Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Starters from yesterday's scrimmage - from Rivals

RR didn't have to change anything for denard, he fits the system. He doesn't fit hokes normal system.

bamf16 said:
wheels002 said:
The offense will be more under center also relying more on the RB's. A lot less bubble screens with a more down field throwing action and less Denard designed runs.

Time to move on.

Time to take your own advice!

Seriously. If this is going to be a topic this year, fine, but there's absolutely no sense in starting it before we actually see what they're going to do.

DR said:
Seriously. If this is going to be a topic this year, fine, but there's absolutely no sense in starting it before we actually see what they're going to do.

Cool story, bro!

DR said:
Avery and Kovacs starting....heh...

Floyd and/or Carvin Johnson any better in your opinion?

(At least this year there appear to be options!)

wheels002 said:
They are doing what RR should have done and taking what their players do best and adapting the offense.

Well, we haven't seen a game yet.

bamf16 said:
DR said:

The article in the free press was stating that it would be Floyd and Woolfolk at the corner. Now, I don't know which is correct, but I don't think its decided yet.

Hungry said:
wheels002 said:
They are doing what RR should have done and taking what their players do best and adapting the offense.

Remember back in 2006 UM opened with two games against Vanderbilt and Central Michigan during which they seemingly never threw the ball downfield? Going back, Henne was 10-22 for 135 against Vandy and 11 of 19 for 113 against CMU. I and others lit up the message boards with sentiments along the lines of WTF?!

Then UM heads into Notre Dame and the downfield threat that had been missing catapults us to a huge 1st half lead. Henne goes 13 of 22 (eh, pretty pedestrian) for 220 yards and 3 scores, and pretty much doesn't throw the ball in the second half. Who knows to what extent they intentionally hid that from the Irish, but it worked.

I wonder what we'll see this year. I wonder how much might be hidden in week 1 planning to break it out in week 2. I know it's tougher to try it given the coaching change and all, but something to think about.

DR said:

i agree. if any word should be banned it should be rich rodriguez.

(and i was just in an arguement about him so i have no room to talk.)

we all have different opinions. we need to drop it and move onto HOKE. who is doing a great job so far.

bamf16 said:
Hungry said:

Remember back in 2006 UM opened with two games against Vanderbilt and Central Michigan during which they seemingly never threw the ball downfield? Going back, Henne was 10-22 for 135 against Vandy and 11 of 19 for 113 against CMU. I and others lit up the message boards with sentiments along the lines of WTF?!

Then UM heads into Notre Dame and the downfield threat that had been missing catapults us to a huge 1st half lead. Henne goes 13 of 22 (eh, pretty pedestrian) for 220 yards and 3 scores, and pretty much doesn't throw the ball in the second half. Who knows to what extent they intentionally hid that from the Irish, but it worked.

I wonder what we'll see this year. I wonder how much might be hidden in week 1 planning to break it out in week 2. I know it's tougher to try it given the coaching change and all, but something to think about.

exactly, the coaches are saying all kinds of things. They haven't done anything yet. Every single season under Lloyd we'd hear about how the offense is looking special and how they're going to open things up and go crazy this year. Then they'd come out and run it up the gut 50 times (obviously an exaggeration.)

We have no idea what this staff is going to do.

That being said, I don't get the idea that they are going to force a bunch of power plays down these player's throats. A lot of posters want the power run/play action pass system installed (I refuse to use the terms pro system, they use all types of offensive schemes in the nfl, not just this one.) Its all in the words right now, though. Our last coach came in and said that he'd tailor things to the players AND install the spread. Well, he didn't tailor anything. This coach is saying that he's going to tailor things to the players and slowly install the power system.

We'll see.

bamf16 said:
DR said:

I was happy about those two starting the scrimmage, although as SH points out, the CB situation appears to be in flux.

I would actually like to see Johnson and Kovacs start at safety with T. Gordon the nickel back and first backup at either spot.

DR said:
bamf16 said:

I was happy about those two starting the scrimmage, although as SH points out, the CB situation appears to be in flux.

I would actually like to see Johnson and Kovacs start at safety with T. Gordon the nickel back and first backup at either spot.

Can't really disagree with Carvin in there ahead of T. Gordon. I don't think there's a ton of separation between the two. As for nickle back, I'd rather see a corner if the opposition goes to 3 or 4 wides. If the opposition finds themselves in a second and 8 or something like that and keeps in its base 2 wides and TE, then going nickle back with a safety makes sense to match up against a TE that's more likely to be a receiving threat.

Bo always kept the offense bland for non-conference opponents and Carr followed suit. I'm sure Hoke/Borges will do the same to some extent and is why I don't expect to see 63 points on WMU or EMU.

bamf16 said:
DR said:

Can't really disagree with Carvin in there ahead of T. Gordon. I don't think there's a ton of separation between the two. As for nickle back, I'd rather see a corner if the opposition goes to 3 or 4 wides. If the opposition finds themselves in a second and 8 or something like that and keeps in its base 2 wides and TE, then going nickle back with a safety makes sense to match up against a TE that's more likely to be a receiving threat.

I guess it depends on the team. Against a spread like NW's that doesn't have great athletes at WR, but can hurt you with the run I'd rather have Gordon out there, but against a team like ND, yeah, the loser of the Avery/Floyd battle would make sense.

bigvic said:
Bo always kept the offense bland for non-conference opponents and Carr followed suit. I'm sure Hoke/Borges will do the same to some extent and is why I don't expect to see 63 points on WMU or EMU.

basically... they practiced good coaching: don't give future opponents game film if you don't have to. and don't TRY to run up the score on some hapless MAC team that's just happy to be there. Run up the score on an overrated ND squad, or an ohio squad running their mouths about how Michigan isn't even a rivalry anymore.

[color=#FF6103 said:
Monster [/color]]the offense looks like last year's offense? SWEET...if we're playing Eastern Michigan every game!

well... like Wheels said, I think the main take away from that is that Borges & Hoke are going to be flexible in their approach, and aren't wedded to doing things "their way" at the expense of the win-loss column like RR was. if we need to just line up in the I and run it over an opponent, at least we can look forward to that again. It was pretty frustrating to listen to all the hoopla about Barwis making our players into "supermen," and then listen to the excuses flow about how we can't block anybody, or we can't just line up and run the ball down MSU's throat like we used to until we get more talent... but I digress.

No question we have a QB who is not well-suited to being a drop back passer, and probably can't make a lot of the throws that a drop back passer would make. His ability to scramble is a huge advantage, and they would be remiss to ignore that and force him to play away from his strengths in order to "build for the future" like the nonsense we heard about RR having to use Threet like that. you don't "build for the future" by running down your current team, chasing players away, and blaming them for bad results due entirely to the decisions you made. at least everyone can finally agree about that!

The only downside that I see of keeping an element of RR's scheme on offense is going to be having to listen to that dipshit on CBS blather about how he knew we were on the edge of success and he just needed one more season to make it work...

Looking forward to a great season. Wish the kicking game was looking better. Expect the defense to be much improved. We are going to need the defense to be much improved. Denard is a great player, and I expect he will have another productive year, but it is clear that we can't beat quality opponents with him alone, especially expecting 20+ carries per game. I expect he will still get big plays. Spreading the carries around should help to keep him healthy later in the season when we need him to make big plays the most. Can't wait for Saturday!

Go Blue!

MichChamp02 said:
bigvic said:

basically... they practiced good coaching: don't give future opponents game film if you don't have to. and don't TRY to run up the score on some hapless MAC team that's just happy to be there. Run up the score on an overrated ND squad, or an ohio squad running their mouths about how Michigan isn't even a rivalry anymore.

Well and Bo's goal was always Win the BigTen ....which meant Rose Bowl and the only way to play in a bowl. There were no points for running it up on cupcakes.

MichChamp02 said:
[color=#FF6103 said:
Monster [/color]]the offense looks like last year's offense? SWEET...if we're playing Eastern Michigan every game!

well... like Wheels said, I think the main take away from that is that Borges & Hoke are going to be flexible in their approach, and aren't wedded to doing things "their way" at the expense of the win-loss column like RR was. if we need to just line up in the I and run it over an opponent, at least we can look forward to that again. It was pretty frustrating to listen to all the hoopla about Barwis making our players into "supermen," and then listen to the excuses flow about how we can't block anybody, or we can't just line up and run the ball down MSU's throat like we used to until we get more talent... but I digress.

No question we have a QB who is not well-suited to being a drop back passer, and probably can't make a lot of the throws that a drop back passer would make. His ability to scramble is a huge advantage, and they would be remiss to ignore that and force him to play away from his strengths in order to "build for the future" like the nonsense we heard about RR having to use Threet like that. you don't "build for the future" by running down your current team, chasing players away, and blaming them for bad results due entirely to the decisions you made. at least everyone can finally agree about that!

i agree with everything you said champ. for once

The only downside that I see of keeping an element of RR's scheme on offense is going to be having to listen to that dipshit on CBS blather about how he knew we were on the edge of success and he just needed one more season to make it work...

Back