Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

The Official MICHIGAN @State Penn Score Prediction Thread

Michchamp

This week our Wolverines take on the Penn State Nittany Lions.

History. This will be the 23rd meeting between the programs; MICHIGAN leads the all-time series 14-8.

Current record. The Nittany Lions are undefeated (6-0), coming off a solid road win at Iowa last week, and ranked #7 in the country. Other than a shaky win against Pitt earlier in the season, Penn State has been good on both sides of the ball, 4th in total defense, and 28th in total offense.

Line. We are a solid underdog, althought the line has wavered a bit. . . the consensus line is currently Michigan +8 1/2, with an over/under of 47 1/2.

Congrats to bphillips4gg who came closest to the point spread (17) last week, and Rumseyhouse who came closest to the total points scored (67).

So go ahead and post your predictions with some supportive analysis if you wish, but leave the woofing and barking for other threads!

I'll go first:

sticking to my guns, predicting an upset... (my brain is saying "Ignore the numbers, ignore the odds, ignore math)

Michigan...21
PennSt.....18

changing my prediction - looks like psu is a little easier to defend than i thought.

psu 24
uofm 13

Last edited:
Michigan 27, Penn State 18.

PUNDITS: "Guess Penn State was not that good." "Harbaugh finally got a road win, but what took so long?" "Michigan made OSUs path to the conference title easier." "Will this win make a difference, since OSU is still the clear leader in the East?"

Last edited:
Their defense is pretty damn good and our offense is not. We have really struggled to run the ball against every decent defense we have faced this season. PSU probably has the best D we've faced all season, so I doubt the run game finds its stride against them.

We have all seen, over and over again, that Shea can't read a defense fast enough to be consistent. We're going to have to rely on the defense to keep this low scoring and hopefully they can force a couple turnovers to give us a short field or even get a defensive TD. I think our defense is good enough to keep us in this, but I don't have confidence the offense can get the job done.

Michigan - 13
PSU - 17

Edit: I feel like this is going to be tough going for both offenses. Feels like a race to 17.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Defense has got to perform at their best to have a chance. Havoc in the backfield consistently, and we have a good chance. Everything about this game screams a loss, but we've got to start winning these eventually.

I'll just say Michigan 21 PSU 14

Michigan 29 Psu 13 final ! Michigan defense comes alive and scores !

Little Vic says ...

MICHIGAN - 27
PSU - 24

Before the season I called this a loss and I'm not sure I am going to change my opinion. Night game at PSU just seems too much for this team and before the season, it seemed a classic trap game.

MICHIGAN - 20
PSU - 23

at least we cover

PSU has played 2 teams worth a shit so far and didn't look great beating them. I think Harbs finally gets his first big road win with Michigan. Later on it might not be as big a win when PSU has 3-4 losses.

31-24 UM

I have a question before I make my prediction. This is called the SCORE Prediction thread, but we have switched the emphasis to the MARGIN instead of the score, which makes little sense.

For example, say Michigan wins a game 45-38 and I predict 42-30. I would be off the margin by 5, but if someone else predicts 28-21 they would hit the margin exactly and therefore have a better prediction? They would be off the score by 34 and I would be off by 11. Which of us had a better feel for the way the game would go?

I think margin should only be used in case of a tie in the SCORE predictions. Or, at best, add the two together.

In the above scenario I would have:
45-42=3
38-30=8
3+8=11
7 (margin)-12= 5
11+5=16

The other guy would be:
45-28=17
38-21=17
17+17=34
7-7=0
34+0=34

Seems to me, 16 blows away 34, even if they did hit the margin right.

Or rename this the MARGIN Prediction thread.

I have a question before I make my prediction. This is called the SCORE Prediction thread, but we have switched the emphasis to the MARGIN instead of the score, which makes little sense.

For example, say Michigan wins a game 45-38 and I predict 42-30. I would be off the margin by 5, but if someone else predicts 28-21 they would hit the margin exactly and therefore have a better prediction? They would be off the score by 34 and I would be off by 11. Which of us had a better feel for the way the game would go?

I think margin should only be used in case of a tie in the SCORE predictions. Or, at best, add the two together.

45-42=3
38-30=8
3+8=11
7 (margin)-12= 5
11+5=16

The other guy would be:
45-28=17
38-21=17
17+17=34
7-7=0
34+0=34

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pa_hIvM7AiY

Watching Illinois handle Wisconsin makes me feel better about our team.

Michigan 27
Psu 20

45-42=3
38-30=8
3+8=11
7 (margin)-12= 5
11+5=16

The other guy would be:
45-28=17
38-21=17
17+17=34
7-7=0
34+0=34

I get what you're saying, and you're probably right.

I was just emphasizing margin & total points scored because I thought that was a less subjective way to determine the winner, and we've had some strange disputes this year, in one case a guy who picked Michigan to lose in a blowout later claimed he was right when we won in OT.

I get what you're saying, and you're probably right.

I was just emphasizing margin & total points scored because I thought that was a less subjective way to determine the winner, and we've had some strange disputes this year, in one case a guy who picked Michigan to lose in a blowout later claimed he was right when we won in OT.

LOL

I'll say Michigan 24-17

Btw, did Vic abdicate the Score Prediction Thread-creator throne? Good on you for picking it up.

EDIT: Why are my posts double-spacing?

Last edited:
Back