Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Should There be a Separate Board for Anti-Religion

1. There is a separation of church and state, guaranteed by our constitution. Or do you just ignore that part?

2. See #1

3. See #1

The government should not endorse or promote any religion or non-religion. Period. Anyone who is offended by Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, Happy (insert religious holiday) should have their fucking heads checked. It's not an insult, but a way to wish someone well.

If the cross is removed doesn't that endorse non-religion?

If the cross is removed doesn't that endorse non-religion?

No. that endorses the idea of separation of church and state. If they put an atheist symbol on the government building THAT would be endorsing non-religion.

No. that endorses the idea of separation of church and state. If they put an atheist symbol on the government building THAT would be endorsing non-religion.

I didn't realize atheist had a symbol.

Learn something new everyday.

I'm not that old so how in the hell would I know.

But now that it's there what's the point of removing it?

I really don't care one way or the other since I only see it as a relic from the past. But I could see how some could misinterpret it as a promotion of a single deity from a particular religious sect, especially in a country defined as a melting pot of cultures.

Aren't there better sayings out there that could accurately represent this country?

Last edited:
I didn't realize atheist had a symbol.

Learn something new everyday.

There's a few. Not really anything official, but there are some that are recognized as atheist symbols.

This is one...

Atheist_symbol.jpg

There's also a walking jesus fish, a nod to darwin and a scarlet red A. Some others that I can't remember right off hand, but whatever.

There's a few. Not really anything official, but there are some that are recognized as atheist symbols.

This is one...

Atheist_symbol.jpg

There's also a walking jesus fish, a nod to darwin and a scarlet red A. Some others that I can't remember right off hand, but whatever.

I've seen that I always thought it was Adobe.

They should just put $ symbols on every government building.

I really don't care one way or the other since I only see it as a relic from the past. But I could see how some could misinterpret it as a promotion of a single deity from a particular religious sect, especially in a country defined as a melting pot of cultures.

Aren't there better sayings out there that could accurately represent this country?

You're not going to get 300m to agree on anything. You could use a flag only (we are America) but then the people who only support the confederate flag. You could put a peanut butter sandwich on money (good eats) and it will be opposed.

You're not going to get 300m to agree on anything. You could use a flag only (we are America) but then the people who only support the confederate flag. You could put a peanut butter sandwich on money (good eats) and it will be opposed.

If 300 million people won't agree on anything, wouldn't the best solution be to remove it?

There are a lot of cool holidays around the end of the year besides Christmas; that's why people say "Happy Holidays."

The holidays include Christmas; nobody is snubbing Christmas when they say "Happy Holidays."

this nation was not founded upon the idea that everyone will agree on something. hell, they didn't even agree that they should be a separate nation from the UK. at no point has everyone in this nation agreed on something. there are things you will like and things you won't, and sometimes those views will be polar opposites of many others.

There are a lot of cool holidays around the end of the year besides Christmas; that's why people say "Happy Holidays."

The holidays include Christmas; nobody is snubbing Christmas when they say "Happy Holidays."

they are possibly snubbing atheists, no? the word holidays being derived from Holy Days.

not being a jerk here, actually my PC side is being respectful of the atheists in this comment and not intended to be coming across negatively to them.

maybe we should shorten it to Happy Days, but then everyone will be singing that song throughout that timeframe and I don't think many want that to be THE song stuck in their head every year.

How about this...

7c5982ae4a5b319236816d4670a0a81c42a25f09a343d5ce79982f5518329365.jpg

or...

atheist.jpeg

or this...

large.jpg

BUT DON'T WORRY....

d27ab1c5f4f1a9260f98c1ae8432fe6f.jpg

I was being serious...and no, I don't really find any of those to be a great slogan, poster, quote, or anything powerful.

For instance, I greatly admire the Canadian National Anthem. I'm not going to become Canadian because of it, but I can appreciate the artistry and content that binds the Canadian people through it.

none of the things I've seen here (yet) give me anything remotely close to that admiration. seems like with all of the talented artists and brilliant minds who are atheists and want to promote their movement would be capable of coming up with something better.

this nation was not founded upon the idea that everyone will agree on something. hell, they didn't even agree that they should be a separate nation from the UK. at no point has everyone in this nation agreed on something. there are things you will like and things you won't, and sometimes those views will be polar opposites of many others.

Well you said it better than I ever could so I'll exit stage left, err I mean right.

So in other words, people are different? I never would've known.

Why should they? You get bent out of shape because a govt building has a cross on it or money has GOD on it?

If I'm not suppose to be offended by things like Wal-Mart greeters than maybe you shouldn't be effected by the above sentence which doesn't effect your like at all. It's almost like you want the cross to be removed just for the hell of it.

I'm not bent out of shape by anything. But I do believe it shows unfair bias if you have a symbol on a government building or courthouse that only applies to some but not all. That's oppression.

And it's not just atheists that would be offended by a cross on a government building, how about jews, muslims, buddhists, scientologists, hindus, paegans, etc. ?

This nation was founded on religious freedom, which is why religion should be a personal, spiritual thing. If you truly believe you don't need to see a cross or the ten commandments in a courthouse, you carry those things in your heart correct?

I'm not bent out of shape by anything. But I do believe it shows unfair bias if you have a symbol on a government building or courthouse that only applies to some but not all. That's oppression.

And it's not just atheists that would be offended by a cross on a government building, how about jews, muslims, buddhists, scientologists, hindus, paegans, etc. ?

This nation was founded on religious freedom, which is why religion should be a personal, spiritual thing. If you truly believe you don't need to see a cross or the ten commandments in a courthouse, you carry those things in your heart correct?

Not one thing symbols all of us. I guess you could make all buildings plain with no image or words. Of course you'll get a group after them because they don't like the color of green they used to paint the building. "Because green symbolizes the Irish and I hate the Irish"

Not one thing symbols all of us. I guess you could make all buildings plain with no image or words. Of course you'll get a group after them because they don't like the color of green they used to paint the building. "Because green symbolizes the Irish and I hate the Irish"

Wow. You were doing so well until the last two sentences.

Back