Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

The USPS is good and necessary

Amazon only exists due to how insanely cheap you can send a book through the USPS.

Amazon only exists due to how insanely cheap you can send a book through the USPS.

then let Amazon fail. The USPS loses billions of dollars and rising every year. Through May of 2019, it had lost $5.2B, which was $2B more than the $3.2B loss they had budgeted - yes, they budget to lose money every year. By October 2019, the loss was $8.8B, double the loss from the prior year. If you factor in the losses subsidized by tax payers, it won't be hard for UPS, FedEx, DHL or any number of private sector logistics companies to save taxpayers money.

Last edited:
And you still believe them?

I don't think the $.12 number still applies - inflation and all, but I absolutely believe including losses subsidized by the taxpayer, UPS and several other companies can deliver mail and packages cheaper than the USPS.

Last edited:
I don't think the $.12 number still applies - inflation and all, but I absolutely believe including losses, UPS and several other companies can deliver mail and packages cheaper than the USPS.
No, I mean, maybe you'd believe that in the 80s, but by now you should see through that line as a lowball bid they knew they'd never have to deliver on.

yes, cheaper. In the mid 80s, 9 years before Amazon was founded, when stamps were $.22 or $.25, UPS said they could deliver first class mail profitably for $.12 a piece.

they said that?

oh, well then...

It's weird how they charge so much more than that. Usually when our office pays to send a letter UPS (2-day or 3-day), i.e. when it would get there with a first class stamp (COST: $0.55), it's around $10-$12 UPS.

$10 is only a 1,718% markup over the post office cost of sending a letter. WAHT A GREAT FUCKIN' DEAL. Get rid of the post office. I can't wait to spend an extra $12 per envelop to mail each of my monthly bills, and $12 to mail a letter to Grandpa Michchamp.

No, I mean, maybe you'd believe that in the 80s, but by now you should see through that line as a lowball bid they knew they'd never have to deliver on.

maybe, but I don't really care about that so much. What matters is the real cost of postage for the USPS including government subsidies. And using that number, I absolutely believe UPS and a number of logistics companies can deliver mail cheaper than the USPS.

maybe, but I don't really care about that so much. What matters is the real cost of postage for the USPS including government subsidies. And using that number, I absolutely believe UPS and a number of logistics companies can deliver mail cheaper than the USPS.
Figures. You don't care if you believe it; you just say it.

If you believe that, why even have a government? For profit corporations should own and run everything.

Last edited by a moderator:
they said that?

oh, well then...

It's weird how they charge so much more than that. Usually when our office pays to send a letter UPS (2-day or 3-day), i.e. when it would get there with a first class stamp (COST: $0.55), it's around $10-$12 UPS.

$10 is only a 1,718% markup over the post office cost of sending a letter. WAHT A GREAT FUCKIN' DEAL. Get rid of the post office. I can't wait to spend an extra $12 per envelop to mail each of my monthly bills, and $12 to mail a letter to Grandpa Michchamp.

hmmm, I wonder if that could have something to do with volume or distances or the fact that the taxpayer subsidizes that letter sent through the USPS but not the one sent via UPS or FedEx. The direct cost to the consumer for a stamp is $.55 to send a letter next door or across the country, but the cost to the USPS to get that letter to it's final destination is much different, as evidenced by the fact that they lose billions of dollars and growing every year. But you're OK with poor people subsidizing your letters to Grandpa Michchamp, obviously you're OK with rich people subsidizing your letters, but clearly you're also OK with poorer taxpayers subsidizing it too.

Last edited:
Figures. You don't care if you believe it; you just say it.

figures you wouldn't get it - what I don't care about is a 40 year old estimate. What I do care about is the true cost of the USPS, not just the price of a stamp.

hmmm, I wonder if that could have something to do with volume or distances. The direct cost to the consumer for a stamp is $.55 to send a letter next door or across the country, but the cost to the USPS to get that letter to it's final destination is much different, as evidenced by the fact that they lose billions of dollars and growing every year. But you're OK with poor people subsidizing your letters to Grandpa Michchamp, obviously you're OK with rich people subsidizing your letters, but clearly you're also OK with poor taxpayers subsidizing it too.

LOL okay, it you're so sure, give us the numbers.

how much does it cost the USPS to send a letter across the country?

because everything I've read says they've still managed to operate within their budget, even as squeezed as it is, and despite being sandbagged by a bullshit 2006 congressional rule that requires the USPS to fund their entire pension obligations up front.

and yeah, I'm fine with poor taxpayers funding my letterS. rich taxpayers do too, and I fund theirs as well. That's how it works, Einstein.

Back