Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Tyrann mathieu "it looks like they don't understand system yet"

dtroitlionsfan951

How painful is this season? Is it as painful to watch as many other seasons where we sucked? Or worse? For me, this season is the hardest one I have had to watch as a lions fan. Nothing invokes my anger more for a lot of reasons. I don't think our talent is close to our level of play is reason number 1. It's easier for me to cope with having shitty players and finishing 5-11 at the end of the season than it is to watch players be misused and mismanaged all year long. And quotes like this continuing from opposing players are just building up my frustration. Worst coaching I have ever seen. Even worse than Rod Marinelli. Besides Austin that is.

This team has some talent but isn't loaded. They are terrible in the trenches, the secondary is average, and the skill players are inconsistent.

This team has some talent but isn't loaded. They are terrible in the trenches, the secondary is average, and the skill players are inconsistent.

Exactly. Offseason we're all optimistic, at least partially. Once reality set in.. both lines haven't been good, secondary, RB, QB - weak in general.

And as I said when we moved the ball on the last drive that now everyone is going to think Matt is good again. How people think our DL has turned a corner now that we did well against a bad OL.

Exactly. Offseason we're all optimistic, at least partially. Once reality set in.. both lines haven't been good, secondary, RB, QB - weak in general.

And as I said when we moved the ball on the last drive that now everyone is going to think Matt is good again. How people think our DL has turned a corner now that we did well against a bad OL.

I guess every position group taking a shit last year on offense was just a big coincidence. How dumb of me. Matts offenses have always been this pitiful and were even worse with worse talent. He wasn't sacked 20+ more times than the previous year not under Caldwell last year. Also Caldwell didn't wreck Baltimores offense in almost a carbon copy./end sarcasm.

Joey harringtons offenses were similar to this one. Teams like the Browns with nobody's at all skill positions are better than this one. Open your eyes to the main problem with this team. A perfect example for you is last years lions defense. Essentially the same players at many positions, yet exponentially better especially the secondary under new coaching. Everyone said that group was shit too.

I guess every position group taking a shit last year on offense was just a big coincidence. How dumb of me. Matts offenses have always been this pitiful and were even worse with worse talent. He wasn't sacked 20+ more times than the previous year not under Caldwell last year. Also Caldwell didn't wreck Baltimores offense in almost a carbon copy./end sarcasm.

Joey harringtons offenses were similar to this one. Teams like the Browns with nobody's at all skill positions are better than this one. Open your eyes to the main problem with this team. A perfect example for you is last years lions defense. Essentially the same players at many positions, yet exponentially better especially the secondary under new coaching. Everyone said that group was shit too.

All I know is we scored a lousy 3 points with the offense. And Seattle didn't look as stout, hell St. Louis scored over 30 against them. Can't just blame the OC for scoring 3 points.

One drive and suddenly we're the '99 Rams. This team has many problems, not just coaching. Caldwell, Lombardi, Gym Shorts, Linehan -- all the same.

All I know is we scored a lousy 3 points with the offense. And Seattle didn't look as stout, hell St. Louis scored over 30 against them. Can't just blame the OC for scoring 3 points.

One drive and suddenly we're the '99 Rams. This team has many problems, not just coaching. Caldwell, Lombardi, Gym Shorts, Linehan -- all the same.

Nah, it is just coaching. As far as the offense goes. You don't see things properly. Individually you can see the players talent. Riddick, Ameer, and ebron. Much better options than all of staffords talent when his offenses scored many more points. And that's not including a second receiver like golden Tate also. It doesn't make sense to individually get better across the board only for way worse results. The offense has looked confused for two years. Stafford getting sacked and throwing 2 yard passes all day is a trend that only begun with new coaching. Seriously look at Baltimore with and without Caldwell. Look at flacco and Ray rices career worst year. Look at how their oline nsuddenly couldn't run block and gave up many more sacks. Caldwell IS that bad of a coach.

Yes this coaching staff is a bunch of idiots outside Austin..

Mathieu is right. We should be scoring 30 points per game

Oline injuries, Pettigrew injury and some Reiff regression. Swanson is a problem.

Oline needs to get it together.

Coaching is Problem #1 - this is primarily the scheme choice /lack of teaching said scheme.

Talent is Problem #2 - and this one is a bit more difficult (for me) to determine 'whos at fault'

Defensively speaking - I think Mayhew is the sole culprit...there are some solid players on the D (Quinn/Levy/Ansah) and then there are some above average players (Slay/Ihedibo/Ngata), but there is very little depth, and the decimation of the D line is all on Mayhew...Austin has shown he is more than capable of coaching a Defense, so I dont put much (if any) of the blame on him.

Offensively - the problem is (IMO) two fold: 1) Coaches aren't coaching the players properly, and as a result, 'talented' players (high draft picks) are under performing.

2) We lack good players at key positions (LT/RT,C, QB,TE) - this is a combination of both bad talent evaluation by the GM, and bad coaching by the coaching staff...Im going to say most of it is the coaching.

LT was a top 20 draft pick
QB No. 1 draft pick
TE No. 10 draft pick

These are players who were highly touted, yet have mostly failed in Det. You could say they were all 'reaches' in the draft, but even if that's the case, they would all have been drafted within the next 5-20 picks..making them elite college prospects. yet for some reason they havent performed well to come even close to validating their draft slot. This is on the coaches IMO...If they had gotten hurt, that can be "blamed" on the GM drafting an injury prone player (Mayhew has tons of those), but thats not the case with a lot of the under performing players on the Offense.

I also think a lot of us overvalued the talent on the team (as most fans do), but I refuse to believe that all of the top picks on this team would struggle (this badly) under different/competent coaching staffs.

The defense has brought more pressure than last year. Ngata has more pressure tallied than Suh right now. Run D is top 5 right now (3 good games, one bad). Peterson didn't play us last year.

The problem is offense. 100% and it's mainly Oline and Lombardi being predictable.

And this might be a 2013 type situation. Ansah and Slay had some growing to do. Swanson and Laken have some growing to do.

Last edited:
Nah, it is just coaching. As far as the offense goes. You don't see things properly. Individually you can see the players talent. Riddick, Ameer, and ebron. Much better options than all of staffords talent when his offenses scored many more points. And that's not including a second receiver like golden Tate also. It doesn't make sense to individually get better across the board only for way worse results. The offense has looked confused for two years. Stafford getting sacked and throwing 2 yard passes all day is a trend that only begun with new coaching. Seriously look at Baltimore with and without Caldwell. Look at flacco and Ray rices career worst year. Look at how their oline nsuddenly couldn't run block and gave up many more sacks. Caldwell IS that bad of a coach.

Ameer? What the hell has he ever done? 115 yards rushing in 4 games, 3.4 YPC. All I hear with him is give him the ball more but when he doesn't do well it's the offensive line. There have been years, where the OL was better-the running was better, and yet Matt was the same bad QB. Going on 4 years now, 2 HC, 2 OC, 2 QB coaches, 1 QB.

You can't explain that can you? It's simple math really, common denominator is Matt Stafford.

Stafford's had one good year in seven. Linehan looks like a god compared to Lombardi, and even with him Stafford had ONE good year. He's not a good quarterback, period. The excuse making is just beyond exhausting. Guy is going to make like half a billion dollars and not win a single freaking thing.

Stafford's had one good year in seven. Linehan looks like a god compared to Lombardi, and even with him Stafford had ONE good year. He's not a good quarterback, period. The excuse making is just beyond exhausting. Guy is going to make like half a billion dollars and not win a single freaking thing.

The problem I have is many people hear say it's not just OC, or Matt etc. but many many factors and they're not wrong. Then Matt has one good drive where apparently he called a play or two, unconfirmed, and suddenly Matt is good again and the bad play lies with Joe L. and the OL only. And because Seattle only scored 13, the defense is back. Even though we played against a little league offensive line.

The problem I have is many people hear say it's not just OC, or Matt etc. but many many factors and they're not wrong. Then Matt has one good drive where apparently he called a play or two, unconfirmed, and suddenly Matt is good again and the bad play lies with Joe L. and the OL only. And because Seattle only scored 13, the defense is back. Even though we played against a little league offensive line.

We had good pressure against SD and Min too. And good run D against SD and Denver too. The defense is fine but now we lose both DTs to injury when we get Levy back. Such bullshit.

Lions have many Oline injuries and Pettigrew. It hurts the blocking. We played some very good defenses and one other road game (scoring 21 offense and 7 defense). Offense will improve.

At the start of the season we thought tough schedule to start out but after the fact they were 4 beatable teams. SD average, Minny average, Denver, very beatable (home), Seattle, average.

Last edited:
At the start of the season we thought tough schedule to start out but after the fact they were 4 beatable teams. SD average, Minny average, Denver, very beatable (home), Seattle, average.

Denver and Seattle. Top 3 defenses. Min 6th in def PPG and got Peterson back.

Stafford didn't truly fumble against Denver. Slay if played over could make those 2 plays against Thomas and Sanders.

SD away game without many players (Warford, Levy, Waddle). 18 point lead.

Detroit is damn close to 3-1

at Saints, at Rams, KC, 49ers Raiders, Eagles, Bears twice very beatable. And can drop one of thse games

Cards,Pack, Vikings, at Pack. Win the 3 home ones.

Last edited:
Ever thought they're top defense because they played our anemic offense?

Back