568, 572 (1942).

Nobody.

To my knowledge, there are no laws or ordinances against anything specifically defined as "hate speech."

There are laws and ordinances against profanity (in certain situations) and obscenity (situational again), libel, and inciting or 'fighting words' - "those which by their very utterances inflict injury or tend to incite an immediate breach of the peace." - per Wikipedia, Chaplinsky v. New Hampshire, 315 U.S. 568, 572 (1942).

criminalizing hate speech (not hate crime, which is different) or "fighting words" or "fightin' words" as they say, is always a waste of time, and courts have always struck those down.

with some exceptions, courts have generally upheld everyone's right to be a bigot and a racist if they want.

what gets irritating is when bigots and racists believe their first amendment right to be bigots and racists means others have to accept their views without consequences, or their views have to be enforced by the government.

You, Leonard is a dude like this who seems to get substantial bootie nevertheless.

You, Leonard is a dude like this who seems to get substantial bootie nevertheless.

And it's probably that crazy, freaky variety we all dream about but even if it's true, I'm guessing he is more the exception than the norm...

Last edited:
Back