Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Today's Good Old American mass shooting brought to you by...

Are you not familiar with helium dirigibles? They were safe, efficient, and fast transcontinental transportation in the 20s' and 30's. Especially in and from Germany.

Until the US banned the export of Helium, Germany had to switch to Hydrogen.

It's not a stretch to transfer that technology to much smaller scales, even down to the individual.

a personal zeppelin seems impractical for the run to work or 7-eleven but it does solve the problem of taking a zip line uphill...

a personal zeppelin seems impractical for the run to work or 7-eleven but it does solve the problem of taking a zip line uphill...

The technology of a moving, floating "vehicle" doesn't have to look anything like a dirigible.

Anyone ever wonder why and how we were herded into buying automobiles (nothing autonomous about them), and, as a consequence, were denied the opportunity to travel unencumbered by roads?

The "historians" laud this mode of transport as "liberating". I disagree. And this is a bit of conundrum for me, since the auto industry supported my childhood and my own family for the better part of 60 years, along with millions of other families, especially in the Detroit area, where I grew up and spent much of my adult life.

Still, if we are driving about in cars 100 years from now, something has gone awry, and I question whether or not superior, safer, less-expensive (free) and more individual methods of transportation were suppressed in favor of the automobile.

Like what, you ask? We'll perhaps never know. Imagine if one of us conceived an alternate mode of transportation that didn't need roads. And it gained "traction."

Yes, thank you.

And the issues of this forced subsidy to the oil, auto, and road construction companies (and many -if not most- of the latter being one place mob money got laundered) become even cleared around Houston.

I think the cost to future generations of Americans of maintaining the massive highways, elevated flyover connectors, and all that is going to bankrupt our cities and people.

True but it?s not what it looks like that makes it practical or impractical.

What fuel did the Jetsons use?

That?s what i would be looking into.

My guess is that Hanna Barbera just assumed in the 1960s fossil fuels would be unlimited.

Who knows?

Since the Jetsons was an animated fantasy, maybe they just thought we?d all assume that in the future, flying crafts would be fueled by unicorn farts.

Wow.

Leslie Van Houten is being paroled.

Not an example of a mass shooting from today, but wow.

She?s probably not even hot anymore.

Wow.

Leslie Van Houten is being paroled.

Not an example of a mass shooting from today, but wow.

She?s probably not even hot anymore.

Huh. I wouldn't have allowed anyone involved in those murders the possibility of parole, but I guess practically speaking they needed some to confess in order to get the full story, and a lighter sentence is the only real incentive they could trade. and it doesn't sound like she was anywhere near the most brutal murderder among that group of brutal murderers.

Last edited by a moderator:
oh, and we missed a couple mass shootings, both in New Mexico.

one was an 18-year-old kid, the other was a fight at a biker rally.

Don't go to biker rallies, and don't let 18-year-olds buy assault rifles. Or anyone who's not in a well-regulated militia, for that matter...

oh, and we missed a couple mass shootings, both in New Mexico.

one was an 18-year-old kid, the other was a fight at a biker rally.

Don't go to biker rallies, and don't let 18-year-olds buy assault rifles. Or anyone who's not in a well-regulated militia, for that matter...

What, exactly, is an "assault rifle?"

Hard to say since the people throwing that term around don?t seem to know anything about guns. From what I can tell, it?s any gun they don?t like.

I know more about guns than you do, and have fired an assault rifle.

Huh. I wouldn't have allowed anyone involved in those murders the possibility of parole, but I guess practically speaking they needed some to confess in order to get the full story, and a lighter sentence is the only real incentive they could trade. and it doesn't sound like she was anywhere near the most brutal murderder among that group of brutal murderers.

It?s controversial.

Over the course of the years, since the rise of the machines (aka the internet development) it?s been my impression that Leslie is the consensus hottest Manson chick.

When I look it up today, there seems to be some discussion.

Certainly, Leslie has been portrayed in film by a number of smokin? Hollywood babes, starting with Catherine Wadkins, Hannah Murray, Kristen Hager, and Victoria Pedretti, in ?Once Upon a Time in Hollywood.?

To be fair, a more famous/accomplished actress, Dakota Fanning portrayed Squeaky Fromme in
that movie, but Squeaky, pretty much a back bencher at the time of the murders, gained an amount of notoriety for herself in the 70s, when she attempted to assassinate President Ford.

Last edited:

We do not have the full story of this crime.

We do not have the full story of this crime.

What's your basis for claiming there's more to it than what's generally been written about it?

I am sure the record is not 100% accurate, but seems like they have a general idea of who did the killings.

What's your basis for claiming there's more to it than what's generally been written about it?

I am sure the record is not 100% accurate, but seems like they have a general idea of who did the killings.

That's the iceberg tip. Rabbit, meet hole. Link

The C I A reviewed the book and, naturally, disavowed any connection with Manson.

I know more about guns than you do, and have fired an assault rifle.

I doubt both of those claims. I've definitely fired a couple assault rifles - an AK-47 and M16 both fully automatic.

Edit: you've been to Ukraine so it's possible you fired a fully automatic rifle there so maybe I should only doubt one of those claims.

Last edited:
I doubt both of those claims. I've definitely fired a couple assault rifles - an AK-47 and M16 both fully automatic.

Edit: you've been to Ukraine so it's possible you fired a fully automatic rifle there so maybe I should only doubt one of those claims.

Oh wow, you've fired not one but two of the most common guns in the world. We got a real Rambo over here!

Back