Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

UM Bball First Round Picks

deathroh

The latest article at The Athletic notes that UM now has 7 first round picks since 2013. Fourth most in that span behind Kentucky (15), Duke (13) and UCLA (8). The article mentioned that none of UM's guys were McDonald's All Americans, but I thought I'd take that a little bit further and look up the 247 Composite rankings for each UM pick.

I had a general idea, but most were even lower than I had remembered...

Hardaway - 161
Burke - 93
McGary - 28
Stauskas - 110
LeVert - 239
Wilson - 123
Wagner - 119

Average recruiting ranking of 125! I'm not going to take the time to crunch the numbers for the other teams, but I'd be surprised if the average for the UK or Duke players is worse than McGary's 28.

This should make for some great ammo on the recruiting trail.

The latest article at The Athletic notes that UM now has 7 first round picks since 2013. Fourth most in that span behind Kentucky (15), Duke (13) and UCLA (8). The article mentioned that none of UM's guys were McDonald's All Americans, but I thought I'd take that a little bit further and look up the 247 Composite rankings for each UM pick.

I had a general idea, but most were even lower than I had remembered...

Hardaway - 161
Burke - 93
McGary - 28
Stauskas - 110
LeVert - 239
Wilson - 123
Wagner - 119

Average recruiting ranking of 125! I'm not going to take the time to crunch the numbers for the other teams, but I'd be surprised if the average for the UK or Duke players is worse than McGary's 28.

This should make for some great ammo on the recruiting trail.

is it good ammo for recruiting or not? It may be good ammo for recruiting mid-level prospects and tell them they can get them drafted....but none of them have done anything at the NBA level.

Yet the NBA keeps taking them.

Sure, if that trend continues it could be an issue, but that's where you tell the 30th ranked kid..."Look, we got those guys in the door. With your talent the sky's the limit for draft ranking and future NBA success." Not that I can picture Beilein saying that, but his assistants? I hope they are.

Last edited:
The latest article at The Athletic notes that UM now has 7 first round picks since 2013.

Off topic but I am a subscriber to the Athletic. Fantastic outlet, really enjoy how much analytics go into their work rather than subjective 'feeling' articles. I recommend it highly to anyone that doesn't mind paying for quality sports journalism.

Off topic but I am a subscriber to the Athletic. Fantastic outlet, really enjoy how much analytics go into their work rather than subjective 'feeling' articles. I recommend it highly to anyone that doesn't mind paying for quality sports journalism.

Also, get a subscription to UM Hoops. They are a great site. I think it was only $40 for a year. I can't imagine there are many, if any, college basketball blogs that do it better than UM Hoops.

Yet the NBA keeps taking them.

Sure, if that trend continues it could be an issue, but that's where you tell the 30th ranked kid..."Look, we got those guys in the door. With your talent the sky's the limit for draft ranking and future NBA success." Not that I can picture Beilein saying that, but his assistants? I hope they are.

I think this would help with talented sons of former NBA players.

talented kids who don't come from money are still going to prioritize "incentives" in the form of $10,000-$100,000 cash handouts. (It's hard to blame them, with the boatloads of money flowing to everyone else, and the fact that the NCAA doesn't do anything about it)

100% agree.

I think this would help with talented sons of former NBA players.

talented kids who don't come from money are still going to prioritize "incentives" in the form of $10,000-$100,000 cash handouts. (It's hard to blame them, with the boatloads of money flowing to everyone else, and the fact that the NCAA doesn't do anything about it)

Eh, not all of them. I know it's hard to believe, but not every single 16-18 year old is completely short sighted. And the kids that are looking for the quick and easy way out probably aren't good fits anyway.

Eh, not all of them. I know it's hard to believe, but not every single 16-18 year old is completely short sighted. And the kids that are looking for the quick and easy way out probably aren't good fits anyway.

Good point.

I'm thinking it isn't the kids as much as it is the hangers-on some of them acquire. Not their fault, since some of that starts way before any of them are prepared to take charge of their own affairs.

But I generally agree this news should only be a good thing in terms of recruiting. Pretty incredible considering all the knocks on JB, even from our own fanbase, about putting talent into the NBA.

Good point.

I'm thinking it isn't the kids as much as it is the hangers-on some of them acquire. Not their fault, since some of that starts way before any of them are prepared to take charge of their own affairs.

But I generally agree this news should only be a good thing in terms of recruiting. Pretty incredible considering all the knocks on JB, even from our own fanbase, about putting talent into the NBA.

Oh yeah, I'm sure there are a good chunk of kids in that situation.

Imagine telling someone 10 years ago about the number of NBA players that the program would produce under Beilein, and that he would come close to jumping to the NBA himself. Our current political situation might have seemed more likely to be true.

Back