Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Secret Superstars: Willie Young

Ha...nice one. Another guy who doesn't like Avril and THINKS Young can step right in. Priceless....

Ha...nice one. Another guy who doesn't like Avril and THINKS Young can step right in. Priceless....

Pro Football Focus is about as good as we're gonna get for player scouting analysis short of speaking to real nfl scouts. They don't hate Avril, but they're definitely high on Young.

Young, LoJack, and Cliff all on their last year. At least Young is restricted.

Pro Football Focus is about as good as we're gonna get for player scouting analysis short of speaking to real nfl scouts. They don't hate Avril, but they're definitely high on Young.

and KVB's neck.....he might be the first real live bobblehead

young needs to put on weight and i think we could have our next good DE of the future

I thought that Pro Football Focus was just another blog written by an average Joe. No?

I thought that Pro Football Focus was just another blog written by an average Joe. No?

Nah, its a group that analyzes every single play, gives points for each player per play, and then gives them overall grades. They also distinguish between run plays, pass rush, ect. So you can see what each player excels at, and what they struggle with.

Its up to you to judge how good they are at scouting, I'm not sure of the credentials. But hell, watching every single NFL play for a few years will teach you a lot on its own. I'm not saying you take it as gospel, but the info seems to be the most thorough I've seen online. As a plus, Rotoworld frequently references them.

Here's their explanation:
http://www.profootballfocus.com/about/
The aim of this site is simple; “to provide the most in-depth, accurate and thought-provoking information on professional football player performance available on the web”. Each week our team spend hours analyzing games to provide you with information you simply can’t get anywhere else. Which TE is the best blocker for run and for pass? Which Cornerback is the best run defender? Which Tackle was the worst pass protector in 2010? It’s all here.

We have other data to share with you which goes to a level we haven’t seen available previously; our Player Participation logs show not only which players were in on each offensive and defensive play but what position they played and what action they took. On Special Teams we grade not just the Returners but also the coverage and blocking units. Whether it’s need to know or nice to know we try to measure it.

Last edited:
Nah, its a group that analyzes every single play, gives points for each player per play, and then gives them overall grades. They also distinguish between run plays, pass rush, ect. So you can see what each player excels at, and what they struggle with.

Its up to you to judge how good they are at scouting, I'm not sure of the credentials. But hell, watching every single NFL play for a few years will teach you a lot on its own. I'm not saying you take it as gospel, but the info seems to be the most thorough I've seen online. As a plus, Rotoworld frequently references them.

Here's their explanation:
http://www.profootballfocus.com/about/
The aim of this site is simple; ?to provide the most in-depth, accurate and thought-provoking information on professional football player performance available on the web?. Each week our team spend hours analyzing games to provide you with information you simply can?t get anywhere else. Which TE is the best blocker for run and for pass? Which Cornerback is the best run defender? Which Tackle was the worst pass protector in 2010? It?s all here.

We have other data to share with you which goes to a level we haven?t seen available previously; our Player Participation logs show not only which players were in on each offensive and defensive play but what position they played and what action they took. On Special Teams we grade not just the Returners but also the coverage and blocking units. Whether it?s need to know or nice to know we try to measure it.

Cool. I had no idea it was that insightful.

I'll be keeping an eye on it. Thanks, bro...

Is this the same website that said Stafford was one of the five worst QB's?

No, but due to his unspectacular play in the middle of the season, he's ranked in the 80s in the their top 100 overall players. To be fair, though, they acknowledge that the injury might have been a reason for the bad play (they don't factor it in), and they note that his play late in the year was on an elite level.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/04/29/pff-top-101-of-2011-90-to-81/
81. Matthew Stafford, QB, Detroit Lions

Is this the first controversial one? Stafford threw for over 5,000 yards, completed 63.5% and ended up with a 41 to 16 touchdown to interception ratio. Surely those are the numbers of a guy who should be in the top 10? Not for us because at the end of the day, they?re just numbers. Stafford?s number certainly benefited from throwing the ball more in the regular season than any other QB (663 times) and having an out-of-this-world receiver to throw to. What concerned us about Stafford was while he finished the season hot he was pretty poor through the middle stretch of the season. Blame it on injury, but this list doesn?t recognize injury, and nor does that reasoning excuse the shocking number of bad decisions he made. However, even with that mid-season bout of extremely poor play, Stafford was good value for a spot in the top 101, after some late season work that showed exactly what he is capable of. Those last three games are the ones people will point to in saying we?re crazy but try re-watching his play away at the Bears and on Thanksgiving to get the balance.

No, but due to his unspectacular play in the middle of the season, he's ranked in the 80s in the their top 100 overall players. To be fair, though, they acknowledge that the injury might have been a reason for the bad play (they don't factor it in), and they note that his play late in the year was on an elite level.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/04/29/pff-top-101-of-2011-90-to-81/
81. Matthew Stafford, QB, Detroit Lions

Is this the first controversial one? Stafford threw for over 5,000 yards, completed 63.5% and ended up with a 41 to 16 touchdown to interception ratio. Surely those are the numbers of a guy who should be in the top 10? Not for us because at the end of the day, they?re just numbers. Stafford?s number certainly benefited from throwing the ball more in the regular season than any other QB (663 times) and having an out-of-this-world receiver to throw to. What concerned us about Stafford was while he finished the season hot he was pretty poor through the middle stretch of the season. Blame it on injury, but this list doesn?t recognize injury, and nor does that reasoning excuse the shocking number of bad decisions he made. However, even with that mid-season bout of extremely poor play, Stafford was good value for a spot in the top 101, after some late season work that showed exactly what he is capable of. Those last three games are the ones people will point to in saying we?re crazy but try re-watching his play away at the Bears and on Thanksgiving to get the balance.

Da Fuuuuuuuuuuuu

Back