Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

thoughts on UM-MSU

By the way that Gallon and Darquez matchup is as good as it gets.

from what I've seen, Gallon is dangerous when DG extends plays. he's small and quick and can find space when DG has time. if MSU can put a lot of pressure on DG then Gallons effectiveness will be limited. I'm just concerned with DG running the ball, we've done well against running QB's in the past, the only one that's really given us trouble in the last few years has been Braxton.

from what I've seen, Gallon is dangerous when DG extends plays. he's small and quick and can find space when DG has time. if MSU can put a lot of pressure on DG then Gallons effectiveness will be limited. I'm just concerned with DG running the ball, we've done well against running QB's in the past, the only one that's really given us trouble in the last few years has been Braxton.

Hopefully Msu can frustrate Gallon with the physical play. DG seems to thrive in those broken plays. I just hope Bullough and Allen can contain him.

i actually think Gallon is a good receiver overall. like his number-sake, Desmond Howard, he won't be much of a pro WR, but in college he's great. runs good routes, is hard to tackle, and due to his small size, is nimble.

I've been kinda disappointed with our passing when protection breaks down this season. Gardner has extended plays mostly with his legs, and when he has thrown on the run, or under pressure, has made some dumb mistakes.

bottom line is, it doesn't matter; if you can pressure Gardner consistently, you'll keep us from moving the ball and maybe get turnovers.

if our coaches try to balance the running game by giving Toussaint lots of carries from stupid formations, our offense isn't going to beat you even if Gardner has 100 yards on the ground.

I personally think Michigan is in big trouble this weekend.. Hope I wrong..

Eh...

Opp............offensive rank
WMU............113th
USF..............121st
YSU..............FCS
ND................81st
Iowa.............74th
IU.................10th
PU..............120th
Ill.................73rd

avg. ~ 85th (excluding YSU which is 31st in the FCS)

ours:
CMU..............106th
ND..................81st
Akron............105th
UConn...........116th
Minn..............107th
PennSt............56th
IU..................10th

avg. ~ 83

our rank is 45th
MSU's is 87th.

My point doesn't have anything to do with Michigan's defense, or how the two relate. I'm just saying Michigan shouldn't completely give up on having a coherent gameplan because of how MSU has done against garbage competition.

Eh...

WMU............113th
USF..............121st
YSU..............FCS
ND................81st
Iowa.............74th
IU.................10th
PU..............120th
Ill.................73rd

avg. ~ 85th (excluding YSU which is 31st in the FCS)

ours:
CMU..............106th
ND..................81st
Akron............105th
UConn...........116th
Minn..............107th
PennSt............56th
IU..................10th

avg. ~ 83

our rank is 45th
MSU's is 87th.

I think our defense can cope with MSU's offense more easily than their defense can cope with our offense.

I just don't have a lot of faith that our offense will develop any sort of rhythm OR avoid stupid turnovers.

True, neither team has faced a great offense. But MSU is holding these crap teams WAY below their average output (most by more than 2 standard deviations) while Michigan is holding many of their crap opponents to right around their averages. If we go 60/40 or more run/pass and don't do anything stupid (asking a lot from our OCs) I think we will move the ball more effectively than michigan.

Edit - by no means am I saying we will move the ball effectively, just saying more effectively than the wolverines.

Last edited:
My point doesn't have anything to do with Michigan's defense, or how the two relate. I'm just saying Michigan shouldn't completely give up on having a coherent gameplan because of how MSU has done against garbage competition.

I agree, though I do wonder whether it's possible for Borges to come up with a coherent gameplan in the first place. I to would like to see more short passes mixed in with the running game, and screens/draws used more often than they have been. except for a couple drives here and there, our play calling seems desultory, and doesn't seem to have evolved much over the season as far as I can tell.

it makes me long for the days of DeBord and Carr (on offense at least).

Last edited by a moderator:
My biggest fear is the bye week and what idiotic scheme Al has brewed up. He has had time to think up some stupid shit.

My fear is that M will come out and play like a bunch of pussies coming off the bye, and get down early. Dantonio then unleashes the bounty hunters on Lewan, DG and every other player and the game devolves into an ugly mess. I don't have any confidence in the coaching staff to have come up with much more than the excuses for the postgame and some nonsense about the upcoming opponent.

And since we all know message boards and fan comments drive the team, I hope this post is up in the weight room at Shembechler Hall in 72 FONT!!

...and that MICHIGAN comes out and plays its first complete game of the year and kicks ass!

Last edited:
Lol, there sure is a lot of fear in this thread, from both sides. I'm such a pessimist in these big games. I guess my biggest fear is getting beat down like ND did against Michigan. I really think it will be a war out there though.

Ummm...did I step into the Twilight zone? Sparty fans and Wolverine fans have been at each other's throat for the stupidest of things all year and now I'm seeing compliments from both sides and civil discussion?

Come on guys, it's rivalry week. You're welcome to talk shit. I don't want to have to start banning people for being too nice. lol.

Ummm...did I step into the Twilight zone? Sparty fans and Wolverine fans have been at each other's throat for the stupidest of things all year and now I'm seeing compliments from both sides and civil discussion?

Come on guys, it's rivalry week. You're welcome to talk shit. I don't want to have to start banning people for being too nice. lol.
everyone's afraid to talk shit, then have it blow up in their face, and have to avoid posting until they recover mentally.

poor little fragile snowflakes...

Observation from someone with no skin in the game. Spartans are a team that seems always to be one play away from self-destructing. Nevertheless, they're going to do just enough to win this game. Tough D, an untimely turnover from Gardner and home field makes the difference.

"My team sucks more than your team" type posts aren't really compliments but you're right that the discussion is far more congenial than expected. I suspect the tone will change once the ball is in the air or at least by the time one team is "victimized" by a bad call...

Last edited:
Honestly, I think nobody really knows what is going to happen. During the summer, State wasn't supposed to have any QB at all but Cook suddenly looks great. Michigan's offense under Borges with Gardner was supposed to maximize the potential of a Pro Style attack with some read-option leftover from Denard's play-book, but looks totally inept at times.

I think the M OL has looked vulnerable and that when pressured up the middle, Gardner panics a bit, but who knows, maybe all these "givens" about the game go the other way?

My fear is that M will come out and play like a bunch of pussies coming off the bye, and get down early. ..

if Hoke & his staff did their jobs, the bye week should only help.

in Hoke's tenure we've usually played well after a bye week, though we haven't played an opponent like MSU after one. we've had three and in each case we pounded the opponent the next week (Purdue twice, and Minnesota this season).

if Hoke & his staff did their jobs, the bye week should only help.

in Hoke's tenure we've usually played well after a bye week, though we haven't played an opponent like MSU after one. we've had three and in each case we pounded the opponent the next week (Purdue twice, and Minnesota this season).

And MSU this season.
They won't know what hit them.

We are ging to throttle them so badly their defensive rankings will fall out of the top 20 in all categories!

Monster... >:D

Back