Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Tuck goin'

I doubt we could get Hartline but he would be on the short list of candidates in my book. Generally I prefer HCs from the defensive side but since Dantonio's last 5 years, I've reconsidered that bias. Hartline is a great recruiter and has led some of the best offenses in the country. He probably wouldn't be interested unless he thinks Day has longevity at OSU - but if he keeps losing to lesser uofm teams he probably won't last.

I'd like to see them bring in an outsider like Hartline or maybe Elko (I'm not a huge believer, but his name is top 3 on every list I've seen so far), have Barnett quit in protest and hire Leonhard or someone like him as DC.

Something tells me Haller will do something dumb again like hire from within or require head coaching experience, or prioritize race, or hire Bob Stoops. I like Hawkins and Barnett from their playing days at MSU, and Hawkins has been WR coach for some solid groups in his short time here but I don't think either one of them is ready to coach or recruit at the level we need.

Last edited:
I just want a coach that will hire competent coordinators and hold them accountable. No more buddy bullshit

disclaimer for michturd - I think what Tucker did was awful and he should be done at MSU...

One of my uofm alum friends brought up an interesting comparison. He's a pretty reasonable guy and was actually making fun of all the morons at mgoblog for lighting their hair on fire over this. Anyway, his thought was if Jeffrey Toobin can whack it on a Zoom session with a bunch of his CNN colleagues (clearly without their consent) and only serve a brief suspension, Tucker shouldn't get raked over the coals. However, this guy wants Tucker to stay because he thinks he's a mediocre coach.

I have a difficult time following UM media, specifically MGoBlog and WTKA. On one hand they do have the most access and the most accurate information. I love the MMQB segments on WTKA with Devin Gardner but that's mainly because I loved DG as a player and he's entertaining as hell. But they, like most libs), can't help but interject their twisted views on most things they cover (excluding Devin, he seems to stay out of it, likely because he has to as a Fox broadcaster). Sam, Ira, Brian, Seth are all losing their minds over the whole thing but have shown zero objectivity on the situation. As several of us have pointed out, there's so many unknowns at this point as well as major holes in the stories from both sides. Still, everyone in UM media is talking about it as if it were an undisputed fact that he was guilty of everything he's accused of even though the only thing that's public knowledge at this point is he said/she said.

I shouldn't be surprised. There have been plenty of other examples over the years. I couldn't help but roll my eyes a few weeks ago when Sam Webb was on his message board saying that his whole family had COVID but it was okay since they were all vaxed then had his mods delete every comment that dared point out the stupidity in his logic.

I have a difficult time following UM media, specifically MGoBlog and WTKA. On one hand they do have the most access and the most accurate information. I love the MMQB segments on WTKA with Devin Gardner but that's mainly because I loved DG as a player and he's entertaining as hell. But they, like most libs), can't help but interject their twisted views on most things they cover (excluding Devin, he seems to stay out of it, likely because he has to as a Fox broadcaster). Sam, Ira, Brian, Seth are all losing their minds over the whole thing but have shown zero objectivity on the situation. As several of us have pointed out, there's so many unknowns at this point as well as major holes in the stories from both sides. Still, everyone in UM media is talking about it as if it were an undisputed fact that he was guilty of everything he's accused of even though the only thing that's public knowledge at this point is he said/she said.

I shouldn't be surprised. There have been plenty of other examples over the years. I couldn't help but roll my eyes a few weeks ago when Sam Webb was on his message board saying that his whole family had COVID but it was okay since they were all vaxed then had his mods delete every comment that dared point out the stupidity in his logic.

I don't follow any of it, just DSF and finding articles online - don't think I've ever been on RCMB and definitely never been on MGoBlog. I live in New Jersey so the only sports talk radio I listen to is WFAN and ESPN radio and it's almost exclusively about NY pro sports so barely ever listen to that. So I guess I'm one of the lucky ones who isn't constantly exposed like people in the local markets.

I agree with everything you said about this. And I knew stating my pretty reasonable opinion, acknowledging it could go either way and that much is still unknown and may never be known would still light someone's hair on fire and elicit a bunch of false accusations about things I didn't say and attacks on my character. Nothing new there. This is a case where there will be no winners, whatever happens I just hope it's based on the truth and works out as well as it can for everyone involved.

As a Spartan fan, I loved Devin Gardner as a player too. Had no idea what he was up to post football but sounds like he's doing better than he was against our once great D :tup: - good for him!

Last edited:
spoke with my brother-in-law in East Lansing last night - he's worked with the hoops team a couple times on injury stuff and I think a couple football players as well but to be clear he's NOT an insider and I'm not claiming this is inside information. Anyway, the story he's hearing from friends is that the University changed course after the article and before the scheduled hearing because apparently there are more side pieces, and other unsavory details about the Tuckers having an open relationship or some type of "arrangement".

Apparently these other details about Tucker's lifestyle prodded the University to take action ahead of the scheduled hearing. I feel like if that were true something would have leaked by now, but who am I to stop a good rumor from spreading - at least among the 6 or 7 of my good friends that read the DSF MSU board...

Last edited:
Just go a notification from CBS sports.

Mel Tucker is fired.

From MSU.

I don?t know if he?s been fired from his next job yet or not.

Just go a notification from CBS sports.

Mel Tucker is fired.

From MSU.

I don?t know if he?s been fired from his next job yet or not.

Well, that's the price that is sometimes paid for concupiscence, and, in this case, it was a steep one.

hey, what are you using words like that for? you're on the MSU board

Well, then, who did MSU hire to write this?

"for his admitted and undisputed behaviors which have brought public disrespect, contempt and ridicule upon the university; and constitute a material breach of his agreement, and moral turpitude."​

Well, then, who did MSU hire to write this?

"for his admitted and undisputed behaviors which have brought public disrespect, contempt and ridicule upon the university; and constitute a material breach of his agreement, and moral turpitude."​

they hired an attorney

so it looks like we'll be competing w/ Texas A&M and probably Arkansas, Mississipi State and West Virginia for a head coach this season.

We'll all be trying to hire someone who already has a job - assuming of course, Urban Meyer ends up turning us down (that's a joke, just in case). We have the jump on all of them since A&M just fired Fisher and the other 3 haven't actually fired their coaches and apparently we've already narrowed it down to 4 candidates, but I doubt that means much.

And how have we narrowed it down to 4 candidates in the middle of the season?

Back