Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Steel tariff vs infrastructure

Pretty sure that the TPP was being agressively pushed by Republicans in Congress, who wanted to give Obama of all POTUS, fast-track power to sign off on it. You are aware the neither the TPP or NAFTA involves China or India?

Yes it’s all free fair trade related..and no I didn’t support those republicans either. Lou dobbs is another fav..trump fullfills another campaign promise and the left wing media is flipping out, lol boy aren’t they

Last edited:
We can only hope Trump has 3 more years. Because if he gets eight years we are really fucked. Really don't want him impeached because Pence is a religious nutbag. But then again Trump is a lying piece of shit and probably going to go down as the most corrupt president ever. A complete Clown in office.

Last edited:
We can only hope Trump has 3 more years. Because if he gets eight years we are really fucked. Really don't want him impeached because Pence is a religious nutbag. But then again Trump is a lying piece of shit and probably going to go down as the moist corrupt president ever. A complete Clown in office.

More corrupt than Bush/Cheyney who started a war so Cheyney's former company could make billions?

"He may talk like an idiot, and look like an idiot. But don't let that fool you. He really is an idiot."

Yes it’s all free fair trade related..and no I didn’t support those republicans either. Lou dobbs is another fav..trump fullfills another campaign promise and the left wing media is flipping out, lol boy aren’t they

That so-called "left wing media" provided Trump with the equivalent of over $2 billion in free campaign coverage, far outpacing Clinton @ ~$750M, and Sanders/Cruz @ ~$350M.

They all heavily scrutinize and are critical of every sitting POTUS, except Fox News. To call them left is being quite disingenuous.

Last edited:
I'd say investigate him for insider trading and throw his ass in jail if found guilty.

There are few who could have alerted Icahn about the impending steel/aluminum tariffs, that including Mr. Magoo Wilbur Ross, or blabberlips Trump himself.

"STOCKHOLM (Reuters) - Sweden’s Electrolux (ELUXb.ST), Europe’s largest home appliance maker, said on Friday it would delay a planned $250 million investment in Tennessee, after U.S. President Donald Trump announced tariffs on imported aluminum and steel."

https://uk.reuters.com/article/us-u...-on-hold-over-trump-tariff-hike-idUKKCN1GE1P0

Every action has an "equal" and opposite reaction, especially when in retaliation.

The EU is also implementing tariffs against Levi's jeans, bourbon and HD motorcycles.

Seems like an eclectic mix until you realize these industry giants are headquartered in the home states of the SotH, the Senate majority leader and the House majority leader.

Well played, EU...well played indeed!!

More "winning" for Murka!!

Last edited:
That so-called "left wing media" provided Trump with the equivalent of over $2 billion in free campaign coverage, far outpacing Clinton @ ~$750M, and Sanders/Cruz @ ~$350M.

They all heavily scrutinize and are critical of every sitting POTUS, except Fox News. To call them left is being quite disingenuous.

every time I flip to CNN there is always somebody on there whining about trump this trump that. it's nauseating. I really don't think it matters what he does they'll find a way to complain about it.

Last edited:
There are few who could have alerted Icahn about the impending steel/aluminum tariffs, that including Mr. Magoo Wilbur Ross, or blabberlips Trump himself.

Not for me to say or decided and the way those laws work it doesn't matter if Trump said anything to him or not Trump isn't the one that acted on the information and sold the stock, if Icahn got a heads up and sold on that heads up that's all on him, not the person(s) whom he may have gotten that information from. ask Martha.

We can only hope Trump has 3 more years. Because if he gets eight years we are really fucked. Really don't want him impeached because Pence is a religious nutbag. But then again Trump is a lying piece of shit and probably going to go down as the moist corrupt president ever. A complete Clown in office.

If the dems win the midterms they are going to move to impeach IMO along with the SC aiming to bring it all out right before or after for max effect. I pray they aren't successful it'll tear the country apart from the inside out.

every time I flip to CNN there is always somebody on there whining about trump this trump that. it's nauseating. I really don't think it matters what he does they'll find a way to complain about it.

Unlike his predessors, Trump wants and expects to see his name and actions featured prominently among the top news headlines each and everyday, and spends many hours each day scanning the national TV news networks for that purpose. If you want them to stop, then he needs to stop trying to constantly be the center of attention.

If the dems win the midterms they are going to move to impeach IMO along with the SC aiming to bring it all out right before or after for max effect. I pray they aren't successful it'll tear the country apart from the inside out.

Whats the difference? Trump and TV channels like Fox news are dividing this country further each day. Fox news has been doing it for years. We just need a blue wave to stop Trump's terrible agenda . I doubt they go for impeachment with Pence, and Ryan waiting in the wings. Cant allow the GOP to steal another justice away with their gerrymandering cheating ways.

So back to the original topic, I have a question.

I won't pretend I'm some expert on tariffs and what not. My first thought when countries said they were going to respond to the tariffs with taxes and such of their own was "Duh, how could you not see a retort coming?" But Trump's response was somewhere along the lines of "You already tax our goods heavily, I'm just reacting to your policies."

I can't really find solid information. My question is: Are US goods really already heavily taxed overseas or is this just hot air from Trump in response to an obvious reaction from other countries?

Last edited:
So back to the original topic, I have a question.

I won't pretend I'm some expert on tariffs and what not. My first thought when countries said they were going to respond to the tariffs with taxes and such of their own was "Duh, how could you not see a retort coming?" But Trump's response was somewhere along the lines of "You already tax our goods heavily, I'm just reacting to your policies."

I can't really find solid information. My question is: Are US goods really already heavily taxed overseas or is this just hot air from Trump in response to an obvious reaction from other countries?

Japan is very protective of their manufacturing and industry. Not only do they place tariffs upon foreign competitors' imported products, they also do so to foreign-based businesses who export products made in their country.

'

We don't have the capability to produce modern high tensile steel and the steel mills here in the midwest have long gone to seed. The cost to rebuild and train workers, plus rejuvenate the rail lines and revive the dead railroads who served them would take a long time and be very high.

this is factually incorrect. the US produces a lot of high tensile steel - mostly in PA and Ohio. we also import it from Japan and South Korea, but we produce some of the highest quality steel in the world here. the Midwest also produces a lot of the titanium we consume - another highly advanced process. maybe you are confusing the US with China - China is the country that is way behind the curve when it comes to high grade steel production.

Last edited:

98% of that coverage was negative in an attempt to discredit him. clearly it backfired as they weren't reading their own poll numbers indicating they were viewed less favorably than Congress, Clinton and Trump. to put it another way, to cite the dollar value of his coverage to say they don't skew left is being quite disingenuous.

Last edited:
Not for me to say or decided and the way those laws work it doesn't matter if Trump said anything to him or not Trump isn't the one that acted on the information and sold the stock, if Icahn got a heads up and sold on that heads up that's all on him, not the person(s) whom he may have gotten that information from. ask Martha.

I don't think that's true - if the leaker has reason to believe the person would benefit from the info I believe they can be held criminally liable.

98% of that coverage was negative in an attempt to discredit him. clearly it backfired as they weren't reading their own poll numbers indicating they were viewed less favorably than Congress, Clinton and Trump. to put it another way, to cite the dollar value of his coverage to say they don't skew left is being quite disingenuous.

98%?

Where did you get that high figure from?

Trump didn't receive any negative coverage until after he was a no show for a press conference in late summer that he set up, then bragged about pulling one over on them via tweets and during campaign rallies. Then after they objected to what he did, sicced his supporters upon the attending reporters and camera crews during rallies, making threats and vile accusations, and causing the crews to fear for their safety.

Back