Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

The Official MICHIGAN vs Iowa Score Prediction Thread

TheVictors

Congratulations to Little Lost for his score prediction in the Maryland game and for his postgame frustrations around the fact that Maryland scored at all! He is now the second Son of a Poster to best this group and take the pot!

Well, on to Iowa ….

For some reason, the notion of playing Iowa …in Iowa City and AT NIGHT seems to strike fear in the hearts of the MICHIGAN fan base. Perhaps it’s the psychological warfare and oft-freshly painted Pink Locker-room or perhaps it’s just a case of PTSD stemming from the Rich Rod/Hoke era still plaguing the fans or perhaps it’s because there have been some odd games over the years at Kinnick and win or lose, quite a few nail biters.

In any case, while the media hyping the game are quick to point out that Iowa has won “4 of the last 5” games against MICHIGAN, they rarely mention the all-time record in the Conference rivalry where MICHIGAN maintains a (41-14-4) all-time mark. And while “4 of 5” gets clicks, Iowa is really (7-12-1) over the past twenty games and like other Big Ten foes, took advantage of the past decade of mediocrity in Ann Arbor.

Iowa comes into the game with a (5-4, 3-3) record on the year and riding a 2-game losing streak to the only ranked teams they have played. Averaging 27ppg, the Hawkeyes have managed only 11ppg in the two recent losses, including a blowout in Happy Valley last week, 41-14, and in the win column, celebrate a 14-7 victory over NJSU.

During the summer, many viewed this game as a classic TRAP, considering it was on the road, at night and against the defending BigTen West Champions (playing neither MICHIGAN, nor osu in 2015 it should be noted). But including the Rose Bowl blowout loss to Stanford, the mighty Hawkeyes are a mortal (5-5) since, and may have had its will broken a bit in Pasadena.

Las Vegas certainly likes MICHIGAN in this game, with the Wolverines coming in as the favorite at MICHIGAN -21.5 and an Over/Under of 51 Total Points (down from 56.5). Riding a 10-game win streak going back to the Bowl game, MICHIGAN is averaging 48ppg with only one really close game all year.

So post your score predictions with some supportive analysis if you wish, but leave the woofing and barking for other threads ….

hqdefault.jpg

Last edited:
This game will look nearly identical to the MSU game. The lack of road games hits Michigan hard once again and gives us some more valuable experience for November 26th. In East Lansing, the crowd was probably about 25% Maize and Blue. In Iowa, it'll be 99% Hawkeye in a very tough place to play. Throw out the records, Iowa will not go easily. They're desperate for wins and we're coasting to 11-0 before the fuckeyes.

On the bright side, the starters play 4 full quarters again.

Michigan 31
Iowa 21

Iowa sucks. They gave up 505 yards and 35 points to Purdue. Yes, I said Purdue. Name one facet of the game where Iowa is good? That's right, you can't.

Michigan - 48
Iowa - 6

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Michigan's offense appears to be taking it up a level. Speight has improved throughout the season much like Rudock did last year. As long as the defense shows up, Michigan should win without much incident honestly.

Avoid the costly road mistakes (turnovers, penalties etc). Michigan 35 Iowa 10

Part of the concern about this game when looking at the 2016 schedule was playing in Iowa City, at night, in November and the possibility for cold and/or adverse weather conditions. That won't be the case - the forecast is mild.

Another concern was playing AT the defending BigTen West Champs. At 5-4 Iowa is not the team most expected during pre-season predictions and is coming off back to back losses against decent teams. Not to downplay the intensity and crowd, which will certainly be there, the game would be very different if Iowa were undefeated as it was this time last year.

The final worry seems to be based on "losing 4 of 5" or how the Rich Rod and Hoke teams fared vs the Hawkeyes. MICHIGAN hasn't played Iowa since 2013 and that was a painful loss in Iowa City. I don't see this coaching staff allowing a letdown or not having the team focused - if nothing else - on being 1-4 and 0-1 vs Iowa.

Road game at night warrants a slightly more conservative offense but the run game will set up the deep ball and the crowd will be more or less neutralized by the 3rd quarter. In 1902, MICHIGAN beat Iowa 107-0 but that game was in Ann Arbor, so ....

MICHIGAN - 31
Hawkeyes - 12

Little Vic says ...

MICHIGAN - 31
Hawkeyes - 3

(totally without even talking about the game or seeing my prediction)

Last edited:
UM 42
Iowa 13

L.L. will be back, he has to think about.

After some thought it's

60 UM
13 Iowa....he's hoping

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I had a premonition of 17-13 Iowa Friday night but did not want to share it. Take my word.

Back