Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Starting Corners for next year..

tigers99888

I think the Lions should try to find a good #1 or #2 corner to replace Eric Wright then you can have a top 3 of Houston, Draft pick and Alphonso Smith.. I think Smith makes the ideal Nickel as he goes for the ball and can create turnovers, but his covering skills are mediocre and therefore can't check a #1 WR... Houston is our best corner but he's not elite either.. I think we need to find our #1 in the draft, as Houston makes an excellent #2..

tigers99888 said:
I think the Lions should try to find a good #1 or #2 corner to replace Eric Wright then you can have a top 3 of Houston, Draft pick and Alphonso Smith.. I think Smith makes the ideal Nickel as he goes for the ball and can create turnovers, but his covering skills are mediocre and therefore can't check a #1 WR... Houston is our best corner but he's not elite either.. I think we need to find our #1 in the draft, as Houston makes an excellent #2..

Compared to the parade of clowns they've had in the back field in recent years I can't see these positions as being the biggest concern at this time. Still say ya gotta go O-line first and foremost.

TigerMud said:
tigers99888 said:

Compared to the parade of clowns they've had in the back field in recent years I can't see these positions as being the biggest concern at this time. Still say ya gotta go O-line first and foremost.
I agree, but you can find a number 1 corner in the second round...

RT, C, RG, CB, S, DE are our biggest positions of need and in that order imo. If you can get an elite LT and move Backus to RT it kills 2 birds.

michael griffin S is another titan FA that could help our secondary...come on down!

mhughes0021 said:
RT, C, RG, CB, S, DE are our biggest positions of need and in that order imo. If you can get an elite LT and move Backus to RT it kills 2 birds.

Backus is a free agent at the end of the year. Are we bringing him back? I doubt it after his play this year and he is in decline.

I think LT is the #1 priority. But if an elite or very good LT prospect is not there at the Lions first pick, I could seee us taking Janoris Jenkins to fill the #1 CB and KR/PR guy.

Kalil, Reif, Martin and Decastro will be gone. Glenn or Konz will be there. Can't go wrong

thehippo73 said:
mhughes0021 said:

Backus is a free agent at the end of the year. Are we bringing him back? I doubt it after his play this year and he is in decline.

I think LT is the #1 priority. But if an elite or very good LT prospect is not there at the Lions first pick, I could seee us taking Janoris Jenkins to fill the #1 CB and KR/PR guy.

No way in hell Jenkins will be in a Lions jersey.

They gave Peterman a mulligan after last year due to his lingering injury, chances are they'll do the same with Backus, signing him to a one or two year deal. If extended the offer, I doubt he goes anywhere...likely would be willing to take a smaller paycheck as he recognizes his abilities are in decline and probably would not be offered big $$$ elsewhere.

Still so many holes to fill, especially at DB. I'm betting they continue to focus more heavily on D. Have to figure all the talk has been about how improved the front 7 have been, if they can make the back 4 a serious threat they'll jump on the opportunity.

What does the FA situation look like this upcoming year at CB and S??? On the plus side, there is definite upside to this team so some talented FAs could look at the Lions as their shot at a SB once a few pieces fall into place. MM&Co are proven capable of enticing good players, now let's see them bring in some elite talent at the right price because those guys want to win a SB.

[color=#551A8B said:
Danny Diggler[/color]]
thehippo73 said:

Never know with this regime. They've shown a willingness to move up in the draft to get their guy...if that guy is Jenkins, they might swing a deal. Don't forget, it isn't as costly now to move up with the rookie cap in terms of $$$...so only major concern is trade terms. Who would the Lions be willing to trade to get him? I could see them shopping Alphonso and Berry to pick up a CB like Jenkins. Obviously they'd need to throw in some other talent as well, just saying they might try using existing CBs as part of the trade, though we definitely could stand to keep them for depth ourselves.

Still, it would likely be a couple years before a rookie CB takes over #1 from Houston, so they'd more likely fill Wright's place at #2. Is Wright a good nickel? If Smith is the better nickel, maybe they trade Wright???

zyxt9 said:
[color=#551A8B said:
Danny Diggler[/color]]

Never know with this regime. They've shown a willingness to move up in the draft to get their guy...if that guy is Jenkins, they might swing a deal. Don't forget, it isn't as costly now to move up with the rookie cap in terms of $$$...so only major concern is trade terms. Who would the Lions be willing to trade to get him? I could see them shopping Alphonso and Berry to pick up a CB like Jenkins. Obviously they'd need to throw in some other talent as well, just saying they might try using existing CBs as part of the trade, though we definitely could stand to keep them for depth ourselves.

Still, it would likely be a couple years before a rookie CB takes over #1 from Houston, so they'd more likely fill Wright's place at #2. Is Wright a good nickel? If Smith is the better nickel, maybe they trade Wright???

I think he was referring to his character issues rather than him being gone.

cheeno said:
zyxt9 said:

I think he was referring to his character issues rather than him being gone.

Bingo

dont forget mayhew's attempts in the draft to move up for PP. i wonder what moves he has up his sleeves this year.. he obviously likes the idea of 2 or 3 blue chip players total as opposed to 6 or 7 players with only 1 or 2 great prospects

Ist Rd I think will be BPA at either OL or CB, should be a couple of good OL still there. Perfect situation is to get a LT move Backus to RT, put Gosder in for Peterman at G and draft a bigger C in the 3rd or 4th rd, those 3 moves on the OL and another real good CB and we will be closer to the elite teams or be elite by 2013 and should have a nice 5 yr run :)

I would expect at our spot the better value would be DeCastro or Glenn, rather than an OT. CBs currently in our range are similar to OTs. Top corners (Claiborne, Kirkpatrick) are way out of our range, and Jenkins/Dennard could easily be gone as well. The next tier is too much of a reach for our BPA idea.

So, while it would be ideal to get a #1 corner or OT in the draft, the BPA for our needs is more likely a guard. Finnegan or even Rogers would be fine CB additions. We could hope to land an upgrade at RT in the second round with someone like Adcock.

I think they'll take a DT in the 1st round...

Leroy Hill will be here next year, and he can play everywhere.

Back