Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

should linehan go?

The Mad Bomber said:
Nobody thinks Stafford is horrific. But his last 2 games, have been. And to levy blame on anybody other than him is just lookin at it through rose colored glasses. Our Oline hasn't been dominant, but Stafford hasn't done them any favors either.

We don't have top 10 Tackles. But I don't think that's a surprise to anybody, least of all Stafford. So having full on knowledge of that fact, you'd think he'd learn how to help them out (Step into the pocket)

The last 2 weeks, he hasn't shown the pocket pressence you look for of an NFL QB.

Nobody is asking him to be Aaron Rodgers, but I want something between Rodgers and Joey Harrington.

It's a vicious cycle though. Because the O-Line has played poorly, he's sensing phantom pressure and getting happy feet. He doesn't step into the pocket, and feels more comfortable rolling out where he knows where the pressure is. Obviously, he's less accurate, limits his options downfield, and doesn't help out the tackles when he does this.

Maybe he has his injury history in the back of his mind, maybe he just needs to readjust the clock in his head after watching film, but clearly he's not comfortable and doesn't trust his O-Line.

deuce said:
The Mad Bomber said:
Nobody thinks Stafford is horrific. But his last 2 games, have been. And to levy blame on anybody other than him is just lookin at it through rose colored glasses. Our Oline hasn't been dominant, but Stafford hasn't done them any favors either.

We don't have top 10 Tackles. But I don't think that's a surprise to anybody, least of all Stafford. So having full on knowledge of that fact, you'd think he'd learn how to help them out (Step into the pocket)

The last 2 weeks, he hasn't shown the pocket pressence you look for of an NFL QB.

Nobody is asking him to be Aaron Rodgers, but I want something between Rodgers and Joey Harrington.

It's a vicious cycle though. Because the O-Line has played poorly, he's sensing phantom pressure and getting happy feet. He doesn't step into the pocket, and feels more comfortable rolling out where he knows where the pressure is. Obviously, he's less accurate, limits his options downfield, and doesn't help out the tackles when he does this.

Maybe he has his injury history in the back of his mind, maybe he just needs to readjust the clock in his head after watching film, but clearly he's not comfortable and doesn't trust his O-Line.

I remember reading somewhere, even with a limited history, Staff put up nice numbers rolling out. Maybe not the last game or two, I didn't take note but he's always been good in that regard. But I do notice he's throwing from his back foot a lot. And maybe even side arming one too many.

[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]
deuce said:

I remember reading somewhere, even with a limited history, Staff put up nice numbers rolling out. Maybe not the last game or two, I didn't take note but he's always been good in that regard. But I do notice he's throwing from his back foot a lot. And maybe even side arming one too many.

When Matt sets his feet and steps into his throws, there isn't a better arm in the NFL - that's a fact.

But when you take that he's already got Average Offensive Tackles, and you add now that he's drifting back and drifting back on every pass play, that's not doing them any favors, and it's not doing himself any favors in accuracy or arm strength.

Hopefully his ankle injury will keep his ass more in the pocket where he does his best work.

Back