Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Tigers acquire Omar Infante and Anibal Sanchez

Interesting thing to note, the last time the Tigers gave up 2 of their top 3 prospects...we got Miguel godofallthingsbaseball Cabrera.

So people who don't understand why some of us think this trade was a little lopsided [for Miami] ask yourselves, how this trade compares.

I believe the difference is that Brantly is blocked by a young All Star in Alex Avila and Jacob Turner isn't as good as once believed. Neither are can't miss prospects and the Tigers didn't give up Nick Castellanos, so that is big.

Andrew Miller and Cameron Maybin were thought to be sure things when they were traded and were both some of the best prospects in baseball, I'm not sure Brantly is even in the top 100. Big difference in terms of top prospects from now and then.

The C had nowhere to go in organization, the other pitcher I have no idea on and trading Turner isn't all that bad. The trade on paper, IMO, is fair. Just depends if he RESIGNS with us.

IF he resigns! If he does I think we all feel a little better about this trade. But as of right now I'm a bit scared.

I like the deal. Don't really have any new points to make than what others have already posted but there is no doubt we got significantly better right now in 2 spots. We received 2 proven players while giving up unproven ones. It may be a big gamble but I like the attitude. Not a lot of holes in the lineup with BB raking lately.

The C had nowhere to go in organization, the other pitcher I have no idea on and trading Turner isn't all that bad. The trade on paper, IMO, is fair. Just depends if he RESIGNS with us.

Brantley was not really blocked.

Most teams carry two catchers, if he was ready after 2013 or so their would be a spot from him on the Tigers irregardless of Avila.

Same with Castellanos, he is not blocked by Cabrera, if you're good enough, they'll fine somewhere for you to play on the big club.

I believe the difference is that Brantly is blocked by a young All Star in Alex Avila and Jacob Turner isn't as good as once believed. Neither are can't miss prospects and the Tigers didn't give up Nick Castellanos, so that is big.

Andrew Miller and Cameron Maybin were thought to be sure things when they were traded and were both some of the best prospects in baseball, I'm not sure Brantly is even in the top 100. Big difference in terms of top prospects from now and then.

Excellent points.

It's not the point of where they were rated overall, but within our system.

We gave up most of everything we had to bargain with, I'm hoping it will work out well, but, as of right now, I'm feeling we spent too much for what we got in return.

Like Mitch said, if Sanchez signs an extension or re-signs for a reasonable amount, it will turn out to be a pretty fair [or close to] deal.

Brantley was not really blocked.

Most teams carry two catchers, if he was ready after 2013 or so their would be a spot from him on the Tigers irregardless of Avila.

Same with Castellanos, he is not blocked by Cabrera, if you're good enough, they'll fine somewhere for you to play on the big club.

But a 2nd C only plays once, maybe twice a week. Might as well add him to a trade though. Backup C you can get elsewhere.

I don't get all the worry about Sanchez resigning with us. It's almost a lock we extend him if he does well down the stretch and we make a playoff run. If he sucks we probably don't keep him and we wouldn't want him anyway if he's not good. I don't get all the worry.

I don't get all the worry about Sanchez resigning with us. It's almost a lock we extend him if he does well down the stretch and we make a playoff run. If he sucks we probably don't keep him and we wouldn't want him anyway if he's not good. I don't get all the worry.

Well that would be a big part of the worry..that we dealt away a valuable trade piece for a mediocre pitcher who we won't even want to resign at years end.

Not saying that will happen but I'm sure that it a lot of the worry. Definitely part of mine.

I don't see how extending a guy about to hit FA for the first time can ever be "a lock".

No way he extends, he almost has to test the FA waters first.

I'll post it again, 2.56 on the road this season for Sanchez. Miami ball field just killed him.

I'll post it again, 2.56 on the road this season for Sanchez. Miami ball field just killed him.

Like you, I don't trust NL pitchers making the switch though. History is not on our side.

FWIW, I had more concerns with Miller when Detroit traded him than I currently have with Turner. Turner just needs to naturally progress and he should be a lock for a top 3 spot in a rotation somewhere. I didn't know if Miller had a future in baseball after seeing him pelt the backstop over the course of a season and a half. Sure, the upside was higher, and that's what sells when it comes to trades, but Miller was by no means a sure thing at that point.

Last edited:
Like you, I don't trust NL pitchers making the switch though. History is not on our side.

I agree. But it's 2.56 on the road NL rather than 3.95 or whatever is overall numbers say. Gives me hope ;-).

Would be incredibly dumb to base the decision of whether or not to sign him based on how he does for a two month period.

I agree. But it's 2.56 on the road NL rather than 3.95 or whatever is overall numbers say. Gives me hope ;-).

Thank goodness he'll be pitching in so many NL ballparks this year! I guess I know who's pitching game 2 of the WS.

Back