Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Stafford on Mike and Mike

kdp1980

Normal segment, except for the part where they asked Stafford if the reason Jim Bob Cooters name hasn't been mentioned as a possible head coaching candidate was because of his name. Stafford lost it a little bit, took him a second to regain his composure.

Last edited:
The reason he hasn't been named head coach candidate, is because he is only a very good QB coach and averageish OC.

The reason he hasn't been named head coach candidate, is because he is only a very good QB coach and averageish OC.

I'd say less than average OC. Offense is way to inconsistent, and its mostly the poor play calling to blame imo. I wish Stafford had full control on 3rd downs, honestly, too many pussy play calls on 3rd downs.

Last edited:
I'd say less than average OC. Offense is way to inconsistent, and its mostly the poor play calling to blame imo. I wish Stafford had full control on 3rd downs, honestly, too many pussy play calls on 3rd downs.

You wouldn't get much argument from me. He has done a good job of making it tough to turn the ball over, which in the past has killed us. If you're grading him only on production, he is below average. As part of the team goals: minimize amount of drives per game, not giving opponents short field, not making stupid mistakes, and making plays when necessary. Seems to be decent at that.

I don't think he is asking the offense to do a lot, because I'm not sure they believe they are capable of being a great offense. Defense has been solid, they just seem to be making tackles and minimizing long gains.

Last edited:
I think the offense is fine. They're really slowing down the games because of their defense. They've had some LONG ass drives this year.

I think the offense is fine. They're really slowing down the games because of their defense. They've had some LONG ass drives this year.

I agree. They are second in all of the NFL in average time of possession per drive, behind only Dallas.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/drivestats

This is a ball control offense, plain and simple. The intent is to keep drives going and to take their time doing it. By this metric, they have been very successful.

The coaches don't want to leave the defense out there more than they have to, which allows the defense to play above their talent level despite injuries--and they have the past few weeks. In fact, I don't have the article handy, but I read that over the last 6 weeks, the Lions defense has given up the second fewest points, behind the Ravens.

I think with a better defense and free reign of the offense, you would see something different from Jim Bob. But given the need to control TOP and keep the defense off the field, plus the fact that they have practically no running game to speak of, I think he is doing a great job.

I agree. They are second in all of the NFL in average time of possession per drive, behind only Dallas.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/drivestats

This is a ball control offense, plain and simple. The intent is to keep drives going and to take their time doing it. By this metric, they have been very successful.

The coaches don't want to leave the defense out there more than they have to, which allows the defense to play above their talent level despite injuries--and they have the past few weeks. In fact, I don't have the article handy, but I read that over the last 6 weeks, the Lions defense has given up the second fewest points, behind the Ravens.

I think with a better defense and free reign of the offense, you would see something different from Jim Bob. But given the need to control TOP and keep the defense off the field, plus the fact that they have practically no running game to speak of, I think he is doing a great job.

Less than 20 points allowed last 6 weeks, closer to average of 17.
iirc, 98 points allowed to 92 by ravens.

The offense hasn't converted TD's as much in the red zone this year. Last year we were 2nd in the NFL at scoring TD's in the red zone at 69.39%...just 0.05% behind 1st place Carolina. This year we're 17th at 55.88%. BTW Carolina is 2nd at 68.57% behind only Tennessee at 72.50%.

It seems we do get conservative when we get close or we get a stupid penalty. This is also a spot where we probably do miss CJ as a lot of attention had to be devoted to him. Last year we averaged 22.4 points per game (18th) and this year we average 22.9 (18th).

But Caldwell also seems to love to be ultra-conservative overall. Don't do anything to bring a big mistake into play.

Last edited:
The offense hasn't converted TD's as much in the red zone this year. Last year we were 2nd in the NFL at scoring TD's in the red zone at 69.39%...just 0.05% behind 1st place Carolina. This year we're 17th at 55.88%. BTW Carolina is 2nd at 68.57% behind only Tennessee at 72.50%.

It seems we do get conservative when we get close or we get a stupid penalty. This is also a spot where we probably do miss CJ as a lot of attention had to be devoted to him. Last year we averaged 22.4 points per game (18th) and this year we average 22.9 (18th).

But Caldwell also seems to love to be ultra-conservative overall. Don't do anything to bring a big mistake into play.

It's probably due to the fact that we lost one of the best red zone threats in the history of the game. Typically big bodies score the most touchdowns in the red zone. And Ebron isn't the best at making plays on the ball in the air as our only real big body on offense.

Back