Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

thoughts on UM-MSU

isn't it: parenthesis, multiplication, division, addition, subtraction?

no, PEMDAS... I forgot the "exponent" part.

it's 2.

MSU has a different "order of operations":

step 1. move couch outside

step 2. light couch on fire.

MSU bros not do step one correctly, it get very hot inside party. party go up in smoke. house burn down. people die. very bad. learn things hard way.

MSU has a different "order of operations":

step 1. move couch outside

step 2. light couch on fire.

MSU bros not do step one correctly, it get very hot inside party. party go up in smoke. house burn down. people die. very bad. learn things hard way.

I thought AA had a bigger problem with couch fires on porches, which is still in the house. Didn't your favorite Wolverine have a thread about something like that ?

Please Expect Michigan to Dominate Against Sparty.

+1 !! LOL

You guys mowed thru this too fast. I jumped back to edit my answer with technical observances.

My Dear Aunt Sally says 288
Technically this is an ambiguous expression which is missing one set of parenthesis. With the way it is written it would lead you to believe the intention is to multiply through the parenthesis first, but by the OOOs that would be incorrect, as division and multiplication hold the same order hence resorting to left-to-right operations.

Can you show me how to re write the same expression to yield 8.67 ? :)

+1 !! Lol

you guys mowed thru this too fast. I jumped back to edit my answer with technical observances.

My dear aunt sally says 288
technically this is an ambiguous expression which is missing one set of parenthesis. With the way it is written it would lead you to believe the intention is to multiply through the parenthesis first, but by the ooos that would be incorrect, as division and multiplication hold the same order hence resorting to left-to-right operations.

Can you show me how to re write the same expression to yield 8.67 ? :)

48/(2*9)+(2*3)

or, if that is too ambiguous:

(48/(2*9))+(2*3)

Last edited:
48/(2*9)+(2*3)

or, if that is too ambiguous:

(48/(2*9))+(2*3)

+1 to Spack.

Actually there is no ambiguity in simple math, but equations and expressions can be written wrong.
Parenthesis cannot be "implied".

Last edited:
Yup. M&D rank equally. A&S rank equally.

wait. so is it 288 or 2?

PEMDAS always made sense to me, because otherwise, why would you even have parenthesis if operations outside them took precedence?

wait. so is it 288 or 2?

PEMDAS always made sense to me, because otherwise, why would you even have parenthesis if operations outside them took precedence?

It is 288. Period. multiplication and division have equal precendence and are done left to right.

Last edited:
wait. so is it 288 or 2?

288. M&D are equivalent and you go left to right so you get to the division first, but I can't say I've ever run into this problem. The "right" thing to do depends on the real world problem you're trying to solve. Then, if you're in some situation where you have to write the problem down for someone else to solve, don't write it in a way that could be easily misinterpreted.

288. M&D are equivalent and you go left to right so you get to the division first, but I can't say I've ever run into this problem. The "right" thing to do depends on the real world problem you're trying to solve. Then, if you're in some situation where you have to write the problem down for someone else to solve, don't write it in a way that could be easily misinterpreted.

Gulo Genius does have a nice ring to it. :nod:

+1 to Spack.

Actually there is no ambiguity in simple math, but equations and expressions can be written wrong.
Parenthesis cannot be "implied".

Correct, but that was a reference to your prior comment where you said the original expression was ambiguous and missing a set of parenthesis. It's not because as you correctly pointed out, the OOOs clearly tells you to perform the operation inside the parenthesis then the remaining operations left to right.

The answer is 288. Expressed this way:

48/(2(9+3))

the correct answer would be 2.

wait. so is it 288 or 2?

the P in PEMDAS refers to what's INSIDE the parenthesis. If they were not there the answer would be 5.67.

Back