Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Stafford and Gruden

motown1958

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/...ruden-says?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE

Detnews article where Gruden talks about the talents of Stafford and how good the Lions could be if we get into the playoffs. Talks about still thinking about coming back to coaching. Now I like Gruden but really would not like him as a coach. I just think he is overrated and has gotten lucky with teams other people assembled. That Oakland team he coached had a ton of talent and same with the Tampa team. I think the Lions have that talent but worry about him being out of the game for a while and also maybe limiting what we do.

I think Tony mentioned it earlier. Top guys like Gruden are not going to leave their cushy TV jobs to go back to coaching. Lots of hours, high stress, low job security. It depends ultimately on their ego though plus the money. If the Fords offer them huge money they may not be able to refuse. A lot of analysts seem to think that Detroit has the talent, they are just missing that one thing.

I think Tony mentioned it earlier. Top guys like Gruden are not going to leave their cushy TV jobs to go back to coaching. Lots of hours, high stress, low job security. It depends ultimately on their ego though plus the money. If the Fords offer them huge money they may not be able to refuse. A lot of analysts seem to think that Detroit has the talent, they are just missing that one thing.

Or they could just miss it? Otherwise why do guys like Andy Reid still coach? He's made plenty of money and I could see him in a TV gig when he retires.

On a side note: Would not want Gruden either.

Or they could just miss it? Otherwise why do guys like Andy Reid still coach? He's made plenty of money and I could see him in a TV gig when he retires.

If they really missed it, they would have taken offers before. Unless they think that Detroit really has the talent that could win it all, and that is why they didn't take any offers before.

Reid might still be after a super bowl, while his teams have had a lot of success, he still hasn't won the big game. Gruden already has a ring.

I imagine ego is a big factor with almost any head coach in the pros or college too.

He chuckled. "I've already been run out of the NFL," he said.

Heard he is a nut job and that is why hasn't been coaching, I don't want a retread and if there is talk of him coming here it is probably just to get more money somewhere else.

He chuckled. "I've already been run out of the NFL," he said.

Heard he is a nut job and that is why hasn't been coaching, I don't want a retread and if there is talk of him coming here it is probably just to get more money somewhere else.

I want a retread. I'm tired of this being where never wases become has beens.

I think the same thing. They have the talent to go 10-6 at minimum. 12-4 would be a realistic goal even with the secondary we have..... IF we had coaches worth a damn.

I believe we could interest some very highly rated coaches considering that talent we have on this team. I would mind Gruden. I just want someone who will instill some discipline in this team.

Unfortunately, I don't think the Fords will fire Schwartz. They tend to keep coaches/GMs too long.

I believe we could interest some very highly rated coaches considering that talent we have on this team. I would mind Gruden. I just want someone who will instill some discipline in this team.

Unfortunately, I don't think the Fords will fire Schwartz. They tend to keep coaches/GMs too long.

If they don't make the playoffs they'll get fired. Refunding a 10s of millions in pre-bought playoff tickets oughta do it.

Last edited:
I know the guy can't win the big games and that at this point he is way to old. But back when we hired Mariuci I thought the guy we should have gone after was Marty Schottenheimer. the guy is a great leader. I would like someone in that mold. Very inspirational as well as a smart football guy. That being said I struggle seeing any of the known guys as someone that I would long for. Cower is done, Chucky is nuts and overrated, Shanny is good offensively but his team always underperforms, usually defensively. I don't see the college guy that can come in and do what Carrol or Harbaugh have done. The options seem scarce for HCs right now.

Back