Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Timmy Kirkjan (sp)

Miggy took over 3rd base despite it not being his preferred position and did a great job. Not a good job...a great job. Being #3 on Fielding% list for guys playing 3B is a great job defensively. It is called the "Hot Corner" for a reason and is arguably the most challenging position to play. Much more challenging than being in the outfield.

He moves over to play 3B...why? Because the TEAM needed him.

How much more "Valuable" does a guy need to be?

Rookies have "unbelievable" years every year, hence the Rookie of the Year award. Granted his was above average, but the mere fact he tapered off indicates pitchers eventually figured him out and proved he is actually average instead of a phenom.

Haven't had a Triple Crown winner in AL for 45 years.

Absolutely ridiculous there is even a "close" vote on this.

You are an idiot.

Pretty much everything in this post is wrong.

It was a big move to 3rd by Miguel and I think he should get credit for that, maybe extra credit ;-). I think most of us thought he wouldn't handle as well he did.

As far as the voting, IMO, I'm not sure it should be close. People always talk about the end of the year should matter more. His August and September blew Trout away.

And don't tell me AJ is the 10th best or 12th best CF in baseball. That tells me the UZR/150 is either crap or alone doesn't give the perfect view of a defensive player.

The end of the year shouldn't matter more.

It's ignorant to believe that.

Wait a minute, that was not a bad argument about Miguel moving to 3rd. Nonetheless, we're a little biased we see Miguel every day and he's our guy. But to discount a TC and calling someone an idiot because you have a different view adds nothing.

Wait a minute, that was not a bad argument about Miguel moving to 3rd. Nonetheless, we're a little biased we see Miguel every day and he's our guy. But to discount a TC and calling someone an idiot because you have a different view adds nothing.

He cited FP% and his entire section about Trout was asinine.

When did he say Trout was no good? Or that Trout was just average? Nothing wrong with saying it should be close, others have this view.

He said Trout was above average at first, and then tapered off proving pitchers figured him out (which is an ignorant statement in and of itself, because it doesn't mean that at all) and then called him merely average rather than a phenom.

Trout is a phenom, and he's having a historical rookie season, maybe the great rookie season in history, and the greatest season by a 20 year old in history.

Calling him anything other than a phenom is minimalizng Trout and what he's done.

He is as good of a bet to be a generational talent that there ever has been.

Yeah okay. I suppose Miggy playing more has no effect on the MVP either?

Yeah okay. I suppose Miggy playing more has no effect on the MVP either?

Whether or not Trout played in April has nothing to do with whether or not we should place a greater weight on April stats than September stats.

This has nothing do with Trout or Cabrera.

Then why do people bring it up? Why does hitting a HR in the 7th or later get more value than a 1st inning HR? I hear it all the time.

Whether or not Trout played in April has nothing to do with whether or not we should place a greater weight on April stats than September stats.

This has nothing do with Trout or Cabrera.

So Trout not playing in April, and then being an average to above average player in the last 2 months of the season should have no weight on his MVP candidacy? Riiiiight..... Guess Melky should be right in there with these guys unless they decide a user can't win it.

As I said before, how can the last 2 months NOT count for more? All you guys do is talk about clutch clutch clutch..Lebron can't win a title..he's not the best until he's clutch...Romo has great numbers but he's a bum cuz he's not clutch....blah blah blah....now Cabrera wills his team to the playoffs by going insane for 60 days while Trout not only doesn't get better but regresses over a 2 month span and it doesn't matter? Didn't play in April either but it doesn't matter that 3 whole months of the season he wasn't an MVP? I could see your arguement if he had better numbers overall still but he doesn't.

Then why do people bring it up? Why does hitting a HR in the 7th or later get more value than a 1st inning HR? I hear it all the time.

Because a lot of people still believe players can be clutch.

It comes down to not understanding statistics.

So Trout not playing in April, and then being an average to above average player in the last 2 months of the season should have no weight on his MVP candidacy? Riiiiight..... Guess Melky should be right in there with these guys unless they decide a user can't win it.

As I said before, how can the last 2 months NOT count for more? All you guys do is talk about clutch clutch clutch..Lebron can't win a title..he's not the best until he's clutch...Romo has great numbers but he's a bum cuz he's not clutch....blah blah blah....now Cabrera wills his team to the playoffs by going insane for 60 days while Trout not only doesn't get better but regresses over a 2 month span and it doesn't matter? Didn't play in April either but it doesn't matter that 3 whole months of the season he wasn't an MVP? I could see your arguement if he had better numbers overall still but he doesn't.

My post had nothing whatsoever to do with the MVP, it had nothing whatsoever to do with Trout, and it had nothing whatsoever to do with Cabrera.

And you've never seen me say anything about a player being cluth, or a player not being able to handle the pressure.

Those beliefs are asinine.

Last edited:
Because a lot of people still believe players can be clutch.

It comes down to not understanding statistics.

You don't think players can be? And if Miguel hit 200 with no home runs do the Tigers still win the ALC. That might be far fetched but don't tell me players can't be clutch.

I guess batting .320 with a .200 BA with RISP is the same as .320 with a .400 BA with RISP. No such thing as clutch, lol.

Back