Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Stafford's stats while leading

kmd47

https://www.prideofdetroit.com/2018...fford-statistical-breakdown-playing-with-lead

Good article and break down on Staff's stats while having the lead. My favorite part, "Now let?s get really crazy?keep in mind, this is throughout Stafford?s entire career. With the lead and with two minutes or less left on the clock, Matthew Stafford has thrown for just six yards. You read that right. He?s completed exactly one pass for six yards when the Lions have the lead with two minutes or less in the game. It was for a first down. So that?s cool. Interestingly enough, that was back in 2015."

I expect for most of those instances the call was to run the clock down, either by running or the victory formation. Or maybe they were already in scoring position and a FG sealed the win.. So he knelled.

It's this part that was always worrisome, When in the lead, He completes 63.3 percent of his passes and plays with a passer rating of 88.4.

It's this part that was always worrisome, When in the lead, He completes 63.3 percent of his passes and plays with a passer rating of 88.4.

That's over his entire career and how are those numbers bad? and not to mention "In the last three years, when the Lions are in the lead, Stafford has been almost automatic. He?s competed 68.5 percent of his passes and has a passer rating of 100.7. He?s thrown for 3,746 yards, 26 touchdowns and nine interceptions. That?s pretty good." Yeah...... 0 worry for me on that one...

That's over his entire career and how are those numbers bad? and not to mention "In the last three years, when the Lions are in the lead, Stafford has been almost automatic. He?s competed 68.5 percent of his passes and has a passer rating of 100.7. He?s thrown for 3,746 yards, 26 touchdowns and nine interceptions. That?s pretty good." Yeah...... 0 worry for me on that one...

Fair enough.

Using the situation finder on https://www.pro-football-reference.com I looked at what we did with the lead and two minutes or less in the game.

Stafford is actually 5 for 5 for 17 yards and 1 TD. Four of those attempts came after the two minute warning with exactly two minutes on the clock when the play started. So the writer must have meant with less than two minutes on the clock, not two minutes or less.

Anyways Since 2009 not including special team plays:
Kneel Downs: 54
Rush Attempts: 36
Stanton Pass attempts: 2
Stafford Pass attempts: 5

For comparison Packers since 2009:
Pass attempts: 11 (10 for 11) 109 yards
Kneels: 122
Rush: 80

So not sure what the point is that writer is trying to make, but looking at one team as a comparison, looks like our pass ratio is right about the same in that situation.

Last edited:
Back