Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Supposed ex-player petition

To save you a click...

Ex-Michigan Players Want Dave Brandon OUT As The Michigan AD

September 25/2014 B1G Ten, College football, Michigan Football 26 comments

Since my post two days ago about the Michigan AD position, I’ve been inundated with information from people in the Athletic Department and former players. I’m not sure where to start, but here goes….

I’m told that more than 450 ex-football players signed a petition and presented it to the Board of Regents at Michigan to oust Dave Brandon from his position. The players believe that Brandon is completely out of control and tearing the Athletic Department apart at the seams, he is a bull in a China shop. According to the ex-player group, he is disrespectful to everyone in the department and often disciplines and fired employees on a whim. The department is “toxic” right now. Apparently he has alienated nearly everybody in the department and some in the B1G offices.

Here is an e-mail from a former Michigan Football Captain to the Regents at Michigan outlining the “grievances” against Brandon.

1)Student tix reorders down over14,000

2)alumni tix reorder down big (DB wont announce #)

3)DB micromanages M sports

– On sidelines during games, hugging and coaching players on nationwide television

-cutting nets down in regional final 4 championship, before head coach

-attends football staff meetings and reviews game films w coaches

4)Took U of M regents out of following decisions..

-$6,000,00 grant to fund lacrosse programs

-head coaching hires

-dynamic tix pricing

-seat licences affecting lifelong season ticket holder

-major price increases of season tickets to al (wants corporations,not lifelong M holders)

5)Got Mary Sue Coleman president job w his republican vote then got her to name him AD after telling regents he only ran for regent so he could pursue political dreams(governor)

6)Broke past AD promises of “lifelong season tickets” to alumni members

7)Knew Les Miles and Jim Harbaugh wanted M job, never offered either

8)Mott Children Hospital handling of Charles Woodsn and Hutchinson charity (YaleVan Dyne to elaborate)

9)Put Daktronics video billboard facing Stadium Blvd without first consulting city of Ann Arbor..forced to take 2M investmet down

10)Has been quoted many times in national media, “I was CEO of 3 fortune 500 companies and learned if it’s not broke,break it” He has succeeded in this one

11)Corporations,not alumni and students, rule M

12)Covered up Mary Sue Colemans drunk episode at Nebraska halftime as a “malfunction of the sound system”

13)Al Borges issues

14)Takes retired #’s and puts them on current players so he can sell more jerseys(what a prick and a slap in the face to all M tradition)

15)Sells sponsorship for head coach salary and others to people like Ira Harris e al

16)Everything for sale at U of M

Jacks up prices of hot dogs, water ect to students who cant afford it

17)Has alienated Schembechler boys

18)Did nothing after Ann Arbor police informed him before Iowa game that Brendan Gibbons and Lewan involved in rape case, then instructed coaches to say nada

19)Fires Ron Warhurst, Pam Stevens,Charley Green,Bruce Madeji and many others regardless of service to Michigan athletics

2)Reminds me of Adolph Hitler

Just a start boys, you and I have lots more

The most interesting of all these “grievances” is number 7. He knew Les Miles and Jim Harbaugh wanted the Head Coaching job and didn’t approach either of them, wow.

As far as Miles is concerned, Brandon flew to Baton Rouge to “talk to Les Miles,” while talking to Les at the Baton Rouge Airport he proceeded to tell Miles why he wasn’t going to offer the gig. Including “I can’t afford you.” In other words, he wasn’t hiring Miles under any circumstances. He also NEVER even reached out to Jim Harbaugh.

One guy who played with Harbaugh and is still close with the Niner’s Head Coach told me flat out “Jim and Les’s dream job is Michigan” but Brandon’s old insecurities prevent him from hiring a coach with a higher profile than him. Let me repeat and be clear, Les would leave LSU and Jim would consider the Michigan job if there was a new, acceptable AD running the show in Ann Arbor. Both of these men want the Michigan job, they are just waiting to be wanted by Michigan. The talk of Harbaugh not wanting to recruit is baloney according to those close to him, the wife doesn’t want to leave San Francisco, but would if Jim wanted to return to Michigan.

An interesting new name to surface on the potential AD list is Texas Tech Deputy AD Joe Parker who was instrumental in raising the money for the upgrades to Michigan Stadium among other projects. Joe Parker is also extremely close to massive Michigan donor Stephen Ross, the owner of The Miami Dolphins. He may be a better candidate at this point than Ward Manuel.

I’m also told that Brandon is in full panic mode over the Michigan attendance issue, he doesn’t want to be the AD that breaks the 100,000 plus streak. I can also confirm than U of M is dumping tickets to schools and organizations in and around Ann Arbor, once they are out of Michigan’s hands they can count them at “sold.”

My sources tell me this is how it is likely to play out if Brandon is fired.

The new AD will be named and will have to give Brady Hoke one more year (2015) to be fair to him and the Athletic Department. Most of Hoke’s people are pointing to next year as Brady’s best chance to compete for the B1G title and a playoff spot. This scenario of course changes if Harbaugh is available.

David Brandon’s house of cards is collapsing and there are many “Michigan Men” who are happy and working to make it happen.

So Michigan Football is a China shop. I can live with that analogy.

...but Hitler?

Last edited:
Eh... so basically Dave Brandon is responsible for literally EVERYTHING that has gone wrong with Michigan athletics since his hire.

I'm curious about #'s 5 & 12. What's with the MSC connection? MLady was Brandon a moving force in her getting hired, and him getting to be AD a quid pro quo?

MSC seemed to get a lot of hate from the Mob sector of the fanbase. I don't know why... I figured that as head of that certain liberal university, an academic, AND female she pushed more of their buttons than a male University president would.

I'm tempted to call bullshit on there being 450 ex-players on a petition. That would be an incredible effort. That's like every player for 15-20 years. On the other hand, if life expectancy after football is 50-60 years, you're talking 25-33% of all the ex-football players. Maybe possible. So I won't call bullshit, but I'm skeptical.

I'm a bit confused about why a new AD would have to give Hoke another year. New ADs get their head coach in the first year all the time.

Off the topic of my head, I think it's fair to blame Brandon for:
- insane ticket price increases
- stupid marketing gimmicks (ugly throwback jerseys & "legends" numbers)
- Hiring Brady Hoke (and if the jury is still out on that, it's likely they won't be deliberating much longer)

Not sure if...
- DB approved the piped-in pop music or that was one of BM's last changes to the gameday experience. I thought I remember it happening for RichRod's last couple years.
- Wasn't BM the AD when the Gibbons/rape occurred? I thought for sure it was 2009. How is DB possibly responsible for that?
- some of the notable staff departures during DB's tenure were firings or legit retirements. I know Ron Warhurst had been there since the 70's... he was my uncle's coach there. And Bruce Madej was near retirement age as well.

Don't get me wrong: I do not like DB, and I would not mind seeing him gone and most, if not all, of the changes that have occurred to the Gameday experience & Michigan Stadium under his tenure completely reversed, but this list seems a little far-reaching. He may not be the right man for the job, but he can't travel time or be in multiple places at once.

wow.

based on what I was told, sounds like Mrs Jim H has softened on relocating to A2 since 2010 and Jim was 'low-balled' by DB. this '3rd party whisper' says never offered but I have a pretty solid and close source that said the offer was insulting and low and that DB knew JH would reject it.

so much drama

Off the topic of my head, I think it's fair to blame Brandon for:
- insane ticket price increases
- stupid marketing gimmicks (ugly throwback jerseys & "legends" numbers)
- Hiring Brady Hoke (and if the jury is still out on that, it's likely they won't be deliberating much longer)

Not sure if...
- DB approved the piped-in pop music or that was one of BM's last changes to the gameday experience. I thought I remember it happening for RichRod's last couple years.
- Wasn't BM the AD when the Gibbons/rape occurred? I thought for sure it was 2009. How is DB possibly responsible for that?
- some of the notable staff departures during DB's tenure were firings or legit retirements. I know Ron Warhurst had been there since the 70's... he was my uncle's coach there. And Bruce Madej was near retirement age as well.

Don't get me wrong: I do not like DB, and I would not mind seeing him gone and most, if not all, of the changes that have occurred to the Gameday experience & Michigan Stadium under his tenure completely reversed, but this list seems a little far-reaching. He may not be the right man for the job, but he can't travel time or be in multiple places at once.

DB was in charge when the university investigated. I think Gibbons played (the Iowa game?) while under investigation. Then when removed from the team, everybody was upset over what Hoke said about why he wasn't playing. Brandon could have some degree of blame depending on how much he micromanaged the situation.

I thought Jim H said he didn't want to fly all over recruiting high schoolers.

Vic... so you're saying there's still a chance...
CP+harbaugh_bo_350.jpg

(couldn't find a pic of the logo people made for Harbaugh '11 when the chief Excuse Maker was still coach)

Last edited by a moderator:
(couldn't find a pic of the logo people made for Harbaugh '11 when the chief Excuse Maker was still coach)

I approve of bad photoshopping. Gets the point across, doesn't lead people to being misled.

wow.

based on what I was told, sounds like Mrs Jim H has softened on relocating to A2 since 2010 and Jim was 'low-balled' by DB. this '3rd party whisper' says never offered but I have a pretty solid and close source that said the offer was insulting and low and that DB knew JH would reject it.

so much drama

I thought Jim H said he didn't want to fly all over recruiting high schoolers.

yeah... this link DID come from MGoBlog, that hotbed of Excuse Making, so it's impossible to know for sure, until we get further corroboration. They've had it in for Dave Brandon ever since he fired their True Love, RichRod.

There have been so many rumors surrounding the Les Miles/Jim Harbaugh situations that it's almost foolish to throw more out there.

Apparently Bacon said something on the radio supporting the existence of this letter: http://mgoblog.com/mgoboard/uh-i-think-john-u-bacon-confirmed-gregg-henson-rumor-wtka-morning

But they [the former players] don't get a vote. They're not on the board. They're not, you know, in the president's ear in the normal way. They are writing him a letter, obviously, and they - many - I think hundreds have signed it. What it does tell Schlissel is this. I can't imagine president schl taking action based solely on the lettermen's letter. But I can see him thinking if he decides to make a decision, 'Well, one problem I will not have is obstruction from the lettermen. They're not going to defend the current direction.

Who exactly fires an AD? The President or is it some type of board decision?

Brandon wasn't responsible for the Beilein hire correct? That was a Martin thing?

Back