Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Tigers @ Pirates Game #8

SG a man of few words...LOL

IZPcV.jpg

:tup: See you crazy cats tomorrow.

Nobody on this team has had much success against Burnett except Davis. It's only 9 at bats, but Brad gambled that maybe there was something to it and it paid off BIG TIME! Good call Brad, good call!

Yes it did.. Give one to the manager... Nice to rebound...

Man it was nice to see our closer not struggle.

Some of you are acting like gose is a great hitter. Not like Davis is sub .200 against right handers

It's impossible to have Davis just bat against lefties..or there will be times he sits for days at a time. Regardless of the right thing to do, he got it done today. Props to him. Tigers won, Davis was a big part of the win. It's all good today.

From 2012-2014, there are 202 MLB hitters who batted at least 800 times against RHP and Davis is 198th in OPS, wOBA and 199th in RC+. He is one of the worst MLB hitters against RHP.

Today Davis hit RHP. But is wasn't about being smart, it was about being lucky.

If you aren't starting Gose primarily against RHP, then why did we trade Devon Travis for him? Gose has a .331 OBP vs RHP over the last 3 years. While not great, it is better than Davis' .286 OBP.

OBP vs RHP last 3 years

M. Cabrera .391

V. Martinez .388

W. Bernard .382

A. Avila .351

T. Collins .344

D. Fields .337

A. Gose .331

A. Romine .327

N. Castellanos .325

J.D. Martinez .319

J. Iglesias .314

H. Perez .314

D. Machado .312

Y. Cespedes .310

S. Moya .309

I. Kinsler .308

J. McCann .306

B. Holaday .305

R. Davis .286

I am ecstatic that the Tigers won. Davis was a key part to that win. That doesn't negate the fact that he is a poor choice to play against RHP or for that matter to lead off against RHP.

Last edited:
His career BA vs RHP is .167.

Um....no. that is his split hitting lefty versus right handed pitching. Lol u think he would still be in the league with that? ?

His career average is .254 versus righties. OPS is .654. Not good but gose is boom or bust this year with 9ks in 23 at bats. So he has 9 hits on 14 balls in play and zero walks. Sustainable much?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm confused. Manager makes a call, it works out, and he got lucky.

Does he get any credit for this team's start? Or is it just all the players when they do something good, and on him when they lose?

Brad has been fantastic. Just the one bad game so far... But it does belay the point why trade for Gose in the first place if your not going to use him verses RHP which is what we thought would happen.. Why trade a prospect for a pinch runner/defensive replacement ? Travis has fallen back to earth lately.. Hopefully Wally can fix Gose and get him to hit better.. But man how about Greene.. Man what a couple of starts..

Last edited:
I'm confused. Manager makes a call, it works out, and he got lucky.

Does he get any credit for this team's start? Or is it just all the players when they do something good, and on him when they lose?

That is how most people here look at it. The manager has nothing to do with wins but when something goes wrong it is almost always his fault.

The trade. How are some of theses other guys? I know who the great Robbie Ray is..Is this a DD fleece or is it to early to say?

December 5, 2014: Traded as part of a 3-team trade by the New York Yankees to the Detroit Tigers. The Detroit Tigers sent Domingo Leyba (minors) and Robbie Ray to the Arizona Diamondbacks. The Arizona Diamondbacks sent Didi Gregorius to the New York Yankees.

That is how most people here look at it. The manager has nothing to do with wins but when something goes wrong it is almost always his fault.

That is so untrue..
Whenever any of us question any move half the board throws their arms in the air? What the heck is wrong discussing the moves a manager makes or does not make?
It was one of the first questions Brad was asked they other day about his thoughts on pinch hitting VM.. Or maybe taking out Sanchez after the second homer. Your crowd never sees the praise when we do use it or when the numbers say other wise.. You guys just focus on one or two post and blast guys for it.. It's total crap..

Last edited:
Small sample size of two starts, to be sure, but Shane Greene actually reminds me a lot of Doug Fis- *gets mauled by a bear*

That is so untrue..
Whenever any of us question any move half the board throws their arms in the air? What the heck is wrong discussing the moves a manager makes or does not make?
It was one of the first questions Brad was asked they other day about his thoughts on pinch hitting VM.. Or maybe taking out Sanchez after the second homer. Your crowd never sees the praise when we do use it or when the numbers say other wise.. You guys just focus on one or two post and blast guys for it.. It's total crap..

There is nothing wrong with discussing moves but a lot of people like to pin the blame for a loss on the manager. In game decisions that a manager makes have very little influence on a win or a loss....it is the player's performance that is the reason for the outcome of games.

Um....no. that is his split hitting lefty versus right handed pitching. Lol u think he would still be in the league with that? ?

His career average is .254 versus righties. OPS is .654. Not good but gose is boom or bust this year with 9ks in 23 at bats. So he has 9 hits on 14 balls in play and zero walks. Sustainable much?
My bad, I had forgotten he used to try to be a switch hitter. Stupid fangraphs chart.

Gose is still a far better option vs RHP.

Simply not true. I even said in the game thread from the loss that while I didnt agree with Ausmus' moves, the players (especially Sanchez and Nick) were the ones that failed and caused us to lose. Ultimately, it is always up to the players. But sometimes Ausmus doesn't help by putting players in a position to fail rather than succeed, and often times he seems to do it way more than he should.

On the other hand, sometimes he DOES make the right moves, and I give him the praise he deserves, like PH for Greene last night. Gutsy call to take out a dominating pitcher who only needed 3 more outs to get a Maddux, but he was absolutely right to PH Victor. That move didn't work out, but he at least did what he should have done, and I'm glad he did, just like I said at the time.

I will give him praise when he deserves it and criticize him when he deserves it, regardless of the outcome of the action.

Last edited:
Well he sure as heck hasn't been putting them in a position to fail more than succeed this season, seeing as how they currently look like world beaters.

Well he sure as heck hasn't been putting them in a position to fail more than succeed this season, seeing as how they currently look like world beaters.
Sometimes when you put a player in a position to fail, they still succeed. And sometimes when you put them in a position to succeed, they fail. And it hasnt been constant, and he has been marginally better than last year, if only just.

I can't figure out why so many people are having trouble grasping the concept I'm getting at there, that we can say an idea was a good one or bad one and praise/criticize it regardless of whether the outcome ended up good or bad. Its not like this is exclusive to baseball or anything.

Last edited:
You will really, really have to get into the dirty details to determine how and when he's been putting them in a position to fail vs a position to succeed.

All I've seen so far is a team that's done their job, look very strong in almost all aspects of the game. And I give some credit to the manager for doing his job and getting them off to a great start.

Back