Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

The Official Day 2 Draft Thread (NO TWITTER SPOILERS)

Playoffs...Enough said with this organization.

lions-banner.jpg
the fruits of a Mayhew draft, can't wait to raise that 2014 one this year!

Given Mayhew's track record if someone defends his moves with anything more than a we'll wait and see...my homer senses start tingling.

I'll defend these moves today because both of these picks were guys I said I wanted before the pick was ever made.

Ain't got nothing to do with being a homer for me. I just got the guys I wanted, so I'm happy.

Weren't you complaining earlier about drafting a RB in rd2 because we can't block? Now you're complaining about picking up 2 guards on day 1 of the draft? Which one is it bro?

1 will play and 1 will make 3 mil on the bench. And there s a good chance we still cant run block cause we have a shit o cord, a qb that doesnt audible and potentially 3 new starters on a very very young line. So yes....we needed ab upgrade on the line. But we reached for one.

I'll defend these moves today because both of these picks were guys I said I wanted before the pick was ever made.

Ain't got nothing to do with being a homer for me. I just got the guys I wanted, so I'm happy.

Alright Ink given you undying love of Abdullah (which I think is justified) you are bestowed the rank of Marge.

What about a team like Seattle...Seattle supposedly reaches every year in the draft to get the guys they want and look at them. It's not all about "projection value" it's about grabbing the guy YOU want and the guys that fit YOUR system.

Seattle built their team through the middle round of the draft. ....they all play and produce. Ours dont.

Alright Ink given you undying love of Abdullah (which I think is justified) you are bestowed the rank of Marge.

We'll call it infatuation right now. Until he starts putting the ball in the endzone for the Lions, it ain't love yet.

But I do think he's a special player, great character guy, hard worker, and he's going to shock everyone who didn't like the pick.

And on Carter, I don't think he's going to play Safety for us. He could if Ihedigbo holds out for real.. but he's not going to. Ihedigbo wants that cheddar, and he's going to come to camp.

Carter was brought in to be the eventual replacement for Mathis. He's a big corner, at 6' and about 200 lbs., plays fast, and while he's not known for being a ballhawk, fast enough to play. He matched up well against top receivers at Stanford, and can develop into a solid corner.

I've been very high on this kid for weeks, and was hoping we could get him. Saw a lot of people had a 2nd round grade on him, some had a third round grade as well, so I think we got nice value there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tktcB0F3W8U

Everything I've read says safety across the board. Just media reports though, the coaches will decide.

Everything I've read says safety across the board. Just media reports though, the coaches will decide.

Yep, I've seen the reports. Lots of people saying he can make the transition to safety. Haven't seen one yet that says he must make the transition to safety.

I don't care if he spends a year learning from Mathis or learning from Digs to be honest. CB or S, he's still a DB and we needed some help in the secondary with Mathis aging and Digs holding out.

The one thing I hope this draft does is get us to be able to count on a good running game. So we can run the clock down, not have to count on Matt throwing as much.

If you look at the post combine numbers and player breakdowns alex carter has a lot of similar reviews to another Stanford db, Richard Sherman. Not saying they are going to be NFL comparable but coming out they were looked at similarly. IMO when it comes to dbs anymore the scheme can make our break most of these guys. Put Revis in the wrong scheme and he fails. Put nnamdi on Philly and make him play press and he failed. Our coaches showed our scheme is good for guys that could press. Plus if carter means we can get rid of Cassius Vaughn then sign me up. I don't need a bunch of picks. Give me consistency and knockdowns and he did that.

And in his whole college career didn't put up the receiving yards Ameer did in a single season (twice) rushing.

Ameer is 10 times the prospect Riddick is. Ameer put up superior numbers on a not-superior team.

Gotta convince me, Ink on this one.......the fumbles kill me!!

Been trying to read up on the kid. So far I got that he was super productive on a bad team, he's small, he fumbles too much, high character kid, will excel in a zone-blocking scheme, catches everything (no drops in 2 years), comparisons to Sproles, Westbrook and Bush, doesn't have top end speed but has burst and great vision, hard worker. Did I miss anything?

Just not feeling the pick. Will he start over Bell? Riddick to the slot? Really? Idk, man. Make me believe!!

Last edited:
Gotta convince me, Ink on this one.......the fumbles kill me!!

Been trying to read up on the kid. So far I got that he was super productive on a bad team, he's small, he fumbles too much, high character kid, will excel in a zone-blocking scheme, catches everything (no drops in 2 years), comparisons to Sproles, Westbrook and Bush, doesn't have top end speed but has burst and great vision, hard worker. Did I miss anything?

Just not feeling the pick. Will he start over Bell? Riddick to the slot? Really? Idk, man. Make me believe!!

I thought you liked abdullah prior to the draft ,Tony? No?

what i find interesting is one of my mocks had both Laken and Carter in it but Laken was my 2nd round pick lol

I just find it funny that bal and ne get guys like malcom brown and carl davis.....then we always wonder why we cant win like they do consistently. Amazing how that works out. ...isnt it?

Great great value at a position most would say we desperately need. .....nah. reach for a guard when we just traded for one and pick a back up safety.

NE is also being criticized for making a giant reach for their 2nd round pick Jordan Richards.

Fumbles seems to have gotten better the past 3 years, 4 last year and only lost 2. I can live that..

Abdullah gets up to speed quick which is huge at the next level. He killed the Wolverines in 2013 and did well in 2012. He is quick and powerful, changes directions exceptionally well, reminds me of Sproles a lot. Has reduced his fumbles every year so not to worried about that.

Love Carter. He will do well in this scheme. Doesn't get a lot of INT's but always around the ball, good tackler. Can't complain at all, should be here for a while.

3 more picks but not expecting much. Would be nice to find a gem out of the 3.

If you look at the post combine numbers and player breakdowns alex carter has a lot of similar reviews to another Stanford db, Richard Sherman. Not saying they are going to be NFL comparable but coming out they were looked at similarly. IMO when it comes to dbs anymore the scheme can make our break most of these guys. Put Revis in the wrong scheme and he fails. Put nnamdi on Philly and make him play press and he failed. Our coaches showed our scheme is good for guys that could press. Plus if carter means we can get rid of Cassius Vaughn then sign me up. I don't need a bunch of picks. Give me consistency and knockdowns and he did that.

Funniest part is how 'experts' project. I swear I read one that said Carter is not suitable for press because he has difficulty maintaining coverage, but excels in zone situations where he is able to keep everything in front of him. This is why so many were projecting him as a Safety.

No I don't trust the experts take, I'm more wait and see.... just sharing something I read last night.

I don't care a whole lot on if he plays corner or safety alongs as he plays well enough. It's not easy to find a really good CB after round 2. They happen but rarely. So if he can be productive as a S I'm fine with that.

Back