Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

SI most overrated team

brewer229

A number of Lions make the list:

Quarterback: Matthew Stafford, Lions

If we re-examine this list at the end of the season, it?s possible that Andrew Luck may be our quarterback. But for now, it?s Stafford, who has had more time in the league to develop his game and certainly more weapons. You give Luck Calvin Johnson, Golden Tate and a credible backfield, and he?d probably do better than Stafford?s numbers so far this season: 193 completions on 299 attempts for 2,083 yards, 13 touchdowns and 11 picks. More worrisome than Stafford?s stats in any given season is the simple fact that he hasn?t really grown mechanically. He still believes too much in his arm and relies too much on odd delivery angles and outlier plays. Yes, the coaching situation in Detroit doesn?t help, but more can and should be expected from a seven-year veteran with eight-figure cap hits through 2017.

Offensive line: Detroit Lions

Last season, the Lions allowed 27 sacks and 173 total pressures on 667 passing plays, about middle of the pack in the NFL. This season, they?ve already allowed 12 sacks and 127 total pressures on 372 passing plays. According to Pro Football Focus, only the Chargers? injury-depleted line has allowed more heat. There?s no question that the tackles are the main problem?right tackle LaAdrian Waddle has allowed more pressures than any other offensive lineman this season, and the team?s insistence that Riley Reiff could be an upper-level left tackle has returned mixed results at best. Center Travis Swanson has regressed, and the guards, led by rookie Laken Tomlinson and the formerly great Larry Warford, have not lived up to expectations. There?s a lot of money and draft capital tied up in this line, and outside of the quarterback it protects, it may very well be Detroit?s biggest disappointment this season.

Head coach: Jim Caldwell, Lions

Caldwell got the Tony Dungy Seal of Approval that the Super Bowl-winning coach loves to give to all of his assistants, and it looked like the Lions made the right move by hiring Caldwell in 2014. This season, though, it?s all fallen apart. The decision to re-do the offensive staff seems to be just a shuffling of deck chairs on the Titanic, and Caldwell?s comments Tuesday that the media?s negativity toward his 1?7 team is an issue shows just how desperate he is for any message to stick.

http://www.si.com/nfl/2015/11/03/2015-midseason-all-overrated-team

Even the national media is negative, they just don't understand how unlucky the Lions are.

Even the national media is negative, they just don't understand how unlucky the Lions are.

Yeah!!! If SI would just do a story about Caldwell's cat and how well it is trained, we could win a few more games.

Never more than after the KC game. Everyone, and it's deserving, is just ripping the Lions.

What a riveting article!! Brilliant SI writers ripping apart a team that is 1-7. This is pullitzer prize winning shit right there.

Want to know what team is overrated though? The Atlanta Falcons.....thats who.

What a riveting article!! Brilliant SI writers ripping apart a team that is 1-7. This is pullitzer prize winning shit right there.

Want to know what team is overrated though? The Atlanta Falcons.....thats who.

He picked the most under performing player/unit from all the players in the nfl. Which do you disagree with?

He picked the most under performing player/unit from all the players in the nfl. Which do you disagree with?

I'd put Luck over Stafford if you ask me. With the way that this kid was anointed "Jesus Christ the QB", this has to be the worse job by a QB in a long time. At least with Stafford, normal people already know what you're getting. You're getting a better than average QB for the most part. Luck is already Godlike. So who's overrated again? I'm kinda confused...

I'd put Luck over Stafford if you ask me. With the way that this kid was anointed "Jesus Christ the QB", this has to be the worse job by a QB in a long time. At least with Stafford, normal people already know what you're getting. You're getting a better than average QB for the most part. Luck is already Godlike. So who's overrated again? I'm kinda confused...

I think I would agree. I really think that Luck has been injured this year but strictly based on actual performance and what everyone expected...Luck has been a bigger disappointment so far this year.

Back