Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Tigers acquire Omar Infante and Anibal Sanchez

I'm not sure why you guys are all convinced Sanchez will walk, I doubt DD lets him.

What kind of money do you think we throw at him with the understanding that Cabrera and Verlanders contracts are looming?

I don't see us giving Sanchez the kind of money he will get on the open market.

If we don't win a WS AND he walks in 2 months how can this trade be anything but bad?

I gotta agree with Mitch here [it kill me :hehe:].

We gave up 2 of 3 of our top rated prospects and didn't get a premier name in return.

Granted Infante will be a huge upgrade. But Sanchez may or may not have that big of an impact. Smyly was getting the job done pretty well, and he's likely gone from the rotation barring a trade of either Porcello or Scherzer, so we only gained a minimal amount in the SP role.

And Sanchez is likely just a 3 month rental.

If we win the WS, DD looks like a genius, if we fail to make the playoffs he'll look like he was desperate and got raped.

I'm hoping this trade pans out, but we gave up a whole lot.

What kind of money do you think we throw at him with the understanding that Cabrera and Verlanders contracts are looming?

I don't see us giving Sanchez the kind of money he will get on the open market.

I'm not sure, but I don't think Illiatch cares at this point as long as it isn't $20+ mil a year.

Anyone have any word on the corresponding roster moves yet?

I agree it seems to me that we should have gotten better for what we gave up... Hopefully it will work out and we will win the WS!!!!!

So Worth likely gets dropped from the 25 man?

If it was going to be Raburn I doubt they would have DFA anyone else.

They have yet to make the 25 man roster move, that was the 40 man move. It's likely to be Worth moved down, but Raburn could be released or possibly Kelly.

They have yet to make the 25 man roster move, that was the 40 man move. It's likely to be Worth moved down, but Raburn could be released or possibly Kelly.

Yeah, I get that it was a 40 man move...

I was saying if they DFA'd DeLaCruz, then it's not likely they will release Kelly or Raburn, because they could have just done that and killed 2 birds with one stone. [making a 40 man and 25 man roster move at the same time]

Which means Danny Worth is likely heading back to Toledo.

There's a lot of stuff I don't like about this trade but one thing that nobody has said is that Infante is what 31 if I'm not mistaken. So he's not going to be anything like he was in his last time around in Detroit. He is going to continue to decline like he has the past few years.

There's a lot of stuff I don't like about this trade but one thing that nobody has said is that Infante is what 31 if I'm not mistaken. So he's not going to be anything like he was in his last time around in Detroit. He is going to continue to decline like he has the past few years.

Still better than the pieces of shit the Tigers have fielded at 2B the last couple years. It's not like he's signed to a long contract either though.

DD messed up here. I get that we needed an upgrade at 2B and in the starting rotation, but how much did we really get back? Infante is an inferior fielder to what we already had, and his bat is probably going to be worse in the AL. He is an upgrade only because our second basemen can't hit, not because he is a good player. Sanchez meanwhile doesn't strike me as offering all that much. An upgrade over Porcello and Scherzer (most days), but not someone you'd feel confident handing the ball to in the playoffs.

Turner may not have been the ace we hoped he would be, but he was still our 2nd best prospect, and a top 30 (as high as top 10 last year) prospect overall. I don't think this move is enough to make us champs this year, and I think it seriously hurts our future. Turner's future was more valuable than Sanchez/Infante's present. It feels like DD jumped on the first deal available, rather than getting actual value. If the goal is winning now (certainly with this trade), we should be making trades that would actually give us that chance. The marginal upgrades made with Infante/Sanchez aren't enough.

I knew you'd come around Thumb :nod:

The one thing I like is Sanchez road numbers. If we can sign in, I'll be on board.

DD messed up here. I get that we needed an upgrade at 2B and in the starting rotation, but how much did we really get back? Infante is an inferior fielder to what we already had, and his bat is probably going to be worse in the AL. He is an upgrade only because our second basemen can't hit, not because he is a good player. Sanchez meanwhile doesn't strike me as offering all that much. An upgrade over Porcello and Scherzer (most days), but not someone you'd feel confident handing the ball to in the playoffs.

Turner may not have been the ace we hoped he would be, but he was still our 2nd best prospect, and a top 30 (as high as top 10 last year) prospect overall. I don't think this move is enough to make us champs this year, and I think it seriously hurts our future. Turner's future was more valuable than Sanchez/Infante's present. It feels like DD jumped on the first deal available, rather than getting actual value. If the goal is winning now (certainly with this trade), we should be making trades that would actually give us that chance. The marginal upgrades made with Infante/Sanchez aren't enough.

Inferior fielder? Our infielders are terrible at defense, Infante will instantly become the best infielder. He is a good player, he is one of the top 2B in the game right now, he isn't great, but he is about 10x better than anyone else we were putting out there.

Why wouldn't you feel comfortable giving Sanchez the ball in the playoffs? He has a solid ERA and is more consistent with his pitching than Scherzer and Porcello with great stuff.

Turner was nothing more than a pitching prospect right now, he isn't going to help the Tigers out right now and the Tigers have a limited timeframe right now with the core players in their prime to win a title or two.

No he wont be a FA till 2014.

I know that so we get him for a year and a half... Then what? We trade some more great prospects for an average/above average second baseman like this trade. I have heard lots of good things about Brantly and I see a good upside with Turner. This trade just doesn't add up for me.

Interesting thing to note, the last time the Tigers gave up 2 of their top 3 prospects...we got Miguel godofallthingsbaseball Cabrera.

So people who don't understand why some of us think this trade was a little lopsided [for Miami] ask yourselves, how this trade compares.

Inferior fielder? Our infielders are terrible at defense, Infante will instantly become the best infielder. He is a good player, he is one of the top 2B in the game right now, he isn't great, but he is about 10x better than anyone else we were putting out there.

Why wouldn't you feel comfortable giving Sanchez the ball in the playoffs? He has a solid ERA and is more consistent with his pitching than Scherzer and Porcello with great stuff.

Turner was nothing more than a pitching prospect right now, he isn't going to help the Tigers out right now and the Tigers have a limited timeframe right now with the core players in their prime to win a title or two.

Define "top 2B".

Because I can think of like 10 2B's that are better. Granted Infante is a big improvement, but I don't consider him a top 2B.

The C had nowhere to go in organization, the other pitcher I have no idea on and trading Turner isn't all that bad. The trade on paper, IMO, is fair. Just depends if he RESIGNS with us.

Back