Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

The ongoing evolution of Matthew Boyd?s arsenal

sggatecl

Detroit City FC
Detroit Lions
Detroit Tigers
Detroit Pistons
Detroit Red Wings
Michigan Wolverines
As a well known shill for The Athletic, I highly recommend giving them a shot if you have the money. Blows ESPN/Fox/etc out of the water in quality. I don't often share their articles because of the paywall but I like to throw the board a juicy bone once in a while when I see something I think you'd all enjoy. Hope you're all having a good off season. :cheers:

The ongoing evolution of Matthew Boyd?s arsenal/

The last time we saw Matthew Boyd, he was wheeling his bags out of the clubhouse on the South Side of Chicago, the end of the 2019 season but far from a stopping point.

He was looking forward to jetting back to Seattle, hanging out on the couch with his wife, his daughter and a newborn son. And like Matthew Boyd so often does, he had big plans. They centered on his foundation, Kingdom Home. This offseason, he took Tigers teammate Spencer Turnbull with him on a trip to Uganda and showed charitable investors how their operation has grown so much in so little time. Boyd?s plans also centered on his workouts and his recovery, always turning the dial forward. Boyd talked of putting an infrared sauna in his garage and installing a whole-house water filtration system, anything to get an edge. At the Athletic Training Institute in Bellevue, Wash., he worked with former Seattle Sounder Ben Dragavon, focusing on things like glute activation and how to translate that to his pitching delivery.

Boyd also talked about his pitch repertoire, which for him, has always been a fascinating, ever-changing study.

?If I can get my strength up and make (the curveball) a better pitch, I like to think that I could be someone different showing up in spring training, a better version of myself,? he said in September, a pretty bold statement by Boyd standards.

Now here he is, at an event for season-ticket holders in Toledo, Ohio, home of the Tigers? Triple-A affiliate. He?s sitting at a round table. His skin is glowing. Boyd looks happy and healthy as ever. It makes you wonder if he can actually be better, too.

He says he loved his offseason, just getting to be a dad. He?s a fascinating person who can talk about many subjects. But because he is a baseball player, it?s hard to avoid the thing that was a huge part of his past four months. Reshaping his curveball, maybe even his changeup, diving deeper into his journey toward becoming a complete pitcher.

This offseason, Boyd put in work at Driveline, a data-driven baseball training facility. He also bought his own Edgertronic camera, able to watch himself and his release in slow-motion. Whether it was playing catch or tinkering with a curveball, Boyd sought to understand every little detail that shapes every single pitch.

He arrived at this juncture through a varying set of circumstances. He had a tremendous start to the year and a rough, rough finish. His strikeout rate jumped to among the game?s very best, but he allowed more home runs (39) than any pitcher in baseball.

Over the past two seasons, Boyd?s 66 homers allowed trails only Dylan Bundy?s 70 for the most in the game (Justin Verlander is actually third, so it?s not the worst company).

Boyd also doubled down on the slider that brought him success in 2018, throwing the pitch 36.2 percent of the time, the fifth-highest slider usage of any qualifying pitcher.

The deep, sweeping pitch was dominant. Opposing batters hit only .192 against it. But looking back now, perhaps that success came with some unintended consequences.

?I fell in love with maybe a few pitches, if you will,? Boyd said in Toledo. ?That might have made me a little more predictable, given the hitter a little more of a chance because I was predictable. I don?t know.?

Pardon all the numbers, but pitching gets scientific. That stats are unbiased. Boyd threw his curveball, changeup and sinker a combined 14 percent of the time in 2019, down from 34.9 percent the year before. He threw his fastball almost 50 percent of the time.

chart-1024x576.jpeg

Boyd was, in essence, a two-pitch pitcher last season. That allowed opposing batters to sit on fastballs. They hit .269 against the pitch, 54 points higher than the previous season, with 25 home runs.

FanGraphs has metrics that measure how well pitches perform. Boyd?s fastball was ranked as the 11th worst in the game. There was some bad luck involved ? opponents? expected slugging percentage against the fastball was .458, but the actual slugging percentage was .533 ? and it?s not that Boyd?s fastball was actually bad.

It?s that his fastball-slider combo simply became too predictable.

?You could say that,? Boyd said last week, now at a preseason news conference in Detroit. ?I think if you shift that perspective a little more and think that, ?I have four pitches that are all of good quality, and I need to use them. What if I use them? If I can be a four-pitch pitcher, if I continue to be better, what will happen?? It?s a whole new realm that I?ve put myself in. ? It?s all a balancing act, figuring out what works for you and what doesn?t.?

At that same news conference, Boyd was asked if he talked with the Tigers about a contract extension this offseason. He and the team avoided arbitration by agreeing to a $5.3 million deal this winter.

?No, we haven?t,? Boyd said of extension talks. ?But that?d be cool; that?d be something fun. But another thing that?s out of my control. I?m so grateful to wear the Olde English D. I want to win a championship here. We all want to win a championship here.?

That in itself is a marker of how things have changed. Only three years ago, Boyd had a 5.27 ERA, still trying to find his way in the big leagues. Now he?s being talked about as either a franchise-type pitcher or a valuable trade commodity.

Speaking of change: Back in 2017, Boyd threw a curveball 18.1 percent of the time. He threw his slider only 11.6 percent of the time. But as most things are with Boyd, it?s a little more complicated.

The slider Boyd threw then was a different pitch than what he throws now. With a little tilt of the wrist and an intentional decrease in velocity, Boyd developed the slider he threw in 2018 and 2019 ? one that has more depth and less horizontal bite. It almost behaves like a traditional curveball.

For reference: In 2017, Boyd?s curveball dropped an average of 48.4 inches vertically. The new incarnation of his slider drops 46 inches.

Part of the problem, then, in developing a better curveball is designing one that isn?t too similar to the slider. Last season, Boyd?s curveball resembled more of a 12-6 pitch than in the past, with 61 inches of drop. But sometimes that can look too obvious out of the hand ? Boyd threw only 123 curveballs, but batters hit a crazy .500 against them.

This offseason in Seattle, Boyd was toying with his grip, trying to increase his spin and get even more vertical break on the curveball.

?I have a pitch that I know how to throw well,? Boyd said. ?But now it needs to translate. And that?s a whole other step in itself, and that is what a game situation is for. It?s also understanding, ?OK, I have this pitch now. How do I want to use it?? For me, I don?t want to use it any more. But the eight times I throw it a game, I want it to be a great pitch.?

Boyd?s changeup has looked similar throughout his career, and it was effective down the stretch last season. He says he messed with the changeup, too, understanding how and why it moves, trying to make it more precise. But it?s more of a change-of-pace pitch than a strikeout tool.

Boyd?s next step to really looking like a true ace, an All-Star pitcher capable of dominating through the whole season, is devising a third punchout pitch. You almost wonder if something like a hard, biting cutter might be the next project.

But come spring training next month, it sounds like we will see Boyd trying to perfect an altered curveball and changeup.

We don?t quite know what these pitches will look like. But we do know they are important in the ongoing evolution of Matthew Boyd.

seems like a pretty smart guy. Maybe he should be the head of the Tigers analytics department

As a well known shill for The Athletic, I highly recommend giving them a shot if you have the money. Blows ESPN/Fox/etc out of the water in quality. I don't often share their articles because of the paywall but I like to throw the board a juicy bone once in a while when I see something I think you'd all enjoy. Hope you're all having a good off season. :cheers:

Thank you for sharing. :tup:

If he pitches like he did after the all star break he might get released.

Back