Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Today's example of Christians behaving well

The analogy is used talking to Pilot. Are we typically more like Roman Governors passing judgement or are we bothers and sisters or are we like sheep?

Pilate was a man so ensconced in his tenable position as governor of Judea that he looked Jesus square in the face and asked "What is Truth?" He was so overmatched that his own wife recognized it, and she urged him to release Christ.

I am entirely comfortable worshiping the person who created me as a King. But there are many other dimensions to my relationship with Christ besides that. So I am applying the gift of free will from God to love and abide in Him.

Pilate was a man so ensconced in his tenable position as governor of Judea that he looked Jesus square in the face and asked "What is Truth?" He was so overmatched that his own wife recognized it, and she urged him to release Christ.

I am entirely comfortable worshiping the person who created me as a King. But there are many other dimensions to my relationship with Christ besides that. So I am applying the gift of free will from God to love and abide in Him.
In what other context do we think of a King as a good thing? Maybe once they lose all power and are basically national mascots.

In what other context do we think of a King as a good thing? Maybe once they lose all power and are basically national mascots.

Monarchies qua Monarchies are not inferior structures of government, when the monarch actually rules responsibly and with benevolence.

Besides, Christ the King is King of the Universe, not of any nation on Earth. His kingdom is of Heaven, not of Earth, although The Lord's Prayer requests that they are one. I think it's rather obvious what transpires when nations abandon or reject God outright.

Here's only one of dozens of passages in scripture that refer to his Kingdom:

"And Jesus went about all the cities, and towns, teaching in their synagogues, and preaching the gospel of the kingdom, and healing every disease, and every infirmity."​

Link

The Lion King.

Little King?s Cream Ale from Cincinnati is pretty good beer.

I honestly wish I could say Burger King is good, but I?m pretty sure everyone here would know that?s a whopper.

Monarchies qua Monarchies are not inferior structures of government, when the monarch actually rules responsibly and with benevolence.

Besides, Christ the King is King of the Universe, not of any nation on Earth. His kingdom is of Heaven, not of Earth, although The Lord's Prayer requests that they are one. I think it's rather obvious what transpires when nations abandon or reject God outright.

Here's only one of dozens of passages in scripture that refer to his Kingdom:
"And Jesus went about all the cities, and towns, teaching in their synagogues, and preaching the gospel of the kingdom, and healing every disease, and every infirmity."​
Link

"King" and "Kingdom" are just analogies that underwhelm in comparison to the truth. I just don't think the terms evoke the same thing they did ages ago. I understand the use of the term. I just think it's weird to focus on it in a modern country that also celebrates overthrowing kings.

The Lion King.

Little King?s Cream Ale from Cincinnati is pretty good beer.

I honestly wish I could say Burger King is good, but I?m pretty sure everyone here would know that?s a whopper.

You win again. Lion King is a reluctant and fictional King, but still a good King.

"King" and "Kingdom" are just analogies that underwhelm in comparison to the truth. I just don't think the terms evoke the same thing they did ages ago. I understand the use of the term. I just think it's weird to focus on it in a modern country that also celebrates overthrowing kings.

MT 18:20

"And Jesus coming, spoke to them [the 11 apostles], saying: All power is given to me in heaven and in earth. [19] Going therefore, teach ye all nations; baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost. [20] Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and behold I am with you all days, even to the consummation of the world."

Is this any less underwhelming? From this command, a worldwide Church of 1,200,000,000 people exists.

MT 18:20

"And Jesus coming, spoke to them [the 11 apostles], saying: All power is given to me in heaven and in earth. [19] Going therefore, teach ye all nations; baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost. [20] Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and behold I am with you all days, even to the consummation of the world."

Is this any less underwhelming? From this command, a worldwide Church of 1,200,000,000 people exists.

I'd add "pretty lousy" before worldwide church, to make it accurate.

I'd add "pretty lousy" before worldwide church, to make it accurate.

That?s far from accurate. It?s not even a statement aimed in the general direction of the discussion. A ?pretty lousy? institution doesn?t last 2,000+ years. Given the concerted internal and external efforts applied from the beginning to destroy it, without success, I?d say that ?pretty lousy? is a ?pretty lousy? adjective to associate with the Catholic Church.

I don't think you learned that here. You learned it somewhere else and project it on everything here. Sometimes I learn of these things from you complaining about them (e.g., intersectionality.)

I didn't "learn it" here - that's sarcasm, and I'm not projecting anything on everything here. Maybe I should have named specific posters instead of "DSF" - I keep forgetting how sensitive you are. Yes, there are reasonable voices who I disagree with often but racism or general hate is often thrown around by several people so convinced of the virtue of their worldview that it's the only possible reason anyone could disagree.

And I don't recall ever "complaining" about intersectionality - I may have made arguments about how stupid the politics of intersectionality are, that's completely different. An example of complaining would be someone taking a sarcastic generalization personally and whining about it because it hurts their feelings or whatever it does to cause them to whine about it.

Last edited:
Why do gay men never watch Hallmark Christmas movies?

Because their husbands fuckin’ hate them, too!

Pope backs universal healthcare after being released from the hospital:
"In these days that I have been in hospital, I saw once more how important it is to have a good healthcare system that is accessible to all, as it exists in Italy and in other countries," he said.

A health service that is free and guarantees good service accessible to all ... This precious good should not be lost. It must be maintained and everyone should be committed to this. Because everyone needs it ...," he said.

Francis criticised managers of Church-run hospitals whose first thought, he said, is to close when economic difficulty hits.

"Your vocation as a Church is not to have money but to be of service, and service is always free," he said in part of his unprepared remarks.

American Catholics: "Not to have money?! What is he talking about?!?! Having money is in the Bible. Or something. right?"

Pope backs universal healthcare after being released from the hospital:
"In these days that I have been in hospital, I saw once more how important it is to have a good healthcare system that is accessible to all, as it exists in Italy and in other countries," he said.

A health service that is free and guarantees good service accessible to all ... This precious good should not be lost. It must be maintained and everyone should be committed to this. Because everyone needs it ...," he said.

Francis criticised managers of Church-run hospitals whose first thought, he said, is to close when economic difficulty hits.

"Your vocation as a Church is not to have money but to be of service, and service is always free," he said in part of his unprepared remarks.

American Catholics: "Not to have money?! What is he talking about?!?! Having money is in the Bible. Or something. right?"

I think the bible says that you are supposed to give your money to the church. That's how the Catholic church has amassed over $15B :cheers:

And that's after they paid off all of those kids that were molested by priests.

I think the bible says that you are supposed to give your money to the church. That's how the Catholic church has amassed over $15B :cheers:

that's all they have? that's chump change these days

They?re self-insured.

Would you consider the Pope to be a leading public health expert? Where would he rank compared to say, Dr. Fauci? Or Dr. Rachel Levine?

Back