Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Tigers 2017 Season Debacle, trades, releases and fired thread

Take this with the appropriate number of grains of salt, but I have a friend of a friend that currently plays for a Tigers minor league team, and he was supposedly told by his manager to run away from the organization - that it's a complete mess.

Neither my friend, nor the player are BS'ers, so I don't have reason to disbelieve it outright, but that does seem like a hell of a thing for a manager to say about his employers. The player is more of a career minor leaguer than an actual prospect, so hopefully he's not running off anyone important. But still, it might be even worse than we think..

well...most of the career minor leaguers are in Toledo...so I assume it's someone there.

If he did say something like that I'm sure he thought it was something the player was going to keep to himself.

But why though? A team that pays him, a pretty good gig - that could lead to a bigger gig. I hope they find him and fire him. He's suppose to shape young minds not gossip about stuff like this..

But why though? A team that pays him, a pretty good gig - that could lead to a bigger gig. I hope they find him and fire him. He's suppose to shape young minds not gossip about stuff like this..

who knows. Maybe the player is on the end of a contract and asked the manager if there was a place for him in the organization and he told the player the truth...get out...it's a mess.

of course...this could all be bullshit. Some guy posts this rumor on an internet message board...that he heard it from a friend of a friend.

The fuck it was.
http://www.mlive.com/tigers/index.ssf/2017/08/justin_verlander_trade_rumors.html
Tigers trade rumors: Justin Verlander deal discussed with Astros, report says.
Updated on August 7, 2017 at 12:36 PM Posted on August 7, 2017 at 12:30 PM

MLB trade rumor grade: Justin Verlander to the Astros?
The most obvious deal that hasn’t been completed is still on the table. Is it a good rumor, though?
by Grant Brisbee@mccoveychron Aug 8, 2017, 1:13pm EDT
TWEET

https://www.sbnation.com/mlb/2017/8/8/16113044/mlb-trade-rumor-justin-verlander-astros

PIN

REC

This is copied from the link that I saw. No need to get salty...a trade rumor from yesterday or today is still just a trade rumor that hasn't materialized.

Last edited:
MLB trade rumor grade: Justin Verlander to the Astros?
The most obvious deal that hasn?t been completed is still on the table. Is it a good rumor, though?
by Grant Brisbee@mccoveychron Aug 8, 2017, 1:13pm EDT
TWEET

https://www.sbnation.com/mlb/2017/8/8/16113044/mlb-trade-rumor-justin-verlander-astros

PIN

REC

This is copied from the link that I saw. No need to get salty...a trade rumor from yesterday or today is still just a trade rumor that hasn't materialized.

Now you're bringing other links, I said the link you originally posted was from August 7th, and copied the dates after the link and title to the story,
so instead of saying you were wrong you bring in other links, just stop, just f'n stop.

listen...I posted it earlier and when you called me out for it being an old article I googled it again and that particular article said 8/8. What the fuck difference does it make if it is a rumor from today or yesterday?? It's still just a rumor weather it's a day old or from today.

I don't think it's possible not to be salty this year with the way this shit team has played, the whole thing is FUBAR

Last edited:
I don't think it's possible not to be salty this year with the way this shit team has played, the whole thing is FUBAR

that's not being salty. that's a personal issue. Has been for some time. Not sure what started it.

that's not being salty. that's a personal issue. Has been for some time. Not sure what started it.

It's not personal, I think it is wrong to want to trade the face of the franchise, the best pitcher this team has had in our lifetimes.
We are given a pack of lies from shit for brains Avila that it isn't a salary dump, yet that is what he and Ilitch are doing, and shit for brains can't get, because he doesn't know how to get a good deal.

Tom's M.O. is and has always been about trading off high salaried players, whether Tigers, Lions, he would never sign players like that to begin with, the Billy Bean of the Tigers board, let them go bring up the minor leaguers. That works if you have shrewd scouts and draft people working for you.
and it's that same thing he is consistent with.

You are not going to win anything with 4 AAAA players, at least with a couple of stars you have a chance of getting in.
This year? you might be thinking, it still comes down to production and lack of, and imo it also has something to do with the manager who I think they have tuned out and whether they admit it or not, have packed it in with all the trade speculation and drama of the past 2 months.

You want to talk about personal, you really don't have room to say that with you and Reb regularly.

Last edited:
Tom's M.O. is and has always been about trading off high salaried players, whether Tigers, Lions, he would never sign players like that to begin with, the Billy Bean of the Tigers board, let them go bring up the minor leaguers. That works if you have shrewd scouts and draft people working for you.
and it's that same thing he is consistent with.

This is not entirely true. My biggest beef with the JV and Miggy signings were that they were the timing of the signings (both with 2 years left and after career years) and they were both their 3rd contracts. Both players already had very lucrative 2nd contracts (both 2nd contracts were very smart moves by the Tigers)

I have no problem with big extensions...just do it so you lock them up during their peak years...not ages 34-40

This is not entirely true. My biggest beef with the JV and Miggy signings were that they were the timing of the signings (both with 2 years left and after career years) and they were both their 3rd contracts. Both players already had very lucrative 2nd contracts (both 2nd contracts were very smart moves by the Tigers)

I have no problem with big extensions...just do it so you lock them up during their peak years...not ages 34-40

OK, I give you that.
We have to think (at least I do) this was Ilitch's way of signing them to that 3rd contract to be Tigers for life. right or wrong, he wanted them to retire as Tigers and be the new faces of the franchise for years to come, like Al and Willie have been along with Trammell. It sells seat, and memorabilia.

Back