Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

The Official Michigan - MSU Score Prediction Thread

Michchamp

Alright, fellow Score Predictors, it's a Rivalry Week!

This week, as I'm sure you're all aware, our undefeated and 6th-ranked Wolverines travel up north a bit to play the equally undefeated and 8th-ranked Spartans.

This one is really tough to predict; both teams have their strengths and weaknesses, some impressive wins and some not-so-impressive ones. Neither team has played a particularly difficult schedule yet, although you could give us a slight edge overall because of our solid win at Wisconsin... most likely the best opponent either team has faced. The oracle, Jeff Sagarin, ranks MSU's SOS the 56th toughest, and ours the 42nd, which doesn't present much of a clear advantage for either team.

as a Michigan fan I just have to hope we have the right blitzes and coverage called to avoid giving up any big plays to MSU's speedy receivers. I take some solace in the fact that their offense looked hopeless against the two best defenses they faced (IU and Nebraska), and our defense is statistically better than either of those teams - both on the ground and in the air. But stats can be deceiving...

Have to hope we don't give up any big plays, and otherwise avoid any misfortune from tipped passes or bobbled snaps, and we should be okay.

The consensus line for this one is Michigan -4 with a 50 1/2 pt O/U.

I think both teams scoring in the 20's seems likely, but given the stakes and the fact that neither team is entirely a known quantity, anything is possible.

So go ahead and post your predictions, with a bit of analysis if that floats your boat, but leave the woofing and barking for other threads!

current line is UM -4 with O/U at 50

It seems that both of these teams like to run the ball, so I predict a lower scoring game.

UM 24
MSU 21

UM....27
MSU..23

I have a feeling we keep their offense in check - more than IU did - & win 30-10 or something like that, but I also have an even stronger feeling telling me I'm just being a homer, and that's way too optimistic.

I think we come out more hype than we have all year then cool off to make it a tighter game.

34-24 Michigan

I am going to take the big spread that way I am not competing against all if the tight spread predictions. So don't think that this is what I actually believe will happen.

UM 48
MSU 10

The team has to be motivated being undefeated and a chance for a huge win for Harbaugh. Revenge for last year as well. They do seem to be playing with more confidence than years past.

Still, MSU is tough and can easily win this one. Will be a classic slugfest and the team who wins the rushing yardage will again win the game.

Michigan 23 MSU 21

Last edited:
I am going to take the big spread that way I am not competing against all if the tight spread predictions. So don't think that this is what I actually believe will happen.

UM 48
MSU 10

I'm taking the Spartans moneyline - presumably I win if no one posts a score prediction with MSU winning. Kinda like bidding $1 on the Price is Right.

Cade struggles, McCarthy gets brought in but too late to matter. MSU is able to stifle the run and breaks off a couple of big plays despite being held in check most of the day.

21-16 MSU

Cade struggles, McCarthy gets brought in but too late to matter. MSU is able to stifle the run and breaks off a couple of big plays despite being held in check most of the day.

21-16 MSU

quarterbacks don't struggle against our secondary...if he throws some picks it will be to wide open corners and safeties because they're never near receivers.

I'm taking the Spartans moneyline - presumably I win if no one posts a score prediction with MSU winning. Kinda like bidding $1 on the Price is Right.

I?m pretty sure before the thread is closed for predictions another Spartan will pick MSU, so if that happened and the Spartans win I don?t know how it will be resolved.

But I?m taking Michigan money line (kind of I think) by 1, M 27-26.

I just want to know where "the woodshed" comes from. I know some dude in 1999 spouted it off, but did it mean something? Was it in reference to something? WTF? Is it an Evil Dead reference?

I'll take MSU with the -4.5

Last edited:
I?m pretty sure before the thread is closed for predictions another Spartan will pick MSU, so if that happened and the Spartans win I don?t know how it will be resolved.

But I?m taking Michigan money line (kind of I think) by 1, M 27-26.

yeah, the $1 bid on Price Is Right only works when you're the last to bid. I knew there was some risk but I didn't think it would be a uofm fan that would ruin it for me. Thanks sgg.

I just want to know where "the woodshed" comes from. I know some dude in 1999 spouted it off, but did it mean something? Was it in reference to something? WTF? Is it an Evil Dead reference?

I'll take MSU with the -4.5

presumably that's a typ-o but to be sure, it's MSU +4.5

Yep, fucked up

Now answer the question!!!

I don't know exactly. I heard about it around week 3 from the telecast and haven't heard it mentioned again until your post. As I recall, they said something about it being said by a coach back in Tucker's days as a grad assistant at MSU (Saban era).

Accordint to the internet, the old saying "take 'em behind the woodshed" meant to punish someone discreetly but I think it's evolved to mean giving someone a thorough beating.

Personally, I think our defense has to be a lot better than 121st in passing yards allowed before they make "The Woodshed" the unofficial nickname of Spartan Stadium.

Last edited:
Back