Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Thoughts on Patterson

Michchamp

I know it's only one game, and was a tough road game to boot, but I really wasn't impressed.

It's one thing to not live up to the hype, but I really don't see what he brings to the table, period, beyond what Speight, Peters, McCaffrey, etc. would be doing.

taking him as a grad transfer, naming him the starting QB before the first snap, as opposed to Harbaugh's usual manner of not naming one... start to look like desperation, rather than planning.

I was hoping he'd stay on the bench and they'd stick with McCaffrey yesterday.

For all the talk about him being a "playmaker" he didn't make any plays. And when he tried to, he either lost yardage, like that huge sack that took us out of FG range, or he turned it over.

I agree but it is what it is . For some reason Jim wants to have a quarterback controversy every season so he keeps bringing guys in instead of developing the guys he recruits .I do not understand it. Also last night why did we have to wait until late in the game to see Evans more ? I just don't understand the offense I don't understand keep bringing in guys like Jim McElwain and Pep Hamilton. Who was calling the plays that 2 minute offense was abysmal who huddles in a 2-minute offense. Jim should take a lot of heat this week and I hope he does because his team was ill-prepared last night.

Last edited:
Patterson made a nice throw on the run to the right that got the ball inside the 5 and lead to THE touchdown. But then he just fricken dropped the ball on the last play of the game for Michigan. The sacks were on the poor play of the O line and the failure of the backs to pick up blocks. Patterson does need to learn when to throw the ball away. The team was poorly prepared for this game. Jim should spend more time getting the team prepared rather than fun trips.

Guys were in the backfield constantly. He had no time to survey the field. When he did have time, he threw strikes. His lone long ball was a completion to Collins. He also has no problem hitting the open receiver when on the run. Something our previous 2 qbs had trouble doing. I DO NOT miss throws 10 feet over the heads of receivers or lasers in the dirt when a guy is wide open. Gentry disappointed me on that non-td pass(the one where we settled for a non-feild goal). Jake Butt makes that catch. Oh and one more thing, Jon Runyan Jr. single handedly almost killed this guy.

I honestly did not ever think our oline could be this bad, guys. I really didnt. Yesterday was bad and unexpected for a 4th year Harbaugh team. You finally get the quarterback and he simply cant be protected. The whole game plan goes out the window. There was no Plan B and that is, also, just as disappointing.

I know it's only one game, and was a tough road game to boot, but I really wasn't impressed.

It's one thing to not live up to the hype, but I really don't see what he brings to the table, period, beyond what Speight, Peters, McCaffrey, etc. would be doing.

taking him as a grad transfer, naming him the starting QB before the first snap, as opposed to Harbaugh's usual manner of not naming one... start to look like desperation, rather than planning.

I was hoping he'd stay on the bench and they'd stick with McCaffrey yesterday.

He isn't a grad transfer. He is a regular transfer that would've had to sit a year, except his prior coach and team cheated and lied to him, so he was granted immediate eligibility.

The way I see it, Harbaugh probably thinks he is better.

I agree but it is what it is . For some reason Jim wants to have a quarterback controversy every season so he keeps bringing guys in instead of developing the guys he recruits .I do not understand it. Also last night why did we have to wait until late in the game to see Evans more ? I just don't understand the offense I don't understand keep bringing in guys like Jim McElwain and Pep Hamilton. Who was calling the plays that 2 minute offense was abysmal who huddles in a 2-minute offense. Jim should take a lot of heat this week and I hope he does because his team was ill-prepared last night.

Under 2 minutes, if a guy goes out of bounds, you huddle. If there is an incomplete pass or any other clock stoppage, you huddle. You don't throw the ball 4 yards to the middle of the field. That was irritating me.

The team mismanaged the clock from the time there was 12 minutes to go until the end of the game

That being said, they had a chance to drive down and tie the game with 2:00 on the clock. Yes, that 2 minute drill was horrible. A lot of it was because Patterson had no time back there.

Patterson made a nice throw on the run to the right that got the ball inside the 5 and lead to THE touchdown. But then he just fricken dropped the ball on the last play of the game for Michigan. The sacks were on the poor play of the O line and the failure of the backs to pick up blocks. Patterson does need to learn when to throw the ball away. The team was poorly prepared for this game. Jim should spend more time getting the team prepared rather than fun trips.

Yep, a couple of plays on the last couple of drives, including the very last play, Patterson would've been better off winging the ball out of bounds instead of trying to make a play.

Guys were in the backfield constantly. He had no time to survey the field. When he did have time, he threw strikes. His lone long ball was a completion to Collins. He also has no problem hitting the open receiver when on the run. Something our previous 2 qbs had trouble doing. I DO NOT miss throws 10 feet over the heads of receivers or lasers in the dirt when a guy is wide open. Gentry disappointed me on that non-td pass(the one where we settled for a non-feild goal). Jake Butt makes that catch. Oh and one more thing, Jon Runyan Jr. single handedly almost killed this guy.

I honestly did not ever think our oline could be this bad, guys. I really didnt. Yesterday was bad and unexpected for a 4th year Harbaugh team. You finally get the quarterback and he simply cant be protected. The whole game plan goes out the window. There was no Plan B and that is, also, just as disappointing.

Well, we were told that ND had a really good d-line and a good defense.

Is there anything impressive about a loss?

Albeit on the road against a ranked opponent...you want your team to win these kinds of games. These are the games champions win. We want our team to be champions.

I have seen Michigan teams through my years have disappointing early season losses to Notre Dame and then go on to have pretty good seasons...so we'll see.

Obviously the team has to run the table from here out and win the CCG to have any chance of making the NC playoff.

Albeit on the road against a ranked opponent...you want your team to win these kinds of games. These are the games champions win. We want our team to be champions.

I have seen Michigan teams through my years have disappointing early season losses to Notre Dame and then go on to have pretty good seasons...so we'll see.

Obviously the team has to run the table from here out and win the CCG to have any chance of making the NC playoff.

At this point, I would be satisfied with them just winning the conference title. Anything else just seems like wishful thinking unless they have a come to Jesus moment, which they clearly didn't last night despite the game's location.

He isn't a grad transfer. He is a regular transfer that would've had to sit a year, except his prior coach and team cheated and lied to him, so he was granted immediate eligibility.

The way I see it, Harbaugh probably thinks he is better.

Okay,
I just misspoke. I know he's not a grad transfer.

I've now gone through the 5 stages of grief. I'm all better.

this team probably needed an ass-kicking and they got one. Better now than later, since the margin of error to make the Big Ten championship is razor thin.

Now we see how they respond...

FWIW, I still think the stupid "play-call by committee" thing limits our potential
upside. I really can't fathom why Harbaugh doesn't just name a fucking OC and hand him the final say on playcalling. But I guess that isn't going to change, so whatever....

Harbaugh said about 2 weeks ago that he is going to be calling the plays.

I don't know if that is really true, but he said it.

Are you guys serious? Patterson looked fine based on him running for his life on every passing play. He was 20/30 for 230 yards. The qb's we had last year completed 20 passes fucking 1 time the whole season. Peters was 20/44 in the bowl game against SC. Every pass he completed was right on the money and I recall at least 2 incompletions that probably should have been caught. He is a major upgrade from what we had last year. The offense prob. scores 0 points in that game if we had last years qb's. Sure, he made a few mistakes, but I didn't expect him to be flawless in his first game with a new team and a new offense.

Last edited:
Are you guys serious? Patterson looked fine based on him running for his life on every passing play. He was 20/30 for 230 yards. The qb's we had last year completed 20 passes fucking 1 time the whole season. Peters was 20/44 in the bowl game against SC. Every pass he completed was right on the money and I recall at least 2 incompletions that probably should have been caught. He is a major upgrade from what we had last year. The offense prob. scores 0 points in that game if we had last years qb's. Sure, he made a few mistakes, but I didn't expect him to be flawless in his first game with a new team and a new offense.

see prior post; 5-stages-of-grief... over it now.

Defense doesn't play like a sieve on the 1st two drives, and it's a different ballgame.

Back