Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Some real bullshit happening

Michchamp

There is apparently some legs to this story, not just twitter rumors.

Harbaugh to be suspended first four games of the season, with some punishments handed down to members of his staff as well.

These negotiations date back to January, when sources confirmed to the Free Press that Harbaugh would not admit to knowingly misleading investigators, a Level I violation, leaving the talks at a standstill. Yahoo! reported that Harbaugh did admit to the Level II violations, which stem from recruiting violations during a COVID-19 dead period, texting a recruiting during a time not allowed and having coaches and analysts violating limits.

The Free Press confirmed the Level II violations are for recruiting violations and having too many coaches working with players.​

some serious BULLSHIT. Fuck the NCAA

I think we talked about this a while ago. I think we came to the conclusion that him not cooperating was going to come back and bite him in the ass. It appears that is what is happening.

I think UM should be able to handle this gauntlet without JH

home vs East Carolina
home vs UNLV
home vs Bowling Green
home vs Rutgers

I see an easy 4-0 start with the average score in those games being around 48-6

I don't know that he didn't cooperate; he did admit to Level II violations, according to the Freep (I quoted from their article above but forgot to link it).

Sounds like they wanted him to let them publicly drag him more and he refused to go along, so they made that a violation in and of itself.

The whole thing stinks, especially with what UT just got nailed for getting them a slap on the wrist. And all the SEC whining about the NIL at their press conferences.

I kinda always figured when they did make it "legal" to pay players fairly, the SEC and other sleazy schools would be the biggest losers; the schools with the most money are going to win. going by endowments, UM dwarfs most of the current football schools.

I think we talked about this a while ago. I think we came to the conclusion that him not cooperating was going to come back and bite him in the ass. It appears that is what is happening.

I think UM should be able to handle this gauntlet without JH

home vs East Carolina
home vs UNLV
home vs Bowling Green

home vs Rutgers

I see an easy 4-0 start with the average score in those games being around 48-6

Maybe that?s what he meant when he said there?s some real bullshit going on?

I don't know that he didn't cooperate; he did admit to Level II violations, according to the Freep (I quoted from their article above but forgot to link it).

Sounds like they wanted him to let them publicly drag him more and he refused to go along, so they made that a violation in and of itself.

The whole thing stinks, especially with what UT just got nailed for getting them a slap on the wrist. And all the SEC whining about the NIL at their press conferences.

I kinda always figured when they did make it "legal" to pay players fairly, the SEC and other sleazy schools would be the biggest losers; the schools with the most money are going to win. going by endowments, UM dwarfs most of the current football schools.

Yeah, I?m sure Alabama and Georgia are really crapping themselves right now, worried that uofm is going to outspend them?

File this one under ?MC?s dumb takes?. Thankfully its a digital file with basically unlimited capacity.

Looking forward to reading your posts when uofm starts spending endowment money on football players (to get blown out in the CFP).

Last edited:
Spending some time trying to figure out exactly what we did wrong here.

The most thorough article I could find is this one, from Yahoo:
In a notice of allegations sent to Michigan last year, the association cited four Level II violations, including meeting with two recruits during a COVID-19 dead period, texting a recruit outside of an allowable time period, having analysts perform on-field coaching duties during practice and having coaches watching players work out via Zoom.
So that's it. That's all we did wrong. Not clear when the alleged violations occurred, and I couldn't find a copy of the letter.

The reasons for the Level I violation are disputed:
The NCAA enforcement staff alleged that Harbaugh was dishonest about the recruiting violations in his initial meeting with investigators. A quick resolution broke down in January after Harbaugh refused to admit that he lied to NCAA staff. The 59-year-old coach has maintained he didn?t recall the events when first speaking with investigators but that he was never purposefully dishonest.
The NCAA doesn't do shit, and major violations slip past them all the time, and only come out in unrelated lawsuits (like LSU), or criminal actions (OSU's Tattoogate)... so how did the NCAA even decide to investigate us in 2022 for some minor bullshit that occurred during the COVID-19 dead period?

A four game suspension seems very excessive punishment for such minor "violations". They are just trying to punish Coach and Michigan for not going along with their bullshit "lying" allegations and twisting it into some kind of refusal to cooperate. Needs to be a congressional investigation of the NCAA!

A four game suspension seems very excessive punishment for such minor "violations". They are just trying to punish Coach and Michigan for not going along with their bullshit "lying" allegations and twisting it into some kind of refusal to cooperate. Needs to be a congressional investigation of the NCAA!

The NCAA has a new head this year, fmr governor of Massachusetts, Charlie Baker. Link. He replaced that creepy fucker Mark Emmert.

Reading down the list, one thing that stands out is that there are now a LOT of Notre Dame-affiliated people in leadership at the NCAA.

But the events underlying this incident would've occurred under the prior leadership.

Really curious to see the actual details and how Harbaugh's alleged "lie" went down. It sounds like they reached out to him last season... possibly during bowl preparation, which is kinda fucked up...

Harbaugh buys some burgers = 4 game suspension

Kansas, Duke on recording paying players = nothing to see here

Alabama with 80 $50,000 cars outside their football facilities = Perfectly fine

The NCAA is a mountain of hypocrisy and can eat the world's biggest bag of dicks.

Harbaugh buys some burgers = 4 game suspension

Kansas, Duke on recording paying players = nothing to see here

Alabama with 80 $50,000 cars outside their football facilities = Perfectly fine

The NCAA is a mountain of hypocrisy and can eat the world's biggest bag of dicks.

I don't think Harbaugh even directly did any of the four things that were considered NCAA level 2 violations, and his "lying to investigators" was just a comment, maybe ill-advised or without his lawyer present that he wasn't aware of the events they were confronting him with.

The whole thing stinks... how did they even find out about relatively minor bullshit like this, and decide to go after UM for it, and essentially entrap our coach in it? Doesn't strike me as a fair effort... terms like "witch hunt" come to mind.

UPDATE: various sports dumbasses reporting that the 4-game suspension deal fell through (link) and so any punishment the NCAA eventually serves on Coach Harbaugh would be in 2024 at the soonest, so he & all his assistants are free to coach all of 2023.

Last edited by a moderator:
UPDATE: various sports dumbasses reporting that the 4-game suspension deal fell through (link) and so any punishment the NCAA eventually serves on Coach Harbaugh would be in 2024 at the soonest, so he & all his assistants are free to coach all of 2023.
Thus in 2024 Harbaugh leaves for the NFL. Isn't that how it usually works get no suspension by changing leagues?

This is setting up very much so that Harbaugh will indeed leave come 2024 if things play out as they're going. Especially if all goes well and we actually win a National Title this upcoming season. I think pursuing that goal is the only thing keeping him here.

He's flirted with leaving the past two seasons...it was the Vikings that ultimately turned him down two years ago wasn't it? With all these possible punishments waiting for him in 2024 it seems the perfect time for him to make his exit.

Why wouldn't he just admit his wrongdoing and sit out these first 4 meaningless games otherwise?

At this point, if you haven't realized that no one really knows what Jim Harbaugh is going to do, you're either not paying attention or do not understand the man.

It's clear though that the conventional "wisdom" of the sporting press about him has been consistently wrong.

All the crap that Johnny Manziel and A&M got away with makes the NCAA look really bad. There should be an investigation of how and why the NCAA has failed to enforce the rules against some teams and punishing other teams for minor infractions like exchanging emails or texts with recruits during "no contact" periods and watching players workout when they were not supposed to. Title of this thread is spot on!

Now the Freep and others are reporting we are self- imposing a three game ban on Harbaugh for the first 3 games of the season.

I don't know if this will end the whole absurd charade or the NCAA will keep pushing for some punishment or an investigation. Some real bullshit continues to happen!

Now the Freep and others are reporting we are self- imposing a three game ban on Harbaugh for the first 3 games of the season.

I don't know if this will end the whole absurd charade or the NCAA will keep pushing for some punishment or an investigation. Some real bullshit continues to happen!
I doubt it. They turned down the plea deal of 4 games I doubt they will be okay with only 3 games.

Back