Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

The last time Detroit was 3-0

upnorth

Matthew Stafford was...

oh wait, it was almost 8 years before he was born

I was 8 and went to the Thanksgiving game in 1980 where the Lions crushed the Steelers 45-3.

I previously had finally attended my very first Lions regular season game @ the Silverdome, which was the last game of the '78 season vs the 2-13 (to become 2-14) doormat 49ers. Although the Lions won that game, they would go on to lose 14 games themselves, in the next season in '79 and wound up with the #1 draft pick for '80, being the Heisman trophy-winning Billy Sims of Oklahoma. The 49ers then went on to become a "dynasty" NFL team in the 80s, and the Lions?

well, uhhh...

...hmmm.

tongue.png

Turok said:
I previously had finally attended my very first Lions regular season game @ the Silverdome, which was the last game of the '78 season vs the 2-13 (to become 2-14) doormat 49ers. Although the Lions won that game, they would go on to lose 14 games themselves, in the next season in '79 and wound up with the #1 draft pick for '80, being the Heisman trophy-winning Billy Sims of Oklahoma. The 49ers then went on to become a "dynasty" NFL team in the 80s, and the Lions?

well, uhhh...

...hmmm.

tongue.png

it would have been interesting to see how history played out had sims not blew out his knee...or they had the medical advancements of today to actually fix it so he could have kept on playing.

fedexgooch78 said:
Turok said:

well, uhhh...

...hmmm.

tongue.png

it would have been interesting to see how history played out had sims not blew out his knee...or they had the medical advancements of today to actually fix it so he could have kept on playing.

Fortunately for us Detroit sports fans, we were lucky enough to have another "professional" football team for a brief period of time, that distracted us from the Lions' woes (and Sims' too early career-ending knee injury) being the USFL Michigan Panthers, who won the league's '83 inaugural season football championship, with the likes of QB Bobby Hebert, WR Anthony Carter, and LB John Corker.

Now THAT was an exciting team to watch, IMO.

grin.png

I was 20 in 1980 and after a 4-0 start the radio started playing songs like we were NFL champions... Let us all take a deep breath and play one game at a time....

But oh how I hate the Vikings.... This win felt good...

In honor of Billy Sims and the 1980 season:

[flash=350,287:gpgwmmk1]http://www.youtube.com/v/y0O7973Ew8A&hl=en&fs=1[/flash:gpgwmmk1]
</td><td valign="top">
<iframe src="http://images.proboards.com/banners/300x250_14.html" width="300" height="250" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"></iframe>
</td></tr></table>

[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]In honor of Billy Sims and the 1980 season:

[flash=350,287:d8sr8i7u]http://www.youtube.com/v/y0O7973Ew8A&hl=en&fs=1[/flash:d8sr8i7u]
</td><td valign="top">
<iframe src="http://images.proboards.com/banners/300x250_14.html" width="300" height="250" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"></iframe>
</td></tr></table>

OMG!!! That was fucking awesome...I have never seen that clip before

Billy was the man...ironically I think he blew his knee out against Houston a few years later

tsmith7559 said:
Billy was the man...ironically I think he blew his knee out against Houston a few years later

Yeah, and I vaguely remember Sims throwing a temper-tantrum soon after a Lions loss (or was it still within the closing minutes?!?)..lol!! just prior to his career-ending knee injury, and destroying the "refreshments" table..he was as frustrated as Sanders was at the Lions FO ineptitude, as far as stocking their OL and piss-poor protection. Lions did have a halfway-decent defense though, back then with Baker and Gay et al... FU WCF & esp the late Russ Thomas both of you are/were POS!!

[color=#006400 said:
biggunsbob[/color]]I was 20 in 1980 and after a 4-0 start the radio started playing songs like we were NFL champions... Let us all take a deep breath and play one game at a time....

But oh how I hate the Vikings.... This win felt good...

I remember that -- "Another one bites the dust" became "Another one beats our butts." That's why a 3-0 start is nice but means nothing until a playoff spot is clinched.

Turok said:
tsmith7559 said:

Yeah, and I vaguely remember Sims throwing a temper-tantrum soon after a Lions loss (or was it still within the closing minutes?!?)..lol!! just prior to his career-ending knee injury, and destroying the "refreshments" table..he was as frustrated as Sanders was at the Lions FO ineptitude, as far as stocking their OL and piss-poor protection. Lions did have a halfway-decent defense though, back then with Baker and Gay et al... FU WCF & esp the late Russ Thomas both of you are/were POS!!

If I'm not mistaken, we lost Billy Sims and someone else of significance on the same day in the Astrodome...ya I remember Billy wiping out the gatorade cups when he got hurt, he was pissed

Back