Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Supreme Court Sides With Colorado Baker Who Turned Away Gay Couple

There is evidence that Jewish and Roman historians chronicled the existence of a dude named Jesus who existed at the time and in the place and rose to some level of folk lore status, not long after his lifetime, and unrelated to Christian scripture.

The Guardian.

This is one article.

A person can find others.

A person can also find articles and studies that argue he more likely didn't actually even exist.

So who knows...

I've never heard of a survey, but my impression is that most academics believe there is sufficient evidence to conclude the person referenced was a real person that was executed.

There's a very successful pastor in my area that I know exists. I know he exists because he got arrested for exposing himself at a local Metropark.

There's a very successful pastor in my area that I know exists. I know he exists because he got arrested for exposing himself at a local Metropark.

Do you realize that in my post you replied to, I was making an argument against religious influence in politics?

I've never heard of a survey, but my impression is that most academics believe there is sufficient evidence to conclude the person referenced was a real person that was executed.

I should have been more specific. The Jesus that could do magic tricks and came back to life after being killed is what I meant. Some random guy named Jesus that was a cult leader, sure, that guy probably existed.

I should have been more specific. The Jesus that could do magic tricks and came back to life after being killed is what I meant. Some random guy named Jesus that was a cult leader, sure, that guy probably existed.

There are at least a couple atheists out there with books that try to argue against even that minimal case.

Well everybody knows you obviously don?t believe Jesus is magic.

Lots of people on this board don?t believe it.

Well everybody knows you obviously don?t believe Jesus is magic.

Lots of people on this board don?t believe that.

There are at least a couple atheists out there with books that try to argue against even that minimal case.

Ive read some. I think there MAY have been some guy. But not the biblical version. The "story" of Jesus seems too plagiarized from other religions that significantly pre-date the time he allegedly lived. Most notably Horus. But hey, this is far from the only thing Christianity stole from the Pagans

EDIT: Possibly there was new year but that would’ve been a Roman thing, and the calendar was not even a century old by then. It would have been odd for anyone to celebrate Christmas, and obviously Jesus’s lifetime would have a pre-dated Easter.

it wouldn't have been odd for Jesus' family to celebrate his birthday, if celebrating birthdays was the custom back then - I have no idea when people started doing that.

Yeah, I don't think he was a big fan of profiteering or capitalism in general, accumulating wealth, or rich people.

You're 100% right about that. hey, I'm okay not treating some plutocrat as my brother either.

tax collectors are government bureaucrats, not capitalists.

and I'm pretty sure Jesus would treat plutocrats as his brother. I doubt any plutocrats would give a shit how you regard them.

it wouldn't have been odd for Jesus' family to celebrate his birthday, if celebrating birthdays was the custom back then - I have no idea when people started doing that.

Jesus birthday and the celebration of it by his family or later by his apostles and Christmas wouldn't have been the same thing.

It would have been the same birthday celebration that any other miracle working carpenter at the time would have had.

Jesus birthday and the celebration of it by his family or later by his apostles and Christmas wouldn't have been the same thing.

It would have been the same birthday celebration that any other miracle working carpenter at the time would have had.

Why do Christians celebrate the birth of the character Jesus in December? I believe the bible puts the actual date in the late summer some time, perhaps August.

Why do Christians celebrate the birth of the character Jesus in December? I believe the bible puts the actual date in the late summer some time, perhaps August.

I think it's convenient to have it on December 25th because it's the same day that Santa delivers presents.

I think it's convenient to have it on December 25th because it's the same day that Santa delivers presents.

Exactly.

Santa is actually celebrating the pagan Saturnalian and Yule, the celebration of the return of longer daylight.

So it works out perfectly to have Christmas then.

Back