Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Two Lions say racial slurs show their friendship

schles192

When Eagles receiver Riley Cooper was caught on tape using the N-word, it resulted in Cooper being sent away amid a controversy that embroiled the team. But two players on the Lions say they openly use racial slurs toward each other as a sign of affection.

Tony Scheffler, a white tight end, and Louis Delmas, a black safety, have been close friends since they were teammates at Western Michigan, and Terry Foster of the Detroit News writes that they frequently greet each other by Delmas saying, ?Hey, cracker,? and Scheffler replying, ?How?s my n ????

That context is quite a bit different than the context in which Cooper used a racial slur: Cooper was using the N-word to describe people he said he wanted to beat up. But aren?t slurs unacceptable in any context?

Delmas says Cooper deserved the scorn he got, but that Scheffler should not be criticized for using the same word under different circumstances.

?Me and [Scheffler] have a relationship many people do not have ?both black and white,? Delmas said. ?I look at him like my brother. I love him to death. He greets me, ?What up, n???? But I understand it. So I say, ?What?s up, cracker?? But we would never take it outside the building.?

Similarly, Scheffler said Delmas calls him racially charged names as a sign of affection.

?I treat Louis like a little brother,? Scheffler said. ?He knows my wife and kids. He calls me ?white boy? and ?cracker.? We go back and forth with it and we are both comfortable with each other. I can?t say the same with other relationships in the locker room or how other guys would feel about it. So it is a tough dynamic when you are using those types of words. Everybody does not react the same.?

And everybody will not react the same to Scheffler and Delmas. Some will say it?s great that their friendship is close enough that they can use such words without causing offense. Others will say that everyone, even those who mean no harm, should put racial slurs out of their vocabularies.

Last edited:
Just dumb. Unless asked why volunteer the information.

Btw, its wrong in any context.

Last edited:
It's only a slur if it's being used like one.

Nothing wrong with it, no different from a couple guys calling each other, jackoff or dickhead.

It's only a slur if it's being used like one.

Nothing wrong with it, no different from a couple guys calling each other, jackoff or dickhead.

Sure it is. Calling someone a dickhead to someone you don't know might be mean but its not a racial slur.

That word is never going to go away. Ever.

It's not being used in a negative context. It is NOT being said to random people. It is two friends who are having fun.

Not sure why Delmas and Scheffler would volunteer that information.

Not sure why Delmas and Scheffler would volunteer that information.

cause every black guy in the league is being asked about riley cooper right now cause the media overreacts to everything. so delmas responded truthfully.

Want shock and awe....go poll all the old white people in congress that have called the president a n*$ger the last 5 years.

cause every black guy in the league is being asked about riley cooper right now cause the media overreacts to everything. so delmas responded truthfully.

Want shock and awe....go poll all the old white people in congress that have called the president a n*$ger the last 5 years.

I don't think they actually asked that question "So Delmas you ever say Racial slurs.".

I don't think they actually asked that question "So Delmas you ever say Racial slurs.".

No they probably asked something dumber like "what do you think about some guy on the eagles calling some dickhead at a concert the N word?"

These people dont even know who riley cooper is...most of them dont know the situation.....what the hell are they supposed to say?

Derrrrr.....tony schefler calls me the N word cause hes my brother.

Thats the dumb response you get from a dumber question lol.

No they probably asked something dumber like "what do you think about some guy on the eagles calling some dickhead at a concert the N word?"

These people dont even know who riley cooper is...most of them dont know the situation.....what the hell are they supposed to say?

Derrrrr.....tony schefler calls me the N word cause hes my brother.

Thats the dumb response you get from a dumber question lol.

Dumbass Riley didn't call one person that. He said "I'll jump that fence and fight all the N here".

Its different than what Delmas and Schefler said but still stupid as fuck.

Dumbass Riley didn't call one person that. He said "I'll jump that fence and fight all the N here".

Its different than what Delmas and Schefler said but still stupid as fuck.

Don't be afraid to say the word. Saying nigger on a forum while quoting someone doesn't make you a racist. Calling a person who you don't know, however, is. They're two friends who are VERY comfortable with each other.

Don't be afraid to say the word. Saying nigger on a forum while quoting someone doesn't make you a racist. Calling a person who you don't know, however, is. They're two friends who are VERY comfortable with each other.

I just don't like saying it.

I know. I suppose it would have been better for me to add a smiley after my post...

Still wouldnt take away from the irony. You did or said nothing wrong. Not judging you. Just saying it's ironic. Everyone knows Mitch is sweet and cuddly.

Back