Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

The Hobbit

spockmaster

[flash=350,287:u6x7m3bq]http://www.youtube.com/v/G0k3kHtyoqc&hl=en&fs=1[/flash:u6x7m3bq]
</td><td valign="top">
<iframe src="http://images.proboards.com/banners/300x250_14.html" width="300" height="250" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"></iframe>
</td></tr></table>

ZOMG YES I CANT WAIT!!! Ive been keeping an eye on this for ages, Im so excited that its finally getting made after all the production problems.

seriously...we have to wait a year for this after all of the delay? damn.

[color=#FF6103 said:
Monster [/color]]seriously...we have to wait a year for this after all of the delay? damn.
and then another year for part 2. totally worth it though, just like it was for lotr.

I'm sure I'll find it entertaining, but I wonder (hope) if he at least sticks a little closer to the story with these 2 movies than he did with lotr trilogy.

The omission of Tom Bombadil and the Old Forest from The Fellowship of the Ring was almost unforgivable.

MI_Thumb said:
I'm sure I'll find it entertaining, but I wonder (hope) if he at least sticks a little closer to the story with these 2 movies than he did with lotr trilogy.

The omission of Tom Bombadil and the Old Forest from The Fellowship of the Ring was almost unforgivable.

The three films were 3000 hours long, they had to cut somewhere! ;)

tycobb420 said:
MI_Thumb said:

The three films were 3000 hours long, they had to cut somewhere! ;)

Then they should have cut all the dragged out bullshit at the end of RotK.

Yeah I can't wait for the Hobbit... I am sure it will be good... I agree though leaving Tom out was not a good idea...

Leaving Tom Bombadil out was sad but not unforgivable but leaving the scouring of the shire out was a very bad move. They left in the slow motion shenanigans with all the hugging hobbits but no scouring. It shows that while the movies were good they still missed the point.

motown1958 said:
Leaving Tom Bombadil out was sad but not unforgivable but leaving the scouring of the shire out was a very bad move. They left in the slow motion shenanigans with all the hugging hobbits but no scouring. It shows that while the movies were good they still missed the point.

I agree completely...and am geeked to see the Hobbit!

motown1958 said:

Well IMO, the Tom Bombadil parts are what cemented the 4 hobbits as a fellowship, the movie has them going from the shire, hiding from a wraith, and all of a sudden they're in Bree at the Prancing Pony.

Several other parts including the scourging of the shire, and Gimli threatening to take Eomer's head off for not agreeing that Lady Galadriel was the most beautiful woman ever.

I still feel Tom's omision from the movies was the biggest slight to the novel.

MI_Thumb said:
motown1958 said:

Well IMO, the Tom Bombadil parts are what cemented the 4 hobbits as a fellowship, the movie has them going from the shire, hiding from a wraith, and all of a sudden they're in Bree at the Prancing Pony.

Several other parts including the scourging of the shire, and Gimli threatening to take Eomer's head off for not agreeing that Lady Galadriel was the most beautiful woman ever.

I still feel Tom's omision from the movies was the biggest slight to the novel.

I dont disagree that Tom was a huge part to the story. Especially since he gave so much back story about middle earth. I did miss him in the movie seeing as he was one of my favorite characters. I can see why they cut it, however, the scouring of the shire showed that no place was untouchable even the distant and isolated shire. Them handling the problem on their own showed the growth of four hobbits that no longer had fear. It was what the tale was all about. But I didnt mind not having either of them in the theatrical version but I wish it was on the blu ray version. If I want a six hour movie I should get it. Film it all and let me decide stupid Peter Jackson.

I haven't read the Hobbit for a very long time, but I remember Tom bothering me. He was older and more powerful than Sauron, wasn't he? It was like Q in Star Trek...it always gives the story an out. Tolkien never used that out, but it there.

Red and Guilty said:
I haven't read the Hobbit for a very long time, but I remember Tom bothering me. He was older and more powerful than Sauron, wasn't he? It was like Q in Star Trek...it always gives the story an out. Tolkien never used that out, but it there.

Yes, in the Tolkien universe, Bombadil was more powerful than Sauron, but Tom was not interested in any of that stuff, he even was too powerful for the one ring to affect him, though he could make it disappear.

Also not explained in movies was Gandalf was not a man, he was a Maiar, and actually more closely related to the Balrog, than to men-folk.

On my old computer I had favorited a website that had broken down all of the characters mentioned in any of the tolkien series. It went through all of the notes that were brought to light after tolkiens death and did an entire genealogy. You could click on a character and it would talk about the parents and things that they did. It also had it broken down into a power structure going to the very beginning and showed how all of the creatures were created. I wish i could find it again if I do I will post it here.

Back