Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

UM hiring Howard

Sbee

They were really in a tough spot here with Beilein leaving so late, not a lot of good candidates out there and most of the hot names have either moved or gotten extensions from their schools. Howard is likely not going to succeed, seems like a reach for a guy who has never coached in the NCAA though he had a long NBA career and was a good locker room mentor. There's a big different between doing that and running a CBB program, as Chris Mullen and Patrick Ewing have found out.

My thought is that he wouldn't get a look at any other major program in the country. The fact that he's a Michigan Man is the main reason he's getting this job. if an equivalent NCAA job came open, Howard wouldn't be in the top 50 candidates

My thought is that he wouldn't get a look at any other major program in the country. The fact that he's a Michigan Man is the main reason he's getting this job. if an equivalent NCAA job came open, Howard wouldn't be in the top 50 candidates

And that's why I'm underwhelmed. If you put up coaching candidates resumes sans names and where they played previously, nobody would be excited about this hire.

In order for him to succeed, he's going to have to make up for his head coaching inexperience with some really, really good recruiting. I know he's from the Chicago area, played in the NBA, etc...but that's a tall order. I'm just not seeing it.

I'm not mad or upset because there were no home run options. JB left them high and dry. This choice feels like a stepping stone to the next top tier candidate to take the job.

Last edited:
Everyone starts at the bottom. If you have good assistant coaches it will help a lot.

I don't know, folks at the uofm board seem to think he's going to start beating MSU right out of the gate - just like Harbaugh did in footba...oh wait, maybe they're wrong.

As an MSU fan and alumnus, love the hire for UM. Big flashy name who’s never had a head coaching job and never had any college job. 6 years as the second assistant at Miami. UM was in the Final 4 a year ago, now they hired a coach for his first head coaching job.

As an MSU fan and alumnus, love the hire for UM. Big flashy name who?s never had a head coaching job and never had any college job. 6 years as the second assistant at Miami. UM was in the Final 4 a year ago, now they hired a coach for his first head coaching job.

Made it to the NC game two years ago.

I think every Michigan fan would have preferred Belein would have stayed on-I know I would have.

But he didn?t.

SOMEBODY had to replace him.

Who would have been better?

Who knows?

As an MSU fan and alumnus, love the hire for UM. Big flashy name who?s never had a head coaching job and never had any college job. 6 years as the second assistant at Miami. UM was in the Final 4 a year ago, now they hired a coach for his first head coaching job.

Could he be good? Yes. Who knows. But he has almost no relevant experience. Good luck.

We're not a women's Spring sports powerhouse like uofm so there hasn't been much to discuss since the Final Four.

Don't appear to be a men's spring sports powerhouse, either, or, if you are, the selected Spartan posters here are not interested. Just noting that a Michigan-based event resurrects the Michigan State board.

Don't appear to be a men's spring sports powerhouse, either, or, if you are, the selected Spartan posters here are not interested. Just noting that a Michigan-based event resurrects the Michigan State board.

I didn't mean to imply that we were, I was just making the point that it's quiet over here because we don't have any coaches quitting on us and our softball, field hockey and women's lacrosse teams aren't competitive or if they are, nobody that posts here pays any attention to it.

It shouldn't be surprising that news like Beilein quitting on uofm would generate a reaction here. He's probably the 2nd or the 3rd best coach in the conference who suddenly and unexpectedly bails on one of our top basketball rivals - that's news worth talking about.

Last edited:
I didn't mean to imply that we were, I was just making the point that it's quiet over here because we don't have any coaches quitting on us and our softball, field hockey and women's lacrosse teams aren't competitive or if they are, nobody that posts here pays any attention to it.

They aren?t.

If they were, maybe you guys would pay attention to it, and make posts and threads about it.

But don?t leave out baseball-Michigan had a pretty good regular season and is alive and competing in the B1G tournament-in fact there was just a huge walk off Win that kept Michigan alive-Just finished watching it on the BTN.

Michigan State didn?t qualify for the B1G baseball tournament.

Maybe if the Spartans were better, you guys would be paying attention to baseball and starting threads and posting about it too.

With so little going on, it?s not surprising there?s nothing else to talk about here except a very good coach at Michigan moving on to the NBA, and who Michigan would end up replacing him with.

If I had gone to State, and was a Spartan fan, with so little else going on in our sports world, I?d probably be paying attention to the Michigan coaching change also.

EDIT: I just realized, since Michigan is your #2 Sports school, I would be remiss in not inviting you at this point to join us in following Michigan baseball in the postseason.

If I had thought of it earlier I would?ve also invited you to follow Michigan softball and women?s lacrosse, unfortunately both of their seasons are over.

After having won the regular Big Ten season championship and the Big Ten tournament, Michigan took a bit of an early unexpected exit near the start of the NCAA tournament.

Lacrosse I think lost the semi finals in the NCAA tournament but I think that?s further than people expected them to go. The program is pretty new, so there could be bright years ahead in women?s lacrosse for Michigan.

Last edited:
They aren?t.

If they were, maybe you guys would pay attention to it, and make posts and threads about it.

I doubt it. I know I wouldn't. It's not a men's/women's thing or a uofm/MSU thing either. I also wouldn't follow or watch if the MSU men's baseball team made a deep run in the CWS. There all pretty boring - I guess it sort of is a men's/women's thing when it comes to basketball but not because I have anything against women playing basketball or any other sport, I just don't find it entertaining. Even if there was more going on in the world of MSU Spring sports, I'd still be much more interested in the Beilein quitting uofm story.

Last edited:
I doubt it. I know I wouldn't. It's not a men's/women's thing or a uofm/MSU thing either. I also wouldn't follow or watch if the MSU men's baseball team made a deep run in the CWS. There all pretty boring - I guess it sort of is a men's/women's thing when it comes to basketball but not because I have anything against women playing basketball or any other sport, I just don't find it entertaining. Even if there was more going on in the world of MSU Spring sports, I'd still be much more interested in the Beilein quitting uofm story.
When you say a men's/women thing several time I'm thinking its a men's women thing for you. At least admit it.

When you say a men's/women thing several time I'm thinking its a men's women thing for you. At least admit it.

I don?t think so; women?s basketball isn?t as entertaining because women aren?t as athletic.

I didn?t watch any women?s basketball except for the last two games Michigan played. They won the first one I watched and they lost the second one I watched.

In softball the chicks are the polar opposite of the generally stoic personae of baseball players - they?re always singing and dancing and doing little chants in the dugout. It?s probably either annoying or cute and adorable-I fall on the side of it?s cute.

Because they?re chicks.

Nebraska, in it's entire program history, has never won an NCAA Tournament game. UM went to 2 Final 4s in the last 7 seasons. Nebraska just made a better and more proven hire than Michigan did. Fred Hoiberg >>> Juwan Howard as a coach, and also comes with none of the character concerns Howard comes with.

UM is going from one of the most experienced proven winners in college basketball in Beilein, who is also considered the cleanest coach in the country and has unquestionable character to a guy who is 0-0 as a coach, took money from Ed Martin during the biggest pay for play scandal in college sports history, has a DUI on his record, has several kids with different women, was sued for giving herpes to women, and was accused of sexual assault when he and a teammate ran a train on a girl (assault charges never pursued and he sued the girl and won, but the sex happening was never in question).

Bravo, congratulations Michigan, you found someone sleazier than Harbaugh.

Last edited:
UM is going from one of the most experienced proven winners in college basketball in Beilein, who is also considered the cleanest coach in the country and has unquestionable character to a guy who is 0-0 as a coach, took money from Ed Martin during the biggest pay for play scandal in college sports history

I almost forgot about that scandal. It really makes this hire a head scratcher.

Back