Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

The Great Nord Black Face

What I don?t get is why anybody cares.

How many African American Canadians are in the Hockey Hall of Fame, eh.

My guess would be 1 black member of the HHOF.

Do recall someone who played for Boston was inducted recently.

Can someone explain to why 'black face'/'brown face' is considered racist?

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/justin-trudeau-pictures-brownface-blackface-reaction-1.5290185

Down here, where we, you know, enslaved millions of black people for 300+ years, and long after the 13th Amendment with pernicious laws, it sure does not help matters for white people to smear on black pigment on their faces, always with the option to remove it.

So, the question is: why would a white person want to put on a black face? Can someone explain that to me?

EDIT: On people in blackface in regards to what makes it [entirely] racist: "...the filthy scum of white society, who have stolen from us a complexion denied them by nature, in which to make money, and pander to the corrupt taste of their white fellow citizens."

Fredrick Douglass

Last edited:
Can someone explain to why 'black face'/'brown face' is considered racist?

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/justin-trudeau-pictures-brownface-blackface-reaction-1.5290185
In addition to what Byco said, read about Minstrel Shows.
Down here, where we, you know, enslaved millions of black people for 300+ years, and long after the 13th Amendment with pernicious laws, it sure does not help matters for white people to smear on black pigment on their faces, always with the option to remove it.

So, the question is: why would a white person want to put on a black face? Can someone explain that to me?

Not sure. Maybe subtle signaling to other racists that you're "on the same team?"

In addition to what Byco said, read about Minstrel Shows.

Not sure. Maybe subtle signaling to other racists that you're "on the same team?"

I don't know, MC. It's all in extremely poor taste and in no way advances the two most important commandments. I think it's abject ignorance on display.

Why? Answer that question.

well, if you are going as someone, and they happen to be black, and you are white, it really wouldn't look good if you still had a white face.

I'm not saying it would be in good taste. Let's say after OJ killed his Nicole, someone might think it would be a good costume to dress up as OJ and have his wife with a huge cut in her throat. I wouldn't do it, but it's a good couple costume.

well, if you are going as someone, and they happen to be black, and you are white, it really wouldn't look good if you still had a white face.

I'm not saying it would be in good taste. Let's say after OJ killed his Nicole, someone might think it would be a good costume to dress up as OJ and have his wife with a huge cut in her throat. I wouldn't do it, but it's a good couple costume.

I once went to a party where the theme was ?famous dead people.? I went as Ron Goldman. I slashed up a T-shirt and walked around pretending to try to hand women a pair of sunglasses.

When people would ask me how I had the audacity to do something in such bad taste, I answered ?I didn?t think I could pull off Jon-Benet Ramsey.?

True story.

I'm amused that he's done black face so many times that he can't even recall all the times he did it. Good for him he's Canadian and a professional at apologizing.

Yeah, I see you are not all that interested in a serious discussion. See ya.

As my Jurisprudence professor once said "You have a First Amendment right to be a racist and a bigot!"

but yeah, should one do things in bad taste, one should not be surprised to learn that other people do not want to associate them.

Maybe for some, the attention they get is it's own reward.

Or maybe like Trump tweeting a picture of himself eating Taco Bell on Cinqo de Mayo and smiling that sleezy, shit eating grin of his... it sends a signal to the other racists: you think this should be funny. I think this should be funny. Who cares what the others think? Let's see how many of us there are.

I don't know, MC. It's all in extremely poor taste and in no way advances the two most important commandments. I think it's abject ignorance on display.

?Advances? Commandments? Like advancing an ideology?

I thought Commandments weren?t things that advancement would nor could be applied to, as if they were negotiable.

I thought they were set in store.

?Advances? Commandments? Like advancing an ideology?

I thought Commandments weren?t things that advancement would nor could be applied to, as if they were negotiable.

I thought they were set in store.

Ok. Let's say "observes."

Back