Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Tigers vs. Blue Jays Game #87, July 7, 2023

byco42

Game Time: 6:40 p.m. Comerica Park

ESPN Gameday

Tigers SP: Alex Faedo RHP W-L 1-3 ERA 5.54 WHIP 0.92
Blue Jays SP: Alek Manoah RHP W-L 1-7 ERA 6.36 WHIP 1.90

Detroit Tigers (38-48) 3rd in AL Central -6.0 Last 10: 5-5 W1

Expected Lineup
RF Zach McKinstry L
1B Spencer Torkelson R
3B Andy Ibanez R
DH Kerry Carpenter L
SS Javier Baez R
CF Matt Vierling R
LF Akil Baddoo L
C Jake Rogers R
2B Zack Short R

Toronto Blue Jays (48-40) 4th in AL East -8.0 Last 10: 6-4 W3

Expected Lineup
RF George Springer R
SS Bo Bichette R
DH Brandon Belt L
1B Vladimir Guerrero, Jr. R
3B Matt Chapman R
LF Daulton Varsho L
2B Whit Merrifield R
C Danny Jansen R
CF Kevin Kiermaier L

BR Preview

Freep Game Notes

1% Precipitation
79? Wind 6 mph In
LINE TOR -140
O/U 9.0 Runs

Tickets

Random Blue Jays' Player (I don't look when I pick these players)

Blue Jays Uniforms, 1984

Is that right, high ERA with a slamming WHIP on Faedo?

Yes. He's given up 6 HR (22 hits total) and 2BB with a K/BB ratio of 13.00. It's an outlier, given that he's only pitched 26 innings this season.

I guess Marisnick will be the odd man out when Greene comes back. I was all for it a weekish ago but now I think he would be a great bench guy to keep. He has elite defense and speed. Wish we could find a way to keep him.

Why in earth does Schoop keep dodging the axe?

Oh I agree. I have no idea. Him and Haase are probably not as valuable as Marisnick is in my opinion but
Sadly Haase is the back up catcher.

Last edited:
It has to be schoop. He can?t hit homers anymore.
He only plays 2nd and 3rd. Sometimes 1st . (.213) 0. Homers

Mckinstry can play the outfield and infield. (.250) 6 homers
Short can play anywhere on the infield. I think he has played some outfield. (.226) 4 homers
Haase sadly gets saved because he can catch. (.213) 3 homers
Ibanez can play both the infield and outfield. (.228) 6 homers
Marisnick (.227). 2 homers.

None of these guys are batting over .250.

Man this team bb/k ratio seems really bad. 283/766. Yikes.

Last edited:
These numbers would sure look good at third base.
261/.339/.475/.814. With 12 homers and 40 RBI?s with 27 doubles and 2 triples.
He is a switch hitter too.

Seems like we gave up too soon on a guy who lead the leagues in doubles in 2021. With 42.

Last edited:
A.J. Hinch said the Tigers expect to activate Riley Greene tomorrow. He will DH ? just in time for his bobblehead night.
Riley makes these catches look easy. Catching his first Tigers bobblehead is even easier.
Just be one of the first 15,000 fans for Giveaways on Saturdays to get yours.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F0c40MAWYA0BGzO?format=jpg&name=900x900

Tigers starters vs. Toronto Blue Jays:
Friday: RHP Alex Faedo vs. RHP Alek Manoah.
Saturday: RHP Matt Manning vs. RHP Kevin Gausman.
Sunday: LHP Tarik Skubal vs. RHP Chris Bassitt.

Javy Baez career
walk rate 4.7% (2023) 3.7%
BABIP .323 (2023) .276
ISO .197 (2023) .108
Have to think these levels are non sustainable..even a 50% correction is a huge bump in production.
While most of you keep hating on Javy Baez..and I hate on almost everyone else..I'm here to remind you..besides being top 5 defensive metrics.. he's 5th in SS RBI..what intrigues me going forward..my guess..when DET is deep enough to hit him #6..he hits a ton better.

If its me..I promote Keith to play 3B and Meadows to play CF starting next Friday..if they struggle so be it..time to get serious about being good..not afraid of being good..Harris always seems very afraid..of everything..its the mentality of an academic..not an athlete..

The Tigers have announced the following roster moves:
*Following yesterday's game, optioned LHP Zach Logue and INF Tyler Nevin to Triple A Toledo.
*Reinstated RHP Alex Faedo from the 15-day injured list.
*Reinstated OF Akil Baddoo from the 10-day injured list.

HOLTON PUTTING UP ZEROS: Tyler Holton pitched 2.0 perfect innings yesterday against Oakland, striking out one. Since June 4, Holton has given up only two earned runs in 13 appearances, posting a 0.98 ERA (18.1IP/2ER) and 20 strikeouts. For the season, Holton ranks eighth among American League relievers (min. 30.0 innings) in ERA (1.97), while he is 10th in WHIP (1.01).

VIERLING STAYS HOT: Matt Vierling was on base twice on Thursday, going 1x4 with a RBI and a walk. Since coming off the injured list on June 12, Vierling is batting .364/.440/.591 with two doubles, two triples, three home runs and eight RBI in 20 games. Among qualified AL hitters in that span, he ranks third in batting average and fifth in on-base percentage, slugging percentage and OPS (1.031).

https://www.audacy.com/971theticket...isten-to-la-leyenda-miguel-cabrera-the-legend
Listen to La Leyenda - Miguel Cabrera "The Legend" Episode 1, 2 and 3 today! 45 minutes.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/episode-026-a-welcome-break/id1266543495?i=1000619922814
Motor City Metrics Tigers Podcast Episode 026: A Welcome Break. 103 minutes.
The guys recap the series against the Oakland A's and preview the series against the Blue Jays as the Tigers head into the All-Star break.

Last edited:
It has to be schoop. He can?t hit homers anymore.
He only plays 2nd and 3rd. Sometimes 1st . (.213) 0. Homers

Mckinstry can play the outfield and infield. (.250) 6 homers
Short can play anywhere on the infield. I think he has played some outfield. (.226) 4 homers
Haase sadly gets saved because he can catch. (.213) 3 homers
Ibanez can play both the infield and outfield. (.228) 6 homers
Marisnick (.227). 2 homers.

None of these guys are batting over .250.

Man this team bb/k ratio seems really bad. 283/766. Yikes.

Cabrera .247 is the 4th best average i n the lineup right now!

That's a granny or so I thought, only 1 scored.. lucky. Next guy pops up.

Is Bichette not a pull hitter? Our LF was playing in the RF corner it seemed.

Back