Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Thinking about MSU

mgeezer said:
On the other hand, contrary to some Michigan fans, I see no evidence that MSU is a consistently dirty team, or that their coaches coach dirty. They got carried away in this rivalry game, but I see no evidence that this is an MSU proclivity. If you think it is provide evidence.
After the game: <blockquote>Defensive coordinator Pat Narduzzi said the Spartans were trying to play "60 minutes of unnecessary roughness. I'm just happy it didn't get called on every snap."</blockquote>Link:http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2011110170443

Dantonio on hits to Denard Robinson: <blockquote>"I don't know about the flags. I'm not talking about that. I just know that you'd better have a plan going in to be able to control those quarterback runs.</blockquote>http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2011110190432

I believe their coaches encouraged it. they wanted to knock Denard out of the game by any means necessary, and rattle our OL.

They didn't get called for a single penalty against UW (which I find hard to believe), but then again after all their tough talk in the post Mich-game presser, I'm sure the Big Ten made it clear they weren't going to tolerate that shit every week. they were on their best behavior against UW, contrary to their nature.

Can't wait for next year.

Well, this conversation has already went on for 1.5 weeks. Red & Guilty provided plenty of proof that this is not an isolated incident in the other thread(s.)

We do not know if there were messages sent behind the scenes by DB or BH on this situation.

I thought it was fairly lame the way Ghoulston was suspended...but I'm not going to spend too much time on it. I'm over it, but I do hope that the players and coaches are not over it. Obviously, they need to concentrate on the teams left on the schedule, but hopefully they remember this for next year.

also, Geezer: note that Dantonio/MSU never suspended Gholston. The suspension came from the Big Ten.

MSU had until last Wednesday to reach a decision regarding him; there were no media reports regarding what MSU communicated to the Big Ten, but on Thursday the Big Ten announced a one game suspension.

So, you have the coaching staff at MSU either being coy regarding their feelings on dirty play, or outright endorsing it during the post game conference, coupled with a complete lack of action in terms of suspension. The message is loud and clear.

Dantonio is from the Jim Tressel win-at-all-costs school of coaching.

MichChamp02 said:
also, Geezer: note that Dantonio/MSU never suspended Gholston. The suspension came from the Big Ten.

MSU had until last Wednesday to reach a decision regarding him; there were no media reports regarding what MSU communicated to the Big Ten, but on Thursday the Big Ten announced a one game suspension.

So, you have the coaching staff at MSU either being coy regarding their feelings on dirty play, or outright endorsing it during the post game conference, coupled with a complete lack of action in terms of suspension. The message is loud and clear.

Dantonio is from the Jim Tressel win-at-all-costs school of coaching.

Actually, not to belabor this point, but there was a media announcement made by the MSU AD after they completed this 'investigation.' Mark Hollis, MSU AD, came out and said something to the effect that their investigation was to find out what aggravated the situation and not what Ghoulston did. I took this as even the AD defending all of Ghoulston's actions saying that his actions were provoked. Everyone knows that there is absolutely no excuse for ever throwing a punch, verbally or physically provoked, no excuse at all. I'd like to hear what Mark thinks provoked Ghoulston to twist Denard's neck. The AD acknowledged the actions and still didn't suspend the player, rather just came out and said, "yeah, he did it, but those actions were provoked...so they're ok."

Back