Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Stafford Versus Winning Teams

You really can't compare stats between these two eras. Stafford is #23 all time in terms of passer rating. However, he is 15th among active leaders.

Valid point.

He is also within .5 of having the same QB Rating as Andrew Luck.

Can we all agree hes a good QB? Not elite, but good? I really couldn't stand the thought of starting with a blank slate or shuffling qbs for the next 10 years because everybody we draft sucks and we're kicking them to the curb every 3 years. Hes good enough, now build around him. This is the version of Stafford we've been waiting for, his supporting staff just isn't up to par.

Last edited:
Yeah Matt is good to great but it is time for him and the organization to take the next step.and start showing up in playoff games and winning them.

No I can't agree with that. He can be good to great but he's not good to great.

He should play out his contract and move on.

He's not elite, he's above average. But I wonder what he'd do in an organization with less dysfunction.

He should play out his contract and move on.

He's not elite, he's above average. But I wonder what he'd do in an organization with less dysfunction.

This wouldn't be a bad move for him if a good team was available. The problem is that most good teams are good precisely because they have a good quarterback already. If a good quarterback hits the market, he's generally choosing between bad teams in desperate need of a QB to build around. At that point, its easier for the player to stay where he's already comfortable.

Yeah Matt is good to great but it is time for him and the organization to take the next step.and start showing up in playoff games and winning them.

Saying Stafford SHOULD win in the playoffs with this roster is a reach, IMO.

We sit here and say how many holes this team has.....in fact......there are countless pages of arguments with LKP about it. Our Oline sucks. LB's are the worst in the NFL. Secondary sucks. DLine is a joke. Ansah has disappeared. Ngata is awful. Ebron is a waste. NO running game. JBC's gameplan sucks. Caldwell is too conservative. Austin doesn't know what he's doing......

Then we turn around and say how Stafford isn't elite because he cant win in the playoffs.

I'm sure I'll be alone in this thought......but I think #9 is the MAIN reason we even won 9 games. Expecting him to overcome all the other shortcomings this team has is asinine.

Maybe I had too much Kool-Aid this morning......I just don't understand the hate.

We sit here and say how many holes this team has.....in fact......there are countless pages of arguments with LKP about it. Our Oline sucks. LB's are the worst in the NFL. Secondary sucks. DLine is a joke. Ansah has disappeared. Ngata is awful. Ebron is a waste. NO running game. JBC's gameplan sucks. Caldwell is too conservative. Austin doesn't know what he's doing......

Then we turn around and say how Stafford isn't elite because he cant win in the playoffs.

I'm sure I'll be alone in this thought......but I think #9 is the MAIN reason we even won 9 games. Expecting him to overcome all the other shortcomings this team has is asinine.

Maybe I had too much Kool-Aid this morning......I just don't understand the hate.

Oline is solid in pass pro. Sucks in run blocking. Decker, Swanson is good. Glasgow good for a rookie. Warford started slow but actually had a good year. Reiff was average. The run game aspect hurts Stafford. However, the injuries to Abdullah and Riddick are huge and really may be the biggest reason the run game stunk. 3rd string RB or worse a lot of the year with Zenner showing some late flashes.

LBs not worst in the league. Bynes and Whitehead did well in the middle of the season. Levy hurt most of the season and was average on return (from a knee injury that can heal this offseason). They could huge some youth there but it is not the worst in the league.

Ebron had 711 yards in 13 games. He is not a waste. He is a good player but has a drop issue.

Secondary sucks? No. Slay, Lawson and Quin are good players. Diggs played well in 2015 (hurt late in 2016). Wilson did a solid job and Killebrew showed flashes. It's more the lack of pass rush and some Slay/Diggs injury. Plus LB coverage a bigger problem underneath. They need depth. A blanket statement like secondary sucks is just not true.

Ansah is good and can be a difference maker. Was hurt most of year. Hyder did a solid job asked to take on more snaps than he should have. Robinson and Ngata can play the run and Robinson was a rookie. Taylor sucked, Zettel is a 6th round rookie who can't set the edge. Walker, Charles, Thornton didn't do very much. There are some building blocks but add a DE and pass rushing DT will happen. Not a complete rebuild and not a joke considering Ansah, Hyder, Ngata and Robinson are actually good to solid.

Game plans. Unless you are a coach, you don't really no the intricacies of NFL game plans. Austin and JBC did well with what they have.

Stafford lacked the proper support(run game, drops by good weapon, late season defensive breakdowns, no turnovers forced, only 6 drives starting in opponents territory) But that doesn't mean the rest of the team is garbage going forward. There are plenty of good players for Detroit but they need a few more. And the good players have to execute more consistently (drops, run blocking, run D, pass rush)

That effort in Seattle really pissed me off. Who's fault was that . The coaches ?
I mean our effort at Dallas in the playoffs was better then that shit show in Seattle. I agree with you Matt is really good. But he needs to be better. Everyone in this organization needs to be better. Show some damn emotion. BTW he didn't win all 9 of the games. I remember Slay picking off Bradford late in the vikings game. Matt gets credit for that comeback win though right ? We need to take the next step . I am just not sure Caldwell is the coach to do it.

Ultimately, all of your logic falls on every single element being perfect. And that will never happen.

So after every failing season, your excuse train will roll on.

Nothing's perfect. Every team faces injuries, bad calls, whatever you'd like. The sooner you realize that, the sooner you can actually have good conversations with us and appreciate a little concept called perspective.

Ultimately, all of your logic falls on every single element being perfect. And that will never happen.

So after every failing season, your excuse train will roll on.

Nothing's perfect. Every team faces injuries, bad calls, whatever you'd like. The sooner you realize that, the sooner you can actually have good conversations with us and appreciate a little concept called perspective.

Good players aren't perfect. Injuries do happen. Some teams have more than others or have it concentrated in one area or have depth in the area they happen to get an injury. Lions overcame them and made the playoffs. To think injuries are all even for every team is a stupid assumption. It changes year to year, week to week. Every single game one team usually has an injury advantage over the other team.

Refs, we won't get into that. Kaline has requested us not too but you all keep bringing it up. I request that you stop for his sake.

The Lions are a good team with good talent building blocks in many spots(that I already listed in my previous post). They have the means and the GM to add the talent they need to get them over the playoff win hump. It's pretty probable that they can do it. Let's see if they execute it. Playoffs 2 of 3 years is a step in the right direction (only 10 teams). Keep moving forward and building to get that playoff win.

"Refs, we won't get into that. Kaline has requested us not too but you all keep bringing it up. I request that you stop for his sake."

Unreal dude. I can't believe how much you try and poke the bear. It's laughable.

"Refs, we won't get into that. Kaline has requested us not too but you all keep bringing it up. I request that you stop for his sake."

Unreal dude. I can't believe how much you try and poke the bear. It's laughable.

You mentioned the bad calls. Not me. You are unreal dude and once you again you missed the point and important content of my post and focused on two words I wasn't even trying to talk about

Enjoy man. It's your world, we are all just living in it.

You give us your evaluations, free of charge as you said. I should be more grateful.

This wasnt a playoff calibur team by any metric except wins. It was not only improbable how we got to 9 wins....but quite nearly impossible. If you want to hang a banner for them fine....but this team has the talent of a 6 win or less type of team. We clearly showed and our coach was quick to mention that we can't compete with the upper eschalan of teams.

Great teams like Carolina can quickly become average. Quin needs to correct alot of issues or we could become bottom feeders fast.

We played 4 playoff teams, and we lost all 4 of those in a row.

It's hard to say we would be any better or worse with any other QB in the top 15. Only players we had that played at a high level were our kicker and punter. Other than that you could of probably taken any player off this team and replaced him with another average player and you wouldn't see much difference. Although Slay and Quinn seemed to have pretty solid years.

What we did do well, was not missing tackles on defense and breaking tackles on offense. That is what kept us in the games. Riddick, Tate, and possibly Ameer are our only real difference makers. They can make things happen after the catch. Tate took forever to get started (6th or 7th game) the other two were hurt. Our offense really went to shit once we stopped making players after the catch. Hard to score if you only can throw the ball 2 yards and get tackled immediately at that spot.

2013 and 2015 i said lions were better than their record. I was told by everyone here that you are what your record says. Now all of a sudden a nine win team is really a six win team. Gtfo and never come back

Back