Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Tigers' Jacob Turner having 'dead-arm period'

I'm just glad it is what it is and not something bad like his shoulder or elbow.

edit...just read this from buster olney,
About Jacob Turner's drop in velocity this spring: Talked with executives w/other teams who say their scouts reported this late in 2011, too.

"Yeah, a little bit," he said, in a voice that hinted at greater concern. "I think it might be a little dead-arm period."

ugh...sure hope its not a Bonderman-long "dead arm" period. Pretty vague and a tad bit worrisome description of Turner's early pitching problems by Leyland

Hopefully with some time back in the minors he can develop more and get some velocity back and confidence as well. Let's just hope it's just arm fatigue or dead arm, whatever they call it. I'm a little concerned but he's still real young.

something called "dead arm" doesnt sound good when you typically use your arms to pitch....

http://www.blessyouboys.com/2012/3/14/2870568/jacob-turner-being-shut-down-with-tendinitis-report-says
Jacob Turner being shut down with tendinitis, report says.
from blessyouboystigersblog

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20120314/SPORTS0104/203140388/1129/sports0104/Tigers-prospect-Turner-shut-down-suffering-dead-arm-period-
Tigers' prospect Turner shut down, suffering 'dead-arm period'.
from the detnews

http://beck.mlblogs.com/2012/03/14/turner-shut-down-for-week-with-tendinitis/
Jacob Turner shut down for week with tendinitis.
from Jason Beck's Tigers blog

http://www.mlive.com/tigers/index.ssf/2012/03/detroit_tigers_shut_down_right.html
Detroit Tigers shut down right-hander Jacob Turner due to tendinitis in his shoulder.
from Mlive

Well at least it appears that Turner doesn't need to be cut into already @ only age 20.10.

Tigers have built a team that is expected to be serious WS contenders, Why are they still screwing around with minor leaguers, when it is very probable that by post-ASB they will quite likely begin to, if not NEED to seriously examine trade options for obtaining a 5th starter. If any of their ALCD rivals were truly formidable, the Tigers' brass would already have signed or much more likely, have traded for that 5th LH SP, IMO. I would feel much better about the Tigers chances, should they clinch a postseason berth, with the club having a very good veteran lefty SP option on the postseason roster, as a veteran lefty was the ONLY Tigers SP to win a game (dirty thumb or mostly not) in the '06 WS.

So much for top prospect. He must have had this problem all along because I have never been impressed.

jdeb said:
So much for top prospect. He must have had this problem all along because I have never been impressed.

He pitched mostly okay last year when he got called up for those starts, holding runners was an issue, but dead arm did not seem to be.

People are expecting too much, too soon.

He'll be fine.

jdeb said:

Still one of the best prospects in baseball.

jdeb said:

He recently lost 5MPH on his fastball and six inches on his breaking ball. That's not "all-along"

There may be multiple issues causing the inflammation. Things like diet, improper warmups, improper cool downs, improper exercises, improper throwing rituals on off days.... plus several more - where 1-2 could be the culprit.

Odds are, his arm extension narrowing happened prior-to arriving in Lakeland. Jacob has not looked good from Day-1 in camp. Tigers trainers and doctors may ask Turner to keep a log on all of his rituals pertaining to that golden right arm. That's the easiest way to pinpoint a bad habit or three.

I would trade this guy immediately (if that is possible). It sounds a lot like Brandon Webb a few years ago. They were saying dead arm, needs rest, then the next thing you know, no more Bandon Webb.

uofmpoweri said:
I would trade this guy immediately (if that is possible). It sounds a lot like Brandon Webb a few years ago. They were saying dead arm, needs rest, then the next thing you know, no more Bandon Webb.

Read the link I posted.

Dead arm is common, every pitcher gets it at some point.

Verlander did back in 05.

mjsb2 said:
uofmpoweri said:

Read the link I posted.

If he is over worked in spring training to the point that his arm is dead, then maybe he should move to the bull pen. It isn't the same as a young pitcher wearing out in the second half of the season. I would trade him while he still has value. Let someone else get his dead arm going again. Maybe we can get a CF'er that can hit.

uofmpoweri said:
mjsb2 said:
Read the link I posted.

If he is over worked in spring training to the point that his arm is dead, then maybe he should move to the bull pen. It isn't the same as a young pitcher wearing out in the second half of the season. I would trade him while he still has value. Let someone else get his dead arm going again. Maybe we can get a CF'er that can hit.

Dead arm is very common during ST.

Back