Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Shortstop

Avi Garcia was a 5-tool player and thats why i really dont like giving him up, i didnt know too much about Iggy but since the trade I've read up on him and see he has basically no power, little speed and a declining average. If we did this just to get a good defensive SS why didnt we go into the minors and get a young, raw, athletic Venezuelan SS? Im not happy with giving up such a good young talent

From Rotowire.."Tigers general manager Dave Dombrowski admitted that he acquired Iglesias as insurance in case Jhonny Peralta is suspended"..

Sure doesn't sound like this deal was so much about acquiring the "OMG SUPER TALENTED BEST DEFENSIVE PLAYER EVER!" Iglesias as it was about making sure we actually have someone to replace Peralta.

I get the idea you mostly dislike it because you think Garcia is a better player. Correct me if I'm wrong.

IMO, Garcia is a bit overrated.

We haven't really had a good young defensive shortstop since Trammell left. It feels good to have some stability there now. The team is better having him here than Peralta. Remember just last year, we were all tired of Jhonny (finished with a sub .700 OPS in 2012). Yea his offense has perked back up this year (roids?), but I doubt it would have lasted into October, when we probably would have lost him anyway as a free agent.

Bottom line is, what were the Tigers weaknesses that most fans would mention when talking about whether we could win a World Series? Defense, and the bullpen. The Tigers improved both at the deadline, I'm very happy. It remains to see what Garcia will become, but if he wasn't ready to help out the team THIS year, then he was tradeable. The Tigers are trying to win now. It's an added luxury that they now have a SS locked up for years to come.

Avi Garcia was a 5-tool player and thats why i really dont like giving him up, i didnt know too much about Iggy but since the trade I've read up on him and see he has basically no power, little speed and a declining average. If we did this just to get a good defensive SS why didnt we go into the minors and get a young, raw, athletic Venezuelan SS? Im not happy with giving up such a good young talent

If he was a 5 tool player he would have played every day and we would have gotten a lot more for him. I think you're overestimating him just a bit.

Where do you get the little speed from? He might not be a burner but he looks like he has some speed.

Edit: He had 13 infield hits this season.

Last edited:
If that's out future middle infield, then wow.. not good.

What's you beef with Perez now? The kid has made steady progress every single year he has played, and he's hitting .278 at the MLB level...and he's only 22!

Just last week you were telling us all how you knew Castellanos was better then Dirks, though when you were questioned about how you knew, you just deflected or avoided it, now you know how these two might do in the future?

From Rotowire.."Tigers general manager Dave Dombrowski admitted that he acquired Iglesias as insurance in case Jhonny Peralta is suspended"..

Sure doesn't sound like this deal was so much about acquiring the "OMG SUPER TALENTED BEST DEFENSIVE PLAYER EVER!" Iglesias as it was about making sure we actually have someone to replace Peralta.

You're ignoring the rest of the press conference where DD said that they had been targeting Iglesias for a while regardless of Peralta's suspension because we need a new SS after this season and this was a good time to get him given Boston's desire to get Peavy and their inability to close a 2-team deal with the White Sox. DD didnt get him to be a stopgap, he got him to be our SS for the next like 6 years.

"But we have always thought at some point we might have to trade one of our young outfielders for another hole that we would have for the future. And so there were a lot of contributing factors here, but the biggest thing was we got a real good player we think can play for us for a long time.

We know we have a free agent at second base, a free agent at shortstop, some free agents in the bullpen, and all of a sudden, where I wasn?t so sure where we?d be going with that, I think we?re in a spot where our goal is not only to be good this year, and the last couple of years, but to be good for years to come."

http://www.blessyouboys.com/2013/7/...nsis-suspension-ozzie-vizquel-mlbl/in/4339101

Seriously, this stuff isn't hard to look up.

Garcia is not a prospect I was fond of, not going to lose sleep over him.

Too bad that it wasn't Dirks instead of Garcia, but of course the neck had to have a slow start to the season, and in the same amount of games so far (88) as in all of last season, he has a statline of 395 ABs (314) 38 runs (56) 76 hits (101) 9 2B (18) 1 3B (5) 7 HR (9) 25 RBI (35) 25 BB (23) 62 K (53) 7 SB (1) 1 CS (1) .248 BA (.322).306 OBP (.370) .353 SLG and and a .659 OPS (.857) Last seaon's stats are in parenthesis)

Of course Avisail is ~ 5 years younger than Andy and has much more upside, but the Tigers could have tried to throw in another minor-leaguer to sweeten the deal. But since the pale hose obtained Casper Wells from the Mariners, he has been pretty damned awful @ the plate with a slashline of .164/.227/.180 and an OPS of a puny .498. This in 61 ABs and has no homers and on;ly 1 double out of merely 10 hits. So that is likely the main reason why they wanted Garcia.

There is one thing about this that is a little bit concerning to me. With the increased range at short that opens up the possibilities of a lot more bang bang plays at first and frantic throws that require a sure handed first basemen to pick. Fielder is the exact opposite of this. We could see a rise in errors actually if you think about it. So instead of a ball getting past Peralta for a single into left, Iglesias gets to it and throws to first only to have Fielder botch it lol. I hope we don't see that too often!

Last edited:
There is one thing about this that is a little bit concerning to me. With the increased range at short that opens up the possibilities of a lot more bang bang plays at first and frantic throws that require a sure handed first basemen to pick. Fielder is the exact opposite of this. We could see a rise in errors actually if you think about it. So instead of a ball getting past Peralta for a single into left, Iglesias gets to it and throws to first only to have Fielder botch it lol. I hope we don't see that too often!

A possible error or a base hit? I don't see it bud..

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to say I prefer Peralta defensively over Iglesias. I just wish we had a better first basemen over there than Prince, who really should be a DH if you ask me. I don't like the idea of guys getting a free pass to second because Fielder can't pick a throw and it gets by him. We see enough of that already.

Last edited:
Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to say I prefer Peralta defensively over Iglesias. I just wish we had a better first basemen over there than Prince, who really should be a DH if you ask me.

He might (and probably should) in a few years, and miggy will likely shift back to 1st. It might be hard to make him do it though, he doesnt like DHing much last i heard. At least, probably not full time.

Last edited:
We had to it, at least for the short term. Either Prince at 1st, Miggy at 3rd or Prince DH, Miggy at first and Inge at 3rd.

Hopefully Iggy saves more runs with his glove than he loses with his bat.

Yeah,Prince is going to have to be just a "tad" more nimble to catch more throws to first from short...with more pepper on them...gahh!!

At any rate no matter how good offensively that the Tigers may be in the top 5-6 of the lineups....,they can ill afford to then have 3-4 black holes come to the plate in succession in nearly every game.

Perez seems to becoming along fine, I hope that trend continues and when Infante finally returns it will only be a few weeks (week?) (days??) before the September roster expansion takes place.. Avila has also recently perked up a bit from being pure trash with the bat, but could regress/slump anytime due to fatigue, aches and pains....and Prince needs to snap out of his batting funk, b/c only doing so briefly and intermittently every few games, just isn't gonna cut it.

If Iggy indeed is going to be the Tigers' starting SS for the forseeable future, and Perez is going to be his counterpart @ 2B, then DD is going to have to see to it that the rest of the starting lineups will have the power hitting to cover for the lack of same by both middle IFers. Not posting that they are missing much of it now (Miggy and Omar's absence notwithstanding). but it will need to be maintained if not better still, improved.

I just want to see Iggy and Perez play at the same time. See what they got. i like what ive seen out of Perez so far, and i think Iggy reports Friday right? We should see Nick called up for the September expansion so we will get a good look at our future. Now with Smyly, Veras, and Benoit, our bullpen looks much better. Plus Rondon has looked good from what ive seen.

Back