Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Smartest man in the world: I'm an atheist.

The gravitational pull of the moon causes a swell in the ocean (tides). The Earth rotates faster than the moon orbits so this swell doesn't line up exactly with the moon's position; it gets pulled a little bit ahead of the moon. The asymmetric shape of the Earth and its oceans yields an asymmetric gravitational field. The swell of the ocean being a little bit ahead of the moon yields a gravitation pull that's not straight towards the center of the Earth, but little bit in the direction of the swell. For this reason, the moon is picking up speed and therefore moving to a higher orbit. It's drifting away from the Earth at a rate of about an inch and a half per year.

I think.

The gravitational pull of the moon causes a swell in the ocean (tides). The Earth rotates faster than the moon orbits so this swell doesn't line up exactly with the moon's position; it gets pulled a little bit ahead of the moon. The asymmetric shape of the Earth and its oceans yields an asymmetric gravitational field. The swell of the ocean being a little bit ahead of the moon yields a gravitation pull that's not straight towards the center of the Earth, but little bit in the direction of the swell. For this reason, the moon is picking up speed and therefore moving to a higher orbit. It's drifting away from the Earth at a rate of about an inch and a half per year.

I think.

Sure, but try to tell that to Bill O, his viewing audience, or zyxt. It's like talking to a brick wall.

Sure, but try to tell that to Bill O, his viewing audience, or zyxt. It's like talking to a brick wall.

Bill said he'd listen if we had the answers to those questions. That's why comments are disabled for the video. He doesn't want to listen.

Bill O is on my list of people i wish would fall into volcanoes.

Bill O is an idiot, and a gigantic one at that, but I actually have less issue with him, than I do with people who buy his books and watch his show religiously.

It's the idiots that prop his ratings up that allow him to be an idiot on such a large scale in the first place.

this is a misguided line of reasoning (if you can even call it that). Science isn't supposed to have "answers." science is just a method of testing hypotheses, and investigating existing phenomena.

and by the way... as a method of explaining the physical laws of the universe (and there are no other kind) science works. religion doesn't.

what if we go with the premise that your Hebrew god doesn't exist? And can you explain the basis for the statement that science should be "considered" in its infancy? Whatever that means...

let's review:

1. YOU brought God into this when you started the thread.

2. I not once specified "my Hebrew God"...which for the record I do not own, control, or in any fashion claim superiority or governance over any God.

3. I specifically left God in as ambiguous manner as possible, even provided for the feelings of atheists in very clear terms. If you are incapable of understanding that, it would be a YOU problem, not a me problem.

4. As always, you got all bent at the mere thought that I was actually invoking God or defending religion. At no point did I proclaim superiority of religion, tried to argue God's existence, or any other elemental religious things. Yet you have chosen to attack me and my religious beliefs in a personal way, acting out like an internet bully. Sorry, I don't back down to bullies and I will continue to call you out on this to whatever degree is necessary.

5. I have a very good understanding of physics, math, geology, chemistry, astronomy, and other scientific and technological areas. Science most certainly DOES have answers, solutions, resolutions, and quantifications or whatever synonym you wish to toss around casually. I have immense respect for Science, and I at no time disputed the ability of Science to provide us insights into the universe. I am very much a man of Science, so please do not ever make the mistake that I place inaccurate information from biblical or other theological answers above the answers Science has provided to date.

6. YOU proclaimed Hawking the "smartest man in the world". I merely cast doubt that such a title is befitting him and provided ample support to my reasoning.

As for why I said Science is in its infancy, that should be abundantly clear from my previous post. There is far too much that Science does not know or understand even about Earth, let alone the Moon, Sun, Planets, other solar systems, galaxies, atoms, sub-atomic particles, and these are just some of the physics based things that Science barely understands. How many people are upset because in their opinion we have explored more of the moon and space than we have our own oceans? We have yet to reach the Earth's mantle and only recently have theorized a very thin layer that might exist between the crust and mantle. Technological advances have been awesome in the past 100 years, yet so many things are yet to be developed. Modern medicine has come a long way, yet so many medical issues are waiting for cures. So many things Science still has to uncover, the list is astronomical.

Still, I'm not counting on Religion to provide those answers, I am counting on Science...but that does not make me atheistic or agnostic, for those opinions are not ones I share and I have a right to my opinion, do I not Mr. Lawyer? Do I and others not have the right to believe as we individually and freely choose?

I have 3 books by Hawking, one Bible, and one Idiot's Guide to World Religions. Pretty good mix. Add my book on Designing Great Beers to the stack, and you can live in harmony as long as Michigan doesn't lose too many games.

BTW, I know all about tidal forces and gravitational pulls and how all of those things result in the Earth being an oblate spheroid and resulting in the moon's continual higher orbit.

Furthermore, I do not watch Bill O and always found him to be a pompous ass even if I did agree with a portion of his views. He does not actually listen to his "guests" (an insult to call them that as opposed to something more akin to "silenced participants" for lack of a better term). For that I blame the Media...including Social Media...for that is the way people now interact, being the bigger bully.

Of course, you use his tactics to the best of your ability around here. Problem for you is this board is not your show and you cannot cut people off because you have to go to commercial or have run out of time, so those you bully actually have the opportunity to call you on it and fire back.

Sucks to be you, eh? Maybe you should try to get on TV and have your own show, that way you can be a Liberal Bill O. Good luck with that!!! No seriously...you can host Bill O or go on his show and see which of you is the bigger bully. I will be sure NOT to tune in, but you can have fun claiming to the world that you beat him, whether you did or not...but in all honestly Bill O sux even compared to you as you actually have sane moments, few and far between as they might be. Bill O is just a pure raving lunatic...so my money is on you winning and making Bill O look like the ass clown he is. Congrats on your victory in advance!

I have 3 books by Hawking, one Bible, and one Idiot's Guide to World Religions. Pretty good mix. Add my book on Designing Great Beers to the stack, and you can live in harmony as long as Michigan doesn't lose too many games.

This year looks like you will need to break out a few more books unfortunately. :(

And more beer.

And stuff stronger than beer.

BTW, I know all about tidal forces and gravitational pulls and how all of those things result in the Earth being an oblate spheroid and resulting in the moon's continual higher orbit.

...more concerned with prolate spheroids though.

Last edited:
...more concerned with prolate spheroids though.

well yeah, especially since so many are in the form of comets or worse -asteroids that are missing us by less than the distance of the moon.

and those are just the smaller varieties. just imagine what the big ones will do to us!

maybe when Andromeda collides with the Milky Way we will find out what happens. That's only 4 billion years away, give or take a few million. Granted they don't project many actual collisions of stars or planets...but still, YOU NEVER CAN BE TOO CAREFUL when it comes to prolate spheroids!!!! tricky buggers that they are!

well yeah, especially since so many are in the form of comets or worse -asteroids that are missing us by less than the distance of the moon.

and those are just the smaller varieties. just imagine what the big ones will do to us!

Not 4 billion years from now...Saturday.

wilson-football-tdj-350.jpg

Last edited:
Well those are the trickiest prolate spheroids of all, obviously. Nearly a daily cause of emotional distress, which is why they are the worst, they actually can get into your thoughts and cause a wide variety of emotions. Be especially careful with them, their catastrophic results can be life altering at best.

Back