Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Stafford ranked as 11th most accurate passer

everyoneneedsasmil

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2016/2015-passing-plus-minus

Espn only listed the top 10, but its nice to see Stafford being the next man up. Per the article, this is the second straight season where Stafford was positive, and he was noticeably better under JBC. As someone who always felt Stafford was relative inaccurate, I am happy to be proven wrong. Turns out I fell into the classic fan thinking, taking a couple years to catch up to a player's improvement or decline.

Stafford was 5th in completion percentage last season

which is a good thing...but he was 20th in YPA which means he was throwing a LOT of very short passes which are easier to complete. 397 of his 592 attempts were 10 yards or less and 137 were thrown behind the line of scrimmage. Hats off to Cooter for recognizing Stafford's limitations.

His completion % was good. Is the ranking just on last season? Thee way they worded it, most accurate passer, just seemed like it was more than just last season. And I don't see him 11th most accurate..

which is a good thing...but he was 20th in YPA which means he was throwing a LOT of very short passes which are easier to complete. 397 of his 592 attempts were 10 yards or less and 137 were thrown behind the line of scrimmage. Hats off to Cooter for recognizing Stafford's limitations.

This. Not sure if Cooter but Matt has limitations, like the deeper ball. He needs to keep it shorter..

His completion % was good. Is the ranking just on last season? Thee way they worded it, most accurate passer, just seemed like it was more than just last season. And I don't see him 11th most accurate..

It was just last season. The article also had the top 45 single seasons since 2006 and he was not on that list (16 QBs represented on that list). He was on another list. They had the bottom 22 and he made that list. He had the 8th worst season in 2009.

While I do agree with this. Stafford does deserve credit for completing those passes. The second half of the season I don't recall him missing the easy throws. While he always struggled with any difficult or high accuracy throw, he was also known to miss the wide open guy 3 yards away. No longer missing those 3 yarders was a huge reason he looked like you could finally win with him as your QB.

Based on the article, it sounds like he was pretty good (better than average) in 2014 also. If he maintains the pace he set with just JBC, he will make the top 10 next year.

The important takeaway is that Stafford isn't still the sloppy passer he was as a younger player anymore. Keep in mind this taking takes into account pass distance and area of the field. It is not simply completion percentage, but completion percentage compared to average across ask different throws. Consummate dunk and dunk quarterback Alex Smith finished with a negative accuracy grade because he doesn't do anything more with his short passes than any other qb would.

Last edited:
Based on the article, it sounds like he was pretty good (better than average) in 2014 also. If he maintains the pace he set with just JBC, he will make the top 10 next year.

The important takeaway is that Stafford isn't still the sloppy passer he was as a younger player anymore. Keep in mind this taking takes into account pass distance and area of the field. It is not simply completion percentage, but completion percentage compared to average across ask different throws. Consummate dunk and dunk quarterback Alex Smith finished with a negative accuracy grade because he doesn't do anything more with his short passes than any other qb would.

Sloppy passer? At the half way point last season 13TD, 11INT. The 2nd half was much better and even though others don't want to hear it.. he went from hard schedule to easy schedule. Remember his passer rating was mid 80's at the half way point. He needs to do better against better competition. I still think the schedule was better for Matt rather than Cooter.

Last edited:
Our Wrs didn't even bother running a route further than 7 yards last year lol. Your comp % better be high when you have an 80 rec RB on your team. Top 11...yay....granted theres only 32 starting QBs. Comp % matters....its part of the equation and hes improved on that. As long as he keeps his TD/INT ratio low like he did the last half of last season....we should be ok. Id like to see him start to take advantage of all these weapons though....hes taken the crown from chubby checkdown.

Suddenly there are caveats when he kills it in accuracy. You guys crack me up. Oline had more to do with short passes not stafford limitations

Suddenly there are caveats when he kills it in accuracy. You guys crack me up. Oline had more to do with short passes not stafford limitations

it isn't obvious. If youre a starting NFL caliber QB you should be able to complete 5 yard passes lol. Whats so hard to understand? Its not a caveat...its an expectation.

Last edited:
it isn't obvious. If youre a starting NFL caliber QB you should be able to complete 5 yard passes lol. Whats so hard to understand? Its not a caveat...its an expectation.

I don't think you understand the list. Stafford was above average completion percentage "for the passes he threw." This isn't simply boosted by taking easy throws. At worst, it means he made more easy throws than an average qb would. That's still a good, commendable thing. He's no Russell Wilson with the deep ball, but he's above average pretty much across the board.

Edit: when I say across the board, I specifically mean in terms of completion percentage. I don't think he is above average in all aspects of the position.

Last edited:
I don't think you understand the list. Stafford was above average completion percentage "for the passes he threw." This isn't simply boosted by taking easy throws. At worst, it means he made more easy throws than an average qb would. That's still a good, commendable thing. He's no Russell Wilson with the deep ball, but he's above average pretty much across the board.

Edit: when I say across the board, I specifically mean in terms of completion percentage. I don't think he is above average in all aspects of the position.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/qbs-in-focus-deep-passing-2/

Above average might be a stretch.

That's how I took it. In the second half of this season he was very accurate with the ball. Yes easy throws, but still very accurate. That is a huge step.

This site also shows that out of 47 qualified QBs since 2006 he is ranked #38 for his career. Which supports the fact for the majority of his career he has not been accurate. Which is exactly what most logical people have said on here for years.

I understand the list. I was responding to lkp.

That's how I took it. In the second half of this season he was very accurate with the ball. Yes easy throws, but still very accurate. That is a huge step.

This site also shows that out of 47 qualified QBs since 2006 he is ranked #38 for his career. Which supports the fact for the majority of his career he has not been accurate. Which is exactly what most logical people have said on here for years.

If there's a caveat in thread this is it, last half of the season was against the poorest defenses you can find.

The rest I agree with.

Nothing is easy in the NFL, so stop. Your backhanded compliments are pathetic btw lol

Back