Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

There is Nothing like Basking in the Glory of Michigan win at the Shoe

Having witnessed with glee an FSU drubbing of OSU in the Shoe in 1981, and winning $20 from a feral OSU fan in the process, I can only imagine the sensation of witnessing a Michigan victory in person in Columbus.

Great stuff from everyone. All those game Byco mentioned I have watch the highlights probably 2 or 3 times a year. I do think things would have been a tad different for Jim if the 2016 spot game was ref correctly because Jt was so short of the line. Sadly it took another five seasons before we got the Osu monkey off our back. I really would like to see the Wolverines rip off 4 or 5 game winning streak against the Buckeyes. I mean Osu fans are melting down right now wanting to fire a 45-5 coach, and Michigan fans deserve a winning streak. Hopefully we can keep it going at home next season.

Last edited:
Yep.

1976 -- 22-0 M and it's not that close. I broke a joist in the Rumsey House basement after a Lytle TD.
1978 -- Banged-up Leach guts out a 14-3 win, throws TD passes to Rodney Feaster and Roosevelt Smith.
1980 -- 9-3 M OSU final drive dies in M territory. Schliester lost thousands betting on himself
1986 -- 26-24 Harbaugh predicts a win, Bo goes ballistic. OSU missed FG preserved the prediction
1988 -- M 34, OSU, 31 (Cooper years begin)
1990 -- M 16, OSU 13
1992 -- 13-13 "one of greatest wins ever" OSU AD Gordon Gee
1996 -- 13-9, spoiled OSU undefeated record.
2000 -- 38-26 (Cooper fired after season)
2022 -- The Game of The Games.

Didn't even hit the 2003 100th Anniversary! 35-21 with the Braylon and Perry Show torching OSU's defense.

Last edited:
Great stuff from everyone. All those game Byco mentioned I have watch the highlights probably 2 or 3 times a year. I do think things would have been a tad different for Jim if the 2016 spot game was ref correctly because Jt was so short of the line. Sadly it took another five seasons before we got the Osu monkey off our back. I really would like to see the Wolverines rip off 4 or 5 game winning streak against the Buckeyes. I mean Osu fans are melting down right now wanting to fire a 45-5 coach, and Michigan fans deserve a winning streak. Hopefully we can keep it going at home next season.

The 2016 game never should have come down to a spot. The pick 6; the failure to stop OSU in the waning minutes of regulation were more damaging than the questionable spot.

The 2016 game never should have come down to a spot. The pick 6; the failure to stop OSU in the waning minutes of regulation were more damaging than the questionable spot.

it wasn't just the failed spot; there were questionable non-calls all day long.

I'm Thinking mainly of a 3rd and long conversion that wasn't, late in the game, where their DB just straight out mugged Darboh right in front of the ref and... nothing happened.

I'm still not over that one; I can get over some of the other monkey business over the years and say "Yeah, we should have played better" but NOT 2016.

I was worried we'd see a lot more of that kind of thing Saturday, but the game was called fair, in my opinion. Or fairer. Kinda surprised they didn't toss the OSU player for the head butt right in front of the ref, but, whatever.

But back to basking in glory...

I love watching the highlights from this one.

I still don't know what my favorite play was...

CJ's first touchdown? Or second?

Or one of Edwards' long TD runs? Those were the kind of runs we gave up to them (but not as long) in '01, '06, and '07... where you see the RB make it through the LOS and then get that fear because you don't see any LBs on your screen and the safeties are out of position... yikes. Glad OSU fans got to cope with that.

I also felt like that in 2018, when they'd catch these crossing routes in space and get 30 yards a pop easily. So much agony...

OSU fans still have a couple more brutal losses to suffer through before I'll feel bad for them.

Whoops! My bad!

I liked that one home upset in the early 90's when they ran their mouths a lot and got beat 28-0.

Looks like that was 1993. They were 9-0-1 and had an outside shot at a national title before we clobbered them in Ann Arbor, and they ended up in the Holiday Bowl. Finished with only that one loss

that was the first of "four 4 loss seasons in a row" that ended with our national championship in 1997.

I expect that after the losing The Game for the 3rd straight time next year, they will fire Day on the field in the Big House and not let him on the team bus for the ride back to Columbus. Hopefully he can bum a ride back to Cbus from some Michigan fan.

I expect that after the losing The Game for the 3rd straight time next year, they will fire Day on the field in the Big House and not let him on the team bus for the ride back to Columbus. Hopefully he can bum a ride back to Cbus from some Michigan fan.

I actually feel kinda bad for Day. Not that I want him to win one... I hope he goes 1-10 against us... but he seems like he's paying the price for his predecessor's evildoing.

yeah, his "drop 100 on Michigan" comment was dumb, but he said it privately & it got leaked to the press. Not like he was openly talking shit.

Was it earlier this year he publicly stood up for one of his players struggling with mental health issues and said his own father committed suicide? Or was that last season? Either way, showed he's like the first OSU coach in a long time (maybe Fickell)... first "multi-year" coach since Cooper to be an actual human being, not just a "mindless Id" trying to win football games.

I think it is flat out hilarious that the 2018 game was the deciding factor in Zach Harrison's recruitment and he chose osu over Michigan only to end up 1-2 in the game.

it wasn't just the failed spot; there were questionable non-calls all day long.

I'm Thinking mainly of a 3rd and long conversion that wasn't, late in the game, where their DB just straight out mugged Darboh right in front of the ref and... nothing happened.

I also recall Samuel running 99 yards laterally for a 9-yard gain that set up The Spot.

I'm still not over that one; I can get over some of the other monkey business over the years and say "Yeah, we should have played better" but NOT 2016.

1972 and 1974 still gall me: In 1972 M had two separate first and goals on the OSU one and converted neither one. Bo was not going to kick a field goal to earn the Rose Bowl. In 1974, Lantry made the winning FG with seconds on the clock and the refs called it NG. Bo received letters from OSU fans sitting in the closed end of the Shoe who said that the kick was good.

I was worried we'd see a lot more of that kind of thing Saturday, but the game was called fair, in my opinion. Or fairer. Kinda surprised they didn't toss the OSU player for the head butt right in front of the ref, but, whatever.

A-maize-ing how a fairly called game evens the field, even in Ohio.

A-maize-ing how a fairly called game evens the field, even in Ohio.

It really does. I imagine getting a couple blatant calls - or no calls as the case may be - let's one team know they can play more aggressively, leaves the other second guessing themselves each play.

Back