Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Somebody start a legitimate Indiana game thread for the love of Mike.

tinselwolverine

Somebody start a legitimate Indiana game thread for the love of Mike.

The old brass spittoon is on the line.

Does any spartan know the story of the old brass spittoon, without looking it up?

Hopefully it doesn't get renamed the Rocket Mortgage Spittoon.

Does any spartan know the story of the old brass spittoon, without looking it up?

Hopefully it doesn't get renamed the Rocket Mortgage Spittoon.

It looks like go Times 909 came through and started a real game thread.

Should I delete this or should I keep it up for a while?

I looked up the story about the old Brass Spittoon myself.

There's not actually much of a story; turns out some MSU student just made it up because he was worried his Spartans would lose to perennial doormat, Indiana (from The Freep):
Almost 70 years earlier, when McDermott was a junior at Michigan State University on the GI Bill, he?d gotten the idea to find a trophy to commemorate the MSU-Indiana football game. It was the fall of 1950, and his Spartans had just beaten Notre Dame.

?Gene was worried MSU would lose momentum,? explained Sue, because Indiana wasn?t much of a football power and he figured a trophy would help.

After approaching MSU?s football coach, Biggie Munn, who thought it was a masterful idea, McDermott set out to find the right trophy. He found a brass spittoon in an antique shop, took it to the game, showed each team what they would be playing for in the pre-game locker room and handed it over.
a "masterful idea" LOL. Oh well. Good for the old man, his Spartans easily won that game.

I looked up the story about the old Brass Spittoon myself.

There's not actually much of a story; turns out some MSU student just made it up because he was worried his Spartans would lose to perennial doormat, Indiana (from The Freep):
Almost 70 years earlier, when McDermott was a junior at Michigan State University on the GI Bill, he?d gotten the idea to find a trophy to commemorate the MSU-Indiana football game. It was the fall of 1950, and his Spartans had just beaten Notre Dame.

?Gene was worried MSU would lose momentum,? explained Sue, because Indiana wasn?t much of a football power and he figured a trophy would help.

After approaching MSU?s football coach, Biggie Munn, who thought it was a masterful idea, McDermott set out to find the right trophy. He found a brass spittoon in an antique shop, took it to the game, showed each team what they would be playing for in the pre-game locker room and handed it over.
a "masterful idea" LOL. Oh well. Good for the old man, his Spartans easily won that game.

Whatever.

And if you and I were part of a three guy thrupple (which we would never be of course) the other guy would definitely NOT be named Mike.

Not even if he was Michael the Archangel.

spittoons have been out-of-style for some time, so I wondered if there was an interesting back story explaining how both of these teams came to play for one.

Turns out there was not. But I still like to learn new things.

spittoons have been out-of-style for some time, so I wondered if there was an interesting back story explaining how both of these teams came to play for one.

Turns out there was not. But I still like to learn new things.

I think the trophies are all pretty dumb, especially ones with insignificant rivalries. I don't think anyone cares about the trophy aspect of trophy games, including the Paul Bunyan statue. That one might be a nice reminder for the players as they walk past the trophy case to and from practice given the rivalry but I don't think anyone else cares about it. I don't think I ever heard that story about the brass spittoon.

I did text my brother a picture of my kids next to a trophy case with a couple Big Ten Championship trophies and Paul Bunyan when were walking around MSU about 7 or 8 years ago with a caption along the lines of "remember what these look like?" but I haven't really thought about it since then.

Edit: apparently we play PSU for the "Land Grant Trophy" and Notre Dame for the "Megaphone" trophy. Don't know the story behind either of those - or the Paul Bunyan trophy for that matter. the psu ones seems like a weak attempt at hyping what was once our end of season protected rivalry game. I still don't consider psu or any of the other add ons to be true Big Ten schools and the trophy doesn't make me dislike them any more than I already do.

Last edited:
My son?s high-school hockey team played Calumet (still does) every January for an old Miner?s Hat. Rode 12 hours each way in a bus for the privilege.

My son?s high-school hockey team played Calumet (still does) every January for an old Miner?s Hat. Rode 12 hours each way in a bus for the privilege.

I can understand why Calumet would play for a miner's hat, but how did a Detroit area team get a piece of that rivalry?

that's gotta be the farthest you can travel and still be in Michigan (barring a boat ride to Isle Royale)

I think the trophies are all pretty dumb, especially ones with insignificant rivalries. I don't think anyone cares about the trophy aspect of trophy games, including the Paul Bunyan statue. That one might be a nice reminder for the players as they walk past the trophy case to and from practice given the rivalry but I don't think anyone else cares about it. I don't think I ever heard that story about the brass spittoon.

I did text my brother a picture of my kids next to a trophy case with a couple Big Ten Championship trophies and Paul Bunyan when were walking around MSU about 7 or 8 years ago with a caption along the lines of "remember what these look like?" but I haven't really thought about it since then.

Edit: apparently we play PSU for the "Land Grant Trophy" and Notre Dame for the "Megaphone" trophy. Don't know the story behind either of those - or the Paul Bunyan trophy for that matter. the psu ones seems like a weak attempt at hyping what was once our end of season protected rivalry game. I still don't consider psu or any of the other add ons to be true Big Ten schools and the trophy doesn't make me dislike them any more than I already do.

I think the only literal trophy that ever mattered was the Little Brown Jug, and I think that?s because it began organically - no committee sat around a table and said, ?hey, what tchotchke can we come up with that would most specifically be the emblematically symbolic representation of this rivalry??

The games and the rivalries themselves obviously matter.

a lot of them are dumb, but I like ours. We have a new one this year with Northwestern, that - while obviously made up - at least is named for a notable person (George Jewett, the first African American Big Ten player, who played for both schools).

The Brown Jug has a backstory that's spontaneous, and historic. The Paul Bunyan Trophy was made up, but at least carries some State Pride and government sanction for the state of Michigan.

I think the only literal trophy that ever mattered was the Little Brown Jug, and I think that?s because it began organically - no committee sat around a table and said, ?hey, what tchotchke can we come up with that would most specifically be the emblematically symbolic representation of this rivalry??

The games and the rivalries themselves obviously matter.

In Chicago I once got into a "discussion" with a guy from Minnesota who kept referring to his school as U of M. I told him every time he says that I think of Michigan but he insisted that was because I was from Michigan and most people would probably think of Minnesota first when they hear U of M. Eventually I had to tell him he was completely clueless and most people in Minnesota probably wouldn't think of the University of Minnesota first.

Last edited:
In Chicago I once got into a "discussion" with a guy from Minnesota who kept referring to his school as U of M. I told him every time he says that I think of Michigan but he insisted that was because I was from Michigan and most people would probably think of Minnesota first when they hear U of M. Eventually I had to tell him he was completely clueless and most people in Minnesota probably wouldn't think of the University of Minnesota first.

Every search engine I checked agrees with you.

I was reading this and the entire time my mind was picturing PJ Fleck.

"PJ, we want you to come to U of M and be the next head coach"!

"Fuck yeah, I'm in. ROW THE BOAT"!

And then his face when he realized it was Minnesota, not Michigan.

Back