Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Sources: NCAA investigating Michigan football for alleged rule violations related to

ryan walters is dumber than ryan day.

"they aren't allegations. It happened. There's video opinions & speculation. There's ticket purchases you can track back. We know for a fact they were at a number of our games." - ryan walters on michigan's sign stealing scandal

56-0 might not be a big enough spread.

fify...I don't know Ryan Walters background prior to becoming head coach at Purdue but he definitely was NOT a lawyer!

But I agree, it was a really dumb thing to say. Hard to think of better bulletin board material than calling out a team for cheating. I sure hope uofm teaches them a lesson this weekend!

Was the 1987 Big Ten Championship ever vacated?
No. And the wikipedia article strangely doesn't mention it at all (or maybe no one cares enough about MSU football to update it.)

Detroit News article Link:
Eighteen years later, Mandarich admitted the abuse, providing steroids to other players and to evading detection before the Rose Bowl.

?I'm surprised,? Perles said, then. ?He's a good person and a great guy. I'd never have anything negative to say about him or any of my players. I don't know what his motive is to come out with this now.?
Why so suprised George? "great guys" own up to their mistakes, right?

It is kinda funny that slowtime and spartahack are over here obsessively slinging mud over this fake-ass scandal, given everything MSU football (and their University itself) has been through in the last few years. and that doesn't even include their team getting their asses kicked all over the field.

imagining a guy in front of his glass house, which has all the windows broken out and is on fire, being lead away in handcuffs for sexual assault, telling you that he's ashamed he ever knew you and that you're the real disgrace here...

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not mudslinging. I'm just here laughing at the pivoting being done by delusional fans of a cheating program.

Way, WAY more interesting than this ?scandal? (which nothing will or should come of) is reading posts made by ?adults? acting like a group of 6 year olds arguing about who?s favorite cartoon is better.

Keep this shit up, it?s fantastic.

Last edited:
For the record, I expect some kind of penalty. We deserve some amount of penalty. I don't even have a problem with exceptional, precedent-setting action being taken, provided the evidence supports it. But that's the evidence from an investigation, not the opinions of coaches and fans. Michigan fans I've talked to feel this way too. Claims of pivoting or copium are bullshit/taking message board opinions too seriously. I also recognize that this is about as much fun a scandal can be for the non-Michigan fans and I've been leaning into it, joking about stealing peoples signs in the office and such. Of course it sucks, but in the grand scheme of thing, the sky isn't falling. We clean house once we know who was involved, take our penalty, and move on.

Way, WAY more interesting than this ?scandal? (which nothing will or should come of) is reading posts made by ?adults? acting like a group of 6 year olds arguing about who?s favorite cartoon is better.

I usually don't like taking things to the johnny2x2x level of trolling, but I'll guarantee that with the way the other coaches and AD's in the conference are screaming for the commissioner to step in there's more evidence that isn't released. Already Purdue has come out saying they have more evidence. If any of this recorded sideline video is even looked at by 1 coach on staff thats it. As sloppy as everything has been so far, it wouldn't surprise me 1 bit that this idiot brings the hole thing down.

No. And the wikipedia article strangely doesn't mention it at all (or maybe no one cares enough about MSU football to update it.)

Eighteen years later, Mandarich admitted the abuse, providing steroids to other players and to evading detection before the Rose Bowl.

?I'm surprised,? Perles said, then. ?He's a good person and a great guy. I'd never have anything negative to say about him or any of my players. I don't know what his motive is to come out with this now.?

It is kinda funny that slowtime and spartahack are over here obsessively slinging mud over this fake-ass scandal, given everything MSU football (and their University itself) has been through in the last few years. and that doesn't even include their team getting their asses kicked all over the field.

imagining a guy in front of his glass house, which has all the windows broken out and is on fire, being lead away in handcuffs for sexual assault, telling you that he's ashamed he ever knew you and that you're the real disgrace here...

And ill come to MSUs defense on this. At this time in college it was widespread amongst lineman. Mandarich was extreme in the fact that he busted his ass to look like he did. Other guys did it to gain and maintain their weight and recover from injury. Over the last 25 years, college has become a chemical factory. It has spread to all positions, especially GH which they do not test for. If you have a favorite football player and hate the notion of steroid use("cheating"), you probably shouldn't watch football. Yes, even kickers. Anyway, I know what point you are making.

And ill come to MSUs defense on this. At this time in college it was widespread amongst lineman. Mandarich was extreme in the fact that he busted his ass to look like he did. Other guys did it to gain and maintain their weight and recover from injury. Over the last 25 years, college has become a chemical factory. It has spread to all positions, especially GH which they do not test for. If you have a favorite football player and hate the notion of steroid use("cheating"), you probably shouldn't watch football. Yes, even kickers. Anyway, I know what point you are making.

yeah, the DN article I linked to kinda said that. Steroid sales for non-medical use were criminalized nationally the next year, but it was pretty widespread, according to the article.

Though the article also quoted some MSU beat reporters saying they were shocked by just how much bigger most of the players on that team got from '86 to '87. They were 6-5 in '86 and 6-5 again in '88. So presumably they were juicing even more than usual. and of course once Mandarich got to the NFL, he was nothing...

'87 was their best & only 9+ win season in a stretch from 1967 to 1998, LOL.

yeah, the DN article I linked to kinda said that. Steroid sales for non-medical use were criminalized nationally the next year, but it was pretty widespread, according to the article.

Though the article also quoted some MSU beat reporters saying they were shocked by just how much bigger most of the players on that team got from '86 to '87. They were 6-5 in '86 and 6-5 again in '88. So presumably they were juicing even more than usual. and of course once Mandarich got to the NFL, he was nothing...

'87 was their best & only 9+ win season in a stretch from 1967 to 1998, LOL.

The one team I remember the most is the 1999 Spartans. They were fucking huge and muscular. Everytime I have seen clips from that Michigan game, I am reminded of how, at that time, they caught up to us or even surpassed us chemically. Since that year, look at all of Saban's teams since.

I'm glad we amuse you and impressed that you're more mature than all of us, BOOGERLOVEJOY

Is that kinda funny? Because to me what?s hilarious is how f?n dumb you are. It should be obvious to everyone I?m not slinging mud - I haven?t made a single serious claim about the scandal - I?m making fun of and trolling you and maybe one or two others for your comical hypocrisy, rationalization, equivocations and whataboutisms. You?re the clown living in a glass house. The beautiful thing about you is I can tell you this and you?ll just keep serving up more fodder for me to ridicule you - you?re like Monkeyking from the ESPN days.

Also it?s really cute that you think steroids were a problem unique to MSU. I know a guy who played linebacker at uofm in the late 80s who did so many roids he?s convinced that?s why he couldn?t get his wife pregnant. He was pretty far down on the depth chart and knew he was never gonna play but he did them anyway because he was a meathead and they were so easy to get bc everyone was using them. You have to be delusional to think any major program was even mostly clean regarding steroids.

Last edited:
he released a statement through his attorney that he resigned.

I guess it's over then.

From his attorney: "Connor also wants to make it clear that, to his knowledge, neither Coach Harbaugh, nor any other coach or staff member, told anyone to break any rules or were aware of improper conduct regarding the recent allegations of advanced scouting."

Lone wolf!

Santa's letter to the Big Ten commissioner, Tony Petitti.

Dear Tony,

?I look forward to our meeting and am writing now to share some of my deeply held beliefs, which I hope can inform our conversation and guide what we do next. ?None of us wants to be in this situation. The University of Michigan takes its compliance obligations seriously. We are committed to ethics, integrity, and fair play. It is at our core and always will be. And that is why I am so deeply concerned about the allegations.

?We are fully cooperating with the NCAA in its investigation, as it seeks to separate the facts from irresponsible speculation seen in much of the public and social media discourse.

?It?s precisely at these times ? when all key facts are not known but others are all too comfortable offering strongly held opinion ? that it is essential for everyone to ensure that investigations are conducted fairly and that conclusions are based on what actually happened. The reputation and livelihoods of coaches, students, and programs cannot be sacrificed in a rush to judgment, no matter how many and how loudly people protest otherwise. Due process matters.

?We, as would any other member of the Big10, deserve nothing less. Our students, our coaches, our program?all are entitled to a fair, deliberate, thoughtful process. We are aware that other representatives of the Big10 are demanding that you take action now, before any meaningful investigation and full consideration of all the evidence. That is not something our conference rules permit. And we both know it is not what any other member would want if allegations were raised against their people or programs.

?The Big10 has not informed us of any investigation of its own, as would be required under conference rules. And, to be clear, oral updates from NCAA enforcement staff do not and cannot constitute evidence, nor do we think the NCAA would ever intend for an oral update to be given that meaning or weight.

?The best course of action, the one far more likely to ascertain the facts, is to await the results of the NCAA investigation. But if you refuse to let the NCAA investigative process play out, the Big10 may not take any action against the University or its players or coaches without commencing its own investigation and offering us the opportunity to provide our position. That is not just required by our conference rules; it is a matter of basic fairness. ?

Sincerely,

Santa J. Ono
President
University of Michigan

I guess it's over then.

From his attorney: "Connor also wants to make it clear that, to his knowledge, neither Coach Harbaugh, nor any other coach or staff member, told anyone to break any rules or were aware of improper conduct regarding the recent allegations of advanced scouting."

Lone wolf!

Sounds like a true Michigan Man - always putting the team before himself. The team, the team, the team. I hope he's smart enough to not deposit the payoff money into his checking account all at once and not for a while. He should maybe reach out to Hunter Biden for some pointers on laundering money or just pay for everything in cash. Maybe he'll write a book about this whole thing in 10 years or whenever he goes broke and needs a little cash...

Last edited:
Santa's letter to the Big Ten commissioner, Tony Petitti.

Dear Tony,

?I look forward to our meeting and am writing now to share some of my deeply held beliefs, which I hope can inform our conversation and guide what we do next. ?None of us wants to be in this situation. The University of Michigan takes its compliance obligations seriously. We are committed to ethics, integrity, and fair play. It is at our core and always will be. And that is why I am so deeply concerned about the allegations.

?We are fully cooperating with the NCAA in its investigation, as it seeks to separate the facts from irresponsible speculation seen in much of the public and social media discourse.

?It?s precisely at these times ? when all key facts are not known but others are all too comfortable offering strongly held opinion ? that it is essential for everyone to ensure that investigations are conducted fairly and that conclusions are based on what actually happened. The reputation and livelihoods of coaches, students, and programs cannot be sacrificed in a rush to judgment, no matter how many and how loudly people protest otherwise. Due process matters.

?We, as would any other member of the Big10, deserve nothing less. Our students, our coaches, our program?all are entitled to a fair, deliberate, thoughtful process. We are aware that other representatives of the Big10 are demanding that you take action now, before any meaningful investigation and full consideration of all the evidence. That is not something our conference rules permit. And we both know it is not what any other member would want if allegations were raised against their people or programs.

?The Big10 has not informed us of any investigation of its own, as would be required under conference rules. And, to be clear, oral updates from NCAA enforcement staff do not and cannot constitute evidence, nor do we think the NCAA would ever intend for an oral update to be given that meaning or weight.

?The best course of action, the one far more likely to ascertain the facts, is to await the results of the NCAA investigation. But if you refuse to let the NCAA investigative process play out, the Big10 may not take any action against the University or its players or coaches without commencing its own investigation and offering us the opportunity to provide our position. That is not just required by our conference rules; it is a matter of basic fairness. ?

Sincerely,

Santa J. Ono
President
University of Michigan

This would have been a lot shorter (closer to the truth and more consistent with the michigan way)...

Dear Tony,

Please wait until after the B1G Championship (and possibly the CFP, if we go) to complete your investigation - oh and maybe drag it out for a couple more years if Harbaugh doesn't go to the NFL.

Sincerely,

Santa J. Ono
President uofm

Last edited:
Back