Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

The 2020 how you would have done it post-draft draft

yup. Look at the 49ers. They have a good OL and turds like Raheem Mostert and Matt Breida (both undrafted) have great success.

You know who helps make the decisions for the 49ers. Martin Mayhew. He is assistant GM

Joe Staley was there for a long time. He just retired and they added Trent Williams now
Mike McGlinchey 1st round pick 2018

Weston Richburg they gave a big FA contract. He was an injury risk and somehow now can stay healthy. Let's see some of that health for Kerryon, Stafford, Hand etc

Tom Compton. Journeyman vet at guard. They draft bust Josh Garnett. He is no Lions now

Oh and guy by the name of Laken Tomlinson at LG. Who the Lions drafted by the way in the pick right before Abdullah in 2015.
Reiff 2012 draft, Laken 2015 draft, Decker 2016 draft, Ragnow 2018 draft literally took an Oline before they took KJ hughes. Stop acting like Mayhew/Quinn didn't add Oline. Big contracts to good FAs in Wagner/Lang. Now a big contract for Big Val. 3rd round Glasgow who was solid and just got 11 per from Denver. And now 3rd and 4th round picks in 2020. Yes they are allowed to take KJ and Swift. They have 2nd round value. Kerryon looks good when healthy. Swift great insurance now.

49ers spent big money on Jerrick McKinnon and Tevin Coleman BTW at RB. Lions get cheap 2nd round picks and don't kill the cap. And 49ers just traded Breida for a 5th round pick. Couldn't pay him since they are paying 2 other backs big money

Last edited:
Weve traded up for Best, Leshoure and Kerryon....all day1 or day2 picks. Im still waiting for it to make a difference. Oh wait...maybe thats cause it doesnt matter what RB you have when your oline is shit. The focus should have been on solid Oline propects with all those picks then you can draft a RB in rd 3 or 4 like a Zach Moss....and poof...your run game is fixed. instead we draft 4 rbs and waste a bunch of picks. Doesnt matter what organization comes in here...they continue to build the offense the wrong way.

Hughes
You forget
Laken 2015 1st round, Abdullah 2nd round. They literally took Oline right before the RB.
2018 Ragnow Round 1. Again, literally took Oline before they took KJ

Hughes
You forget
Laken 2015 1st round, Abdullah 2nd round. They literally took Oline right before the RB.
2018 Ragnow Round 1. Again, literally took Oline before they took KJ

fuck...thanks for reminding me. Completely forgot about fumbledullah. 5 RB draft picks wasted! You realize how ridiculous that is right? That doesnt even include the 3 wasted picks to trade up to get those duds.

Last edited:
fuck...thanks for reminding me. Completely forgot about fumbledullah. 5 RB draft picks wasted! You realize how ridiculous that is right? That doesnt even include the 3 wasted picks to trade up to get those duds.

You said we didn't take Oline. We did. In the first round many times.

Best. Injury. Risk but Lions desperately needed a game changer at the time. The trade up we didn't lose a pick we swapped 4th round position.

LeShoure was the power back to complement Best and supposed to be Best insurance. Gave up a 4th round pick and swapped position in 5th and 7th round. He got slow after an injury. Weed issues. Great Oline play in 2011 by the way even though we took LeShoure and wasted our 3rd and 4th rounder on him. 2012 problems were not from LeShoure it was from a ton of injuries to the weapons and injuries on defense

2013-2015. Decent money on Reggie Bush and Joique Bell years. So did use UDFAs with some success. Bush cut once he got expensive in 2015. Once Bush, cut time to add a new back. Enter Abdullah

Abdullah. He was wanted in Round 2. Productive with good character. Injury hurt him in 2016 (lisfranc) and the fumbles. It's not the fact they took a back, his issues crept up plus an injury. Plus Caldwell/Cooter run schemes didn't always work out too well. Terrible Oline coach at the time too.

KJ gave up a 4th round pick to move up. KJ has been good and worth it. Again injuries is the problem not talent. I'll enjoy KJ for two more years but then not pay him big money.

Given the injuries, we take Swift to give insurance for KJ. Good back on the team through 2023 season hopefully. Take another 2nd round RB in 2022 or 2023 draft.

I'd take a back every 3 years in Round 2 as opposed to spending big in free agency. For every Breida/Mostert, there are 100s of bad late round and UDFA RBs.

49ers Oline didn't have some magic 1st and 2nd round combo of picks. They have old Lion Laken, some journeyman, oft-injured center, Staley who has been there forever and a 1st rounder in McGlinchey. Built by Martin Mayhew.

We got two talented guys, improved run blocking on Oline and Bevell scheme. Recipe for success in 2020.

Losing two 4th round picks didn't crush this team. It was many many injuries and some draft misses as well or guys working out at first then not working out. Or Oline coach problems.

Last edited:
You know who helps make the decisions for the 49ers. Martin Mayhew. He is assistant GM

Joe Staley was there for a long time. He just retired and they added Trent Williams now
Mike McGlinchey 1st round pick 2018

Weston Richburg they gave a big FA contract. He was an injury risk and somehow now can stay healthy. Let's see some of that health for Kerryon, Stafford, Hand etc

Tom Compton. Journeyman vet at guard. They draft bust Josh Garnett. He is no Lions now

Oh and guy by the name of Laken Tomlinson at LG. Who the Lions drafted by the way in the pick right before Abdullah in 2015.
Reiff 2012 draft, Laken 2015 draft, Decker 2016 draft, Ragnow 2018 draft literally took an Oline before they took KJ hughes. Stop acting like Mayhew/Quinn didn't add Oline. Big contracts to good FAs in Wagner/Lang. Now a big contract for Big Val. 3rd round Glasgow who was solid and just got 11 per from Denver. And now 3rd and 4th round picks in 2020. Yes they are allowed to take KJ and Swift. They have 2nd round value. Kerryon looks good when healthy. Swift great insurance now.

49ers spent big money on Jerrick McKinnon and Tevin Coleman BTW at RB. Lions get cheap 2nd round picks and don't kill the cap. And 49ers just traded Breida for a 5th round pick. Couldn't pay him since they are paying 2 other backs big money

well, maybe it's not the personnel but the coaching (Shannahan vs. Patricia)

well, maybe it's not the personnel but the coaching (Shannahan vs. Patricia)

There was some success. Reggie Bush 1,000 yard year
KJ 5.1 YPC rookie year
Abdullah good YPC his rookie year

Bo and Ty Johnson good YPC last year as well.

Bevell and company with this Oline and two good running backs should have succcess running the ball in 2020. Maybe the best running year we've had in awhile. Never been top 20. They could be top 15, maybe top 10 depends how much passing we still have to do. You don't take ball out of Staffords hands. Lions top 10 in YPC would be helpful though.

There was some success. Reggie Bush 1,000 yard year
KJ 5.1 YPC rookie year
Abdullah good YPC his rookie year

Bo and Ty Johnson good YPC last year as well.

Bevell and company with this Oline and two good running backs should have succcess running the ball in 2020. Maybe the best running year we've had in awhile. Never been top 20. They could be top 15, maybe top 10 depends how much passing we still have to do. You don't take ball out of Staffords hands. Lions top 10 in YPC would be helpful though.

2013 Reggie Bush :cheers:

How many more high round picks did u actually want them to make on OL before you were ok with taking a RB? I love how you have said you love Swift but hate that we took him. You are such a hater Hughes its unbelievable.

Stafford 3rd in yards and 6th in tds in 2013. Tons of weapon injuries

15 of 19 picks not staffords fault

Heres a fun one
Lions 1991 last time in nfc champ game
Barry 1500 yards
Lions qbs kramer/peete 16 tds 17 ints
Record 12-4

Lions threw more ints than tds and went to nfc champ game. Run game and defense would be nice

Defense allowed 16tds but forced 19 intd

We fell in Vegas odds post free agency and draft. Only 4 teams have worse odds currently.

Everyone forgets Stafford and a ton of other injuries it seems

Picking just about anyone over a second round RB would have massively improved the draft. We will be a mid tier team next year as long as Stafford is healthy, maybe even a playoff team if Okudah comes in as strong as some previous OSU CBs. I can't see how this team wins a playoff game as currently constructed, but there's always the off chance Patricia magically becomes a decent coach with all these Patriot cast offs.

Flowers Harmon Collins Coleman Shelton Amendola. I like all these players and former Patriots. Four good then amendola and shelton solid

Trufant, Walker, Okudah, Hand, Okwaras all good to solid

Tavai, Davis, Nick Williams, Harris wild cards with talent

Patricia has the guys he wants on d..no excuses

How many more high round picks did u actually want them to make on OL before you were ok with taking a RB? I love how you have said you love Swift but hate that we took him. You are such a hater Hughes its unbelievable.

I do like swift. Imagine swift with a first rounder and the 3 second rounders we pissed away on shitty running backs i told you were going to suck ass.... and did.

I do like swift. Imagine swift with a first rounder and the 3 second rounders we pissed away on shitty running backs i told you were going to suck ass.... and did.

Hop on the Swift Wagon my brotha! Go buy that jersey and sit back w a smile! We got room for you, Houghes!

Back